Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you deal with earache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
OP, I'm sorry. Pardon me while I hi-jack your thread for a sec....

I'm not saying this ISN'T true. But I think it would have to get REALLY bad - like stuff oozing from your ear - before it got to that point. Am I right??? (genuine question)

I only ask b/c I grew up in a poor family. We had no health insurance. More than once, I can remember my ear swelling SHUT. Like, couldn't even get a Q-tip in it, it was h the touch, I could barely get a shirt on b/c the pain from just having the shirt touch my outer ear would send me into tears.... And I never had abx. Maybe once or twice. I swear I spent a good 75% of my childhood with a serious-moderate ear infection in one or both ears.

My hearing is totally fine.

so it makes me wonder how severe would it have to be to get to the point of PERMANENT hearing damage? I've heard of temporary hearing loss, when the eardrum pops from the pressure, and then it heals. But I've truly never heard of anything coming permanent coming from a run-of-the-mill ear infection, even the most painful ones.
You're right...it doesn't ALWAYS cause hearing loss. But to me it's not worth the chance...

I work for an audiologist. We have seen several kids over the past few months with permanent hearing loss (not complete loss...but not "fixable") that is caused by excessive fluid in the ears and/or an ear infection that is not treated or caught. Not all of those kids have loss that requires hearing aids, but let me tell you...fitting a 3 yo with hearing aids is a sad sight.

My niece S has mild loss due to chronic ear infections as a young child. Her mom refused tubes for over 2 years until it got to the point where S was reading lips because her ears were swollen and she couldn't hear clearly. Another friend of a friend has a daughter with mild-moderate hearing loss due to chronic ear infections. Hers is actually bad enough that she is a candidate for hearing aids.

I am not saying that it's all due to parents neglect either...or that ONE infection will cause loss. I don't want to sound snarky. Not all ear infections present with fever or even kids tugging at the ears...so they aren't always obvious.

It's just a chance I am not willing to take with my children...my oldest ds had a winter of ear infections that my previous ped kept throwing amoxicillan at. It was not clearing the infection up...only causing it to hibernate until the abx was out of his system then it would flare up again. I went to an ENT (against my ped's recommendation) and we were one infection from tubes before it finally cleared up.

Example **and I realize this is a stretch** if your child broke an arm...would you attempt to set it at home, or consult a professional? Again...I'm not saying that you (general YOU...not pointing at one person) should run your child to the dr at every complaint of an earache...but also to know when it's more serious than the strength of a home remedy.

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My
Kids have chronic massive ear infections. Tubes help the drain, but they still get them. No hearing loss. But we start ear drops immediately. My son had a horrid infection that did damage to his ear drum once. Luckily his last hearing test was perfect. We don't mess with ear infections but only because ours are chronic.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The OP poster isn't sure that her dd has an ear infection. There are no clear signs. Most doctors these days won't prescribe antibiotics until they are sure the immune system isn't going to fight the infection. I think the OP is just looking for something right now....she will know if the infection is bad enough to take her dd in...her dd will be miserable all the time.

My dd has ruptured her eardrum twice so I totally get the importance of treating infections and the link to hearing loss (she does have some).
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
You're right...it doesn't ALWAYS cause hearing loss. But to me it's not worth the chance...

I work for an audiologist.

Example **and I realize this is a stretch** if your child broke an arm...would you attempt to set it at home, or consult a professional? Again...I'm not saying that you (general YOU...not pointing at one person) should run your child to the dr at every complaint of an earache...but also to know when it's more serious than the strength of a home remedy.
Actually, I *might* try to set it myself, depending on how bad it is.

Ok, in all seriousness, I wasn't attacking you at all, pls don't feel that way. I was just curious b/c I've heard that before, and it just seems very contrary to my own personal experience. I never had tubes put in either, and I really REALLY think I should have. I still suffer ear problems as an adult.

Anyway, thanks for explaining! i was genuinely curious.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Actually, I *might* try to set it myself, depending on how bad it is.

Ok, in all seriousness, I wasn't attacking you at all, pls don't feel that way. I was just curious b/c I've heard that before, and it just seems very contrary to my own personal experience. I never had tubes put in either, and I really REALLY think I should have. I still suffer ear problems as an adult.

Anyway, thanks for explaining! i was genuinely curious.
I didn't fell attacked. I was hoping my response didn't seem too cranky! Before I started this job I didn't know how severe it could be...but I had never dealt with it. I never had ear infections as a child and my ds didn't have one until he was almost 2...and he had very few symptoms.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
mekat
Registered Users

If the pain is only at night then she may just have excess fluid trapped and not an actual infection. When that has happened in the past for my son I was more aggressive treating his reflux and put him on an antihistamine. He was fine within a week. I don't know if it was time or one of the other 2 things I did, however I always have his ped check his ears when there is ear pain present and if it is infected we do antibiotics. I have long suspected my son's ear issues are allergy related since he seems to always have the most problems during the spring months.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not read any responses. Were out since I posted earlier. Thanks in advance... now off to reading!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
If you tug on her earlobe, or rub behind her ear, does it hurt her? Sometimes that can give you some indication of how "sore" it really is.
I cannot trust her answers. She says "yeah" for everything or "no" for everything. She only sometimes truly answers my questions. She has not done so today at all about her ear.

I used to get a lot of ear infections as a kid. I had draining "operations" done 6 times over my first 18 years. - I guess that is the tubes? (I think it is because I practically lived in a swimming pool!)

I remember when I had earache I was so miserable that I couldn't eat, play or do anything. All I could do was sleep. My DD does not seem to be in any pain today.

That is why I am hesitant to take her to the doctor. We have no insurance and it is $150 a pop at her pediatrician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
Just to caution you...if the earache is due to infection...do not take it lightly! If left untreated it can cause permanent hearing loss!! I am not pro-antibiotic, but earaches/infections are not something I'm willing to mess with.

I work for an audiologist and I've seen sad cases where kids were not treated and will have to deal with permanent hearing loss for the rest of their lives. I am not accusing you of that but just want to give a word of caution. Sometimes in our quest to protect our children, we can end up doing more harm than good. (((hugs)))
Thanks. I am aware. My mother was a nurse and with my ears, she kept a close eye on it for this very reason. I will monitor her well tonight and see if I need to take her in to the doctor tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
My
Kids have chronic massive ear infections. Tubes help the drain, but they still get them. No hearing loss. But we start ear drops immediately. My son had a horrid infection that did damage to his ear drum once. Luckily his last hearing test was perfect. We don't mess with ear infections but only because ours are chronic.
I would not say mine was chronic, but I had several before I was 10 and then 2 after I was 16! They are no fun. Good luck to you and your children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
If the pain is only at night then she may just have excess fluid trapped and not an actual infection. When that has happened in the past for my son I was more aggressive treating his reflux and put him on an antihistamine. He was fine within a week. I don't know if it was time or one of the other 2 things I did, however I always have his ped check his ears when there is ear pain present and if it is infected we do antibiotics. I have long suspected my son's ear issues are allergy related since he seems to always have the most problems during the spring months.
Interesting. Reflux and antihistamine? Can you tell me more? This interests me because DD used to throw up a lot of her food as an infant. We had to use special mixture of formula for her food to stay down. To this day, when she coughs a lot she throws up. So, there might be something in this.

Also, the earache I know I had when I had ear infections are much different to what she seems to experience.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

A rice pack, warmed in the microwave usually does the trick. Some aching is normal right after a cold or flu. Doesn't always mean infection.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Unfortunately, GERD and LPR are often overlooked in infants and children, leading to repeated vomiting, coughing in GERD, and airway and respiratory problems in LPR, such as sore throat and ear infections. Most infants grow out of GERD or LPR by the end of their first year, but the problems that resulted from the GERD or LPR may persist.
Source is GERD and APR article sponsored by American Academy of Otlaryngology

My son has severe GERD his entire life (now 8yo), so I know it is a factor for him but how much of a factor in the ear infections is an unknown. I can tell you he already has stunted growth, feeding difficulties and one apparent life threatening event from GERD and poor GI motility. Even if your child doesn't present as severely it is possible GERD or previous damage from GERD could be compounding the problem.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote