Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
8? Diapers. My son went through at least 20 sposies a day the 8 days we had him in sposies. You would need to wash 3 times daily to keep up. If he won't allow more diapers than that can you try for 2-3 covers and use receiving blankets as flats? Our first cloth diapers were receiving blankets. They worked great. I still sometimes use them on our youngest because of the cute prints.
WOW... Even when DS was a newborn we never went through more than 10 diapers a day, and that includes days with super frequent poops. And that was really the high end for him...
Just another example of how many diapers needed really just depends on the child!

Advertisement

Last edited by ChihuahuaMama13; 10-25-2012 at 05:33 PM.
ChihuahuaMama13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: enough diapers??

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1455585&page=6

Most people don't even think 12 diapers is enough - let alone 8. With 8 there will be days when you need to wash twice a day, and you will ALWAYS need to use the dryer - this means that your diapers will break down and fall apart in no time at all. If you try to go at cloth diapering with 8, chances are really good you are going to give up and quit because it is "to much laundry" and your diapers are falling apart. I know a lot of people hate on Babyland diapers, but I've got 6 and they work wonderfully for me. YOu can get them on Ebay for about $2.50 each.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
LleytonandJaydensmommy
DO NOT FSOT with! Unresolved transaction issues 2/2013!

My Mood:

The babyland are the 8 we have lol
LleytonandJaydensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LleytonandJaydensmommy View Post
The babyland are the 8 we have lol
Oh... Ummm hate to break it to you, those CAN NOT be put in the dryer often, the covers need to air dry. If you want to use exclusive cloth, you will need a 3 day supply of Babyland: 1 washing, 1 drying, 1 wearing. Babyland diapers are great - I love mine - but mine are in a medium sized rotation. If you were to be washing/dryer drying a Babyland 2X a day I don't think you would get more than 4 months out of them.

Also, with only 8 diapers the cost of washing 6 diapers at a time will QUICKLY negate all savings from not buying any more.

What about if you bought a small stash of prefolds/flats, and cut the fleece out of 4 of your pockets turning them into covers for the small stash of prefolds/flats? That way you would still have 4 pockets, but also now have 4 covers that could be hand washed and re-used?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Does he not realize the cost of disposables?

I'm sorry to be blunt but at some point, this becomes about a baby's needs and not mama's fluff wants. Yes, my husband has the right to poke fun at me if I buy more diapers. I have more than we *need*. However, diapers are a necessity for babies and part of having children. Getting lower quality, less than needed product for my child would never fly.

If Babyland cheapies work for you, great! Your husband is lucky you aren't spending $10/diaper USED (even if it still saves money). For diapers like that, you need 12-24 for a reasonable stash and more importantly, your *baby* deserves good diapers on his bum.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went through 20-24 changes a day during the newborn stage with my daughter. I can't imagine having so few diapers.

You should have 20 diapers at the very least. That is washing every 1 1/2 days.

You can buy 10 diapers/10 inserts lot (Babyland from Ebay with free shipping) for around $40 without really looking too hard -buy it now. (Cheaper if you stalk and bid low on lots of auctions) and 20 diaper/20 insert lots for about $70.

OR you could buy a box of disposables for $25.... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pampers-Ba...-size/19237606

A little math
$70 for 20 more diapers that can be reused OR
size 1 you get 128 diapers...x3=384 diapers IF you only use 10 a day... That is 38 days worth of disposables for $75.

(**PS I don't like babyland. I think they end up leaking after only a few months. If you want to go inexpensive... I would go with Alva brand. http://www.alvababy.com/ Under combination products you will see 20 solid diapers cost $84 (not sure the shipping). These will last longer and are much better quality!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
MommaKatie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry your SO isn't wrapping his head around how many diapers are necessary. Maybe you could get away with 8 sposies a day but that's not even close to enough diapers to make cloth diapering full time manageable. Once you're LO is fitting into onesize diapers. I'd try to sell about $80-$90 worth of newborn stuff, which is approximately 2 large cases of disposables and do one of the following

Diaper Junction
-5 Diaper Rite onesize covers (color options are limited right now) --$44.74
-3 dozen small flats-- you could maybe get by with 2 dozen, but 3dz. would let you double up for naps/night -- $52.50
- $44.75 + $52.50= $97.25
- you could do a product review for a 10% off coupon and your total would be
$97.25 - $9.73 = 87.77

Cotton Babies
- 5 Econobum covers @ $8.95 = $44.75
- 24 infant prefolds for pad folding @ $36
- Total 44.75+36= $80.75- $4.04 coupon "bestdeal" for 5%= $76.71

Alva Baby
- 6 pockets to use as a cover @~$5 each = $30
-3 dozen Diaper Rite small flats @52.50 - 10% coupon= $47.25
total= $77.25

Granted there are tons of options out there and these are prices for new things. I'm sure you could decrease this amount by shopping FSOT. I hope things work out so you don't have to stress and baby has what s/he needs.

Last edited by MommaKatie; 10-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.
MommaKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysmama
He is probably thinking about how long people let their kids sit in sposies or maybe he is thinking of a toddler than can go all day with just 5 or 6 diapers. Not a newborn! Honestly, I'm not sure you can go a day with that stash. My baby went through 16 to 18 diapers in a day as a newby and you need something to put on the baby while you are washing/drying.
This. Our newbie went through about 20 a day, whether cloth or disposable - he pooped so often!
and the joy my children bring!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote