Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Mama-spud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
constant redness...help!

My 10 month old guy's bum is constantly red. Not a rash exactly, just redness all over. I'd been using rockin green for probably 5 months (called them to make sure i had the right hardness for my zipcode) without problems until probably a couple of months ago. have switched to tide original liquid this week and first couple of days, no problems. now the redness is back. it isn't food b/c a few days in disposables and no redness at all OR when i use the bummis flushable liners no redness. the rest of his skin looks fine (i wash everything RnG...and now tide). i also used RLR stripper a few weeks back (and have in the past without issue).

i'm so frustrated i could scream. it must be the soap right?? or is the ammonia maybe??

i use cotton prefolds and a few tot bot pockets whatever that lining is. i've noticed that on the changes that are redder he smells like a barn. at nights when i've used the bummis liners and an additional doubler, he hasn't smelled like barn in the morning and no red bum even after 12 hours.

my routine for my old school top loader is a warm cycle with nothing added. then a hot regular or heavy cycle with 2.5-3 tablespoons or Rng before or now up to line 1 on tide. then 2-3 warm or cold cycles to rinse. i'm pretty sure if the oceans are shrinking it's b/c of my many many rinses, but i kept hoping maybe i just wasn't getting the soap out.

help! please!

Advertisement

Mama-spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: constant redness...help!

Sounds like he may need a stay dry liner. I just use a thin microfleece blanket from the dollar store that I cut to fit perfectly inside the diaper. If you smell barn yard I would do a wash with some bleach 1/4 cup to kill off any bacteria and you might want to use more detergent since things are not getting clean if they stink.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

It sounds like a combo of dirty diapers and sensitivity to wetness. The bacteria lingering in the diapers is likely contributing to the redness. Have you tried bleach? That would be my first step to disinfect before I would put them back on. It is possible that neither RnG not Tide are working for you. I do use Tide but powder works better for my TL. I would wash again and this time add 1/2 cup bleach. Then I would also add a fleece liner to all of his prefolds. The other thing is try to get him as much air time as possible.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was also going to suggest fleece liners. My DD gets redness too, she has SUPER sensitive skin, and this has made a big difference for us.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

We have the same problem. I don't think it's our soap or wash routine because LO also has constant redness in the insides of the elbows, and splotchy redness on the belly. Currently trying sposies at night to see if hat helps. We had microfleece liners at night for a while with no change in the redness, but maybe adding them during the day would help...?
SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Have you checked to make sure there aren't any suds in the final rinse? We had redness and stink after the diapers were peed in (which means detergent buildup). I rinsed the diapers a million times this weekend and the redness is going away. I would say check the rinse water and if it's taking tons of rinses to get clean then use less detergent. If thu stink fresh out of the wash then you need more detergent, but if they only stink after being peed in, the detergent probably hasn't been rinsed out all the way.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have to use fleece liners with DD without them she used get red and seemed to be in pain when wiped. I would also recommend adding some bleach to wash routine to help with barn smell.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Around that age we started having major rash issues. DD all the sudden needed stay dry diapers.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Mama-spud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the ideas! i've got oxygen bleach. is that kind ok? can i bleach my pockets and covers too or just the prefolds?
Mama-spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Use regular old clorox and bleach everything.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote