Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: constant redness...help!

Try adding about 6-10 squirts of Bac Out to your first wash cycle. I resisted this advise for so long, thinking that Bac Out needed to be sitting on the diapers for longer time periods in order to be effective. It has enzymes in it, so I thought it needed time to work.

Well, once I finally decided to try it, based on some wash advise I was given, I have noticed a big improvement! Then after that I do a hot wash with detergent added and the extra rinse. I guess Bac Out is an awesome surfactant and it really must help! I only use about 2T of detergent.

Also, make sure you are only washing as many diapers as your machine can agitate. Sometimes when I cram too many in there, they do not get clean enough.

My baby gets red when my diapers are not getting clean. Hope that helps!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
It sounds like a combo of dirty diapers and sensitivity to wetness. The bacteria lingering in the diapers is likely contributing to the redness. Have you tried bleach? That would be my first step to disinfect before I would put them back on. It is possible that neither RnG not Tide are working for you. I do use Tide but powder works better for my TL. I would wash again and this time add 1/2 cup bleach. Then I would also add a fleece liner to all of his prefolds. The other thing is try to get him as much air time as possible.
I agree with all of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThing View Post
We have the same problem. I don't think it's our soap or wash routine because LO also has constant redness in the insides of the elbows, and splotchy redness on the belly. Currently trying sposies at night to see if hat helps. We had microfleece liners at night for a while with no change in the redness, but maybe adding them during the day would help...?
sounds like it could be eczema? breathability often helps but each little one is different. my little guy does best in a suedecloth lined diaper, fleece will make him red after a short time.

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

i would try liner or sween cream.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
It sounds like a combo of dirty diapers and sensitivity to wetness. The bacteria lingering in the diapers is likely contributing to the redness. Have you tried bleach? That would be my first step to disinfect before I would put them back on. It is possible that neither RnG not Tide are working for you. I do use Tide but powder works better for my TL. I would wash again and this time add 1/2 cup bleach. Then I would also add a fleece liner to all of his prefolds. The other thing is try to get him as much air time as possible.
this but I add less bleach (1/4 cup)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you considered trying Elimination Communication? We stared at 9 months and we'd have fully or almost dry days with some good timing.

I recommend The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Christine Gross-Loh, it's a good book that is not preachy for part-time and late starting EC. The name is a little extreme.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote