Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pocket Diapers as Covers???

Ok all, I've been here a while and happy with my diapers so far. However, I'm starting to get a lot of leaks with my single layer microfiber pocket inserts. I use all pockets, though I have a handful of snap-ins. I hate doubling the microfiber because of bulk and I can't stand the smell of hemp. I always loved my prefolds but I sold them all off along with my covers to make the stash most user-friendly. Because LO is more of a heavy wetter now that he's older, I'd kinda like to go back to prefolds... But I don't want to spend the $$ on a whole new stash. Can I just dump the microfiber and use prefolds trifolded as lay-ins... Like not stuffing the pocket just using the shell as a cover? I have a variety of brands. I'd love to just order some yellow edged imagines and get rid of my inserts. Anyone else do this? Potential problems? Thoughts? Thanks!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum

Advertisement

Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I have heard of people doing it. Why don't you want to stuff the prefold in the pocket? And we use flats in our pockets... Another option that might be a little cheaper
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pocket Diapers as Covers???

Yes, definitely! I think the main drawback is that you cannot reuse a pocket as a cover because the suede cloth gets wet. Well, I suppose you could reuse it...but you know . I've used my BG 4.0s as covers before when I didn't have time to stuff. They work just like a Flip!
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
Ok all, I've been here a while and happy with my diapers so far. However, I'm starting to get a lot of leaks with my single layer microfiber pocket inserts. I use all pockets, though I have a handful of snap-ins. I hate doubling the microfiber because of bulk and I can't stand the smell of hemp. I always loved my prefolds but I sold them all off along with my covers to make the stash most user-friendly. Because LO is more of a heavy wetter now that he's older, I'd kinda like to go back to prefolds... But I don't want to spend the $$ on a whole new stash. Can I just dump the microfiber and use prefolds trifolded as lay-ins... Like not stuffing the pocket just using the shell as a cover? I have a variety of brands. I'd love to just order some yellow edged imagines and get rid of my inserts. Anyone else do this? Potential problems? Thoughts? Thanks!!

Can't see why not? Softbums are like this with the fleece inner. I think as long as the fleece does not get too wet and does not get stinky there should not be a problem. It's not like the fleece is touching baby anyway if there is a new prefold in there. You could always air dry between changes and rotate a few pockets right.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahknavy
I have heard of people doing it. Why don't you want to stuff the prefold in the pocket? And we use flats in our pockets... Another option that might be a little cheaper
IDK, maybe for the same reason I hate doubling the microfiber... some pockets are a PITA to stuff and shoving a whole prefold in there sounds exhausting.
But even if I had to wash the shell EVERY change that's better than him loading the microfiber with pee so full it overflows every time, kwim? Right now I'm washing diapers AND clothes like crazy... and the smell of pee is driving me crazy!!!

Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

are you sure they're not repelling and that's why you're getting leaks?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbeam
are you sure they're not repelling and that's why you're getting leaks?
Yep, he just pees a lot. The microfiber insert is soaked and heavy every time.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had leaks if not stuff but like prefolds in my pockets. Unless u wrap around with pins/snappi/biongo.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yep..u can do it but IMO prefolds are pretty bulky in a pocket......I have a heavy wetter and I've been having success with using 1 microfiber insert and adding a alva 3 layer bamboo! ...There is a co op going right now to get em super cheap! But yeah..u can use the pocket like a cover and u can reuse it a couple times that way if the fleece doesn't get too wet. It would be just like any other cover that has a lining!

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Poodlemum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use all my pockets as covers because DD can't use minky, but I'm not going to get rid of my favourite diapers! So I just lay in a prefold and they actually last longer lol. So much easier too. Unless the inner feels wet or gets poopy, I'll reuse it once. It is a bit more bulky, but it's what I have on hand and I'm too lazy to make a bunch of bamboo fleece trifolds :P
Poodlemum is offline   Reply With Quote