Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DH and I both work full time, and I have a 2-year old DS. I've debated if I will quit to homeschool when that time comes. I have a masters degree in teaching, so I feel pretty confidant, despite the negative comments I get from ALL members of my family (DH included). He thinks DS will perpetually be behind other kids his age. Are there any preschool programs or suggestions I can do with DS now to show DH that is not the case, and get him on board? FWIW, he thought I was CRAZY to want to ERF, but when I showed him the videos, his tune quickly changed and now he speaks as passionately as I do about it, so he IS open-minded.

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it too early?

I really don't think it's too early to start some things. I taught my DD her alphabet, numbers up to 10, shapes and colors at age 2. I didn't use a curriculum. We read a lot, sang songs, counted everything, looked for shapes everywhere, talked about colors with everything, etc.

Had I known about this company at that age I may have bought this curriculum though: http://www.timberdoodle.com/Preschoo...-preschool.htm

DD is 4 now and she is completing Kindergarten this year with a mixture of books I thought were at her level. She will start Timberdoodle's first grade curriculum in August (with a little tweaking for math). I'm due with my second DD in April and I plan on using Timberdoodle's curriculum with her too.

for the negativity you are receiving. It may take the nay sayers seeing that your DS is learning to change their minds. DD is way ahead of others her age and I firmly believe it's because we've taken the time to teach her at home. Most people, public school teachers included, always say they can tell she is homeschooled because she is so smart and inquisitive
Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So you would say its worth the price point? I found one on amazon "teach my toddler" but I'm thinking that one is for newbies who don't have a firm grasp of what to buy?

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
croark
Registered Users
seller

You can try but if the child isn't ready, it just may not happen. My 3 yr old hears K lessons I'm doing with my 6 yr old. She still can't count to 10 (though she tries and loves to count). Doesn't know letters and its obvious to me when I try to show her that she doesn't get it. She still doesn't know all her colors either and we have been working on it. But she's just 3, after all.

What I'm trying to say is that some kids pick up that stuff fast and early. Others don't. And I think forcing it at such a young age is so unnecessary. If your child is ready for it, then great! Go for it. But what if your 2 yr old is one of those that just isn't developmentally ready for that? How will u feel? And will your husband blame u instead of understanding that the child just wasn't ready?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
So you would say its worth the price point? I found one on amazon "teach my toddler" but I'm thinking that one is for newbies who don't have a firm grasp of what to buy?

In my opinion, I think it is worth the price point. We spent well over that amount in both educational and non-educational toys and such, I'd rather have bought the kit. However, my family is on such a tight budget I wouldn't be able to pay for it all at once. What I would do is pick what I wanted the most out of it and buy a little at a time. That's how we are buying DD's first grade curriculum.

I'm not familiar with "teach my toddler". I'll have to check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
You can try but if the child isn't ready, it just may not happen. My 3 yr old hears K lessons I'm doing with my 6 yr old. She still can't count to 10 (though she tries and loves to count). Doesn't know letters and its obvious to me when I try to show her that she doesn't get it. She still doesn't know all her colors either and we have been working on it. But she's just 3, after all.

What I'm trying to say is that some kids pick up that stuff fast and early. Others don't. And I think forcing it at such a young age is so unnecessary. If your child is ready for it, then great! Go for it. But what if your 2 yr old is one of those that just isn't developmentally ready for that? How will u feel? And will your husband blame u instead of understanding that the child just wasn't ready?
Great points! My DD was ready so we went with it. But basically through everyday play and events. I never sat her down and did "school". She would have never gone for that. I like Timberdoodle's curriculum for that age because it is taught through play and lots of hands on. my DD would have loved that, she's not the flash card type learner. I never forced anything on her, that is unnecessary and would create problems I'm sure. Learning should be fun. Pick what fits, when it fits. That's one reason we have to tweak her math for next year. Even though she can now count to 30, she hasn't been ready to do more than that. She's just now showing some interest and understanding in counting coins, subtraction/addition, concepts of more and less, etc.

Last edited by Southern Momma; 01-17-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma

Great points! My DD was ready so we went with it. But basically through everyday play and events. I never sat her down and did "school". She would have never gone for that. I like Timberdoodle's curriculum for that age because it is taught through play and lots of hands on. my DD would have loved that, she's not the flash card type learner. I never forced anything on her, that is unnecessary and would create problems I'm sure. Learning should be fun. Pick what fits, when it fits. That's one reason we have to tweak her math for next year. Even though she can now count to 30, she hasn't been ready to do more than that. She's just now showing some interest and understanding in counting coins, subtraction/addition, concepts of more and less, etc.
So then it's kinda like 1+1+1=1, where you "play" till there done, which I kinda liked?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Southern Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
So then it's kinda like 1+1+1=1, where you "play" till there done, which I kinda liked?
You are referring to http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/20...re-do-i-begin/, right? I had never seen this site before but I LOVE it!

Yes, this is what I did with DD and she responded really well to this approach.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma

You are referring to http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/20...re-do-i-begin/, right? I had never seen this site before but I LOVE it!

Yes, this is what I did with DD and she responded really well to this approach.
Yes, that's the one. Maybe I'll get a few items in the kit you showed me, and add it to what we already have here.