Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
futurestar2012
Registered Users

What do you look for in Diaper material?

What kind of material are you looking for in your cloth diapers , when buying ?

Advertisement

futurestar2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What do you look for in Diaper material?

Are you writing an article? Every single one of your posts sounds like research.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
futurestar2012
Registered Users

Yes, it is research, it is called " a clueless son to be father " research lol...Typically I live a natural healthy lifestyle, but have no clue how it will be used in regards to my child.

I want to gather all the info that I can.

I see , cotton, wool, nylon, etc.. not sure of the pros and cons of each and want to know what others use and prefer...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
futurestar2012
Registered Users

Yes, my wife is a teacher and tutor and works quite a bit, I work in finance and work independently, So I have the time to do the research for our little one, I have seen people using wool and cotton, which one is the best to you guys and which have you used, if you have anything different that you have used please say?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cotton and bamboo are absorbent but don't wick away moisture. (If you wet at flannel blanket... the flannel would absorb the moisture BUT if you held it against your skin you might feel that wetness.) Prefolds, flats, or fitted are usually cotton or bamboo. They need a waterproof cover. AIO's or pockets can also be cotton or bamboo.
I prefer a fleece/micro fleece to touch the baby skin. It wicks away the mosture so there is no wet feeling BUT you need something else to absorb. I like microfiber. (think car drying towels found in the automotive section. They absorb a ton of liquid. But you would not want that next to baby's skin).Most pockets have a microfleece interior and microfiber insert.
Wool... You have to hand wash it, You have to lanolize it, It has a long dry time. It can be expensive. (It can be done cheaply if you upcycle wool sweaters into soakers and longies. Plenty of tutorials on-line if you know someone with basic sewing skills.)
The benefit is that it is breathable and natural. It's also cute!
Nylon ...I guess maybe bummis might be nylon? covers. Basically a waterproof cover to put over a prefold or fitted diaper.
PUL(polyurethane laminated fabric) is a common material for covers or pockets. It is waterproof, breathable, and comes in a variety of colors and prints.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
FunLovinMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you are looking for the most natural option I would go with organic or unbleached cotton and wool covers. I prefer to have natural fibers on my babe and it makes washing much easier too!

Tags
cloth, cotton, diaper, material, wood