Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
MrsFishyMarineWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS is 2.5 and had long hair with amazing curls. I went to get it trimmed and the lady cut SO much hair off. he looks more like a girl now than he did with long hair. I'll be growing it out.

To the OP in this picture he looks like a girl and to me it's because of the hair tie.

I don't agree with cutting it just others don't wonder if he's a boy or a girl. A lot of people have said what a pretty girl he is when he's in the most obivious boy clothes. It doesn't really bother me.

Advertisement

DH is HOME from Afghan!
MrsFishyMarineWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
Personally, it is the rare toddler boy that has long hair that doesn't look like a girl to me. I like my little boy to look like a little boy. Babies don't have long hair, so I've never understood the whole "i can't cut it, he'll look all grown up" thing YK? We keep DS's trimmed every other month or so, and he looks adorable. He likes going for a hair cut, we take him to a small place that is similar to cookie cutters in that they have the toy cars, TV's, etc and do a great job. He moves all over the place in the car and they just move with him.

It's obviously your personaly preference. But yes, he does look like a girl with the length of the hair and the way you've got it tied back...if that doesn't bother you though, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
This. I prefer boyish hair cuts on boys. When toddler/ preschool boys have long hair thy do look like girls. If that doesn't bother you then don't it it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is 5 and often wears his hair in a "top pony" as he calls it. He goes to school with it in and doesn't care about what others think, he likes long hair. His response to being told he "looks like a girl" is "Samurai Warrior wear their hair like this" or "I don't care". He is also a big NHL fan and will list off his favorite long haired hockey players.
He honestly doesn't care. He did ask for a cut recently and he was very happy with it, me not so much but it has grown back nicely.
If he willingly wears his hair like that and doesn't seem bothered by it why not just leave it, if that is what you want.
Here is my son. There is no part he just kind of shakes his hair to one side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4220039376.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	122815  

Last edited by mmmom; 10-26-2012 at 05:42 PM.
mmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: toddler boys with long hair...cut the bangs or let it all grow?

this is my 2 yr old a few months ago. never been cut. sometimes we put it one or 2 pony tails or a headband. I could care less if people think he's a girl. even when my older boys had short hair and no earrings, wearing construction shirts, people would call them girls. Now he and 3 of my teens have looooong hair and the teens have earrings. I love long hair on boys, but whatevs

Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Personally, it is the rare toddler boy that has long hair that doesn't look like a girl to me. I like my little boy to look like a little boy. Babies don't have long hair, so I've never understood the whole "i can't cut it, he'll look all grown up" thing YK? We keep DS's trimmed every other month or so, and he looks adorable. He likes going for a hair cut, we take him to a small place that is similar to cookie cutters in that they have the toy cars, TV's, etc and do a great job. He moves all over the place in the car and they just move with him.

It's obviously your personaly preference. But yes, he does look like a girl with the length of the hair and the way you've got it tied back...if that doesn't bother you though, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Me too. I'm not one of these gender neutral people. I like boys to look like boys, and to me your boy looks like a girl. It does make them look more grown up, IMO, when you get their hair cut, but he *is* growing up. There's no point trying to hide it.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Me too. I'm not one of these gender neutral people. I like boys to look like boys, and to me your boy looks like a girl. It does make them look more grown up, IMO, when you get their hair cut, but he *is* growing up. There's no point trying to hide it.
Woah. I'm not trying to "hide" anything. I am very much aware that he is growing up, please don't make me out to be an idiot like I'm denying it.
I don't mind his hair long, I just dont care for it in his face. I suppose if I had posted a picture of him in a collared shirt and shorts as opposed to just a diaper (my bad!) he wouldn't look as much like a girl.

Last edited by corinne76; 10-26-2012 at 08:12 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #27
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
well this momma loves boys with long hair, I don't care if ppl think our youngest is a girl, I let ppl opinions make me get our ODS hair cut and the textures completely different now and he hates it. FWIW I've always trimmed my boys bangs, I couldn't stand seeing them w hair in their eyes, I use a razor so it looks really natural.

if u like it long and he's comfy let it grow, u can always cut/trim it later
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
redrach09
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for posting this. I have not cut my 19 month old's hair and have been having issues with his bangs as well. I am now going to try the headband thing to train his hair.

People think both he and my 4 month old are girls. Most of the time I just say thanks and move on. Im not too concerned if people know my child's sex/gender or not.
redrach09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post
Woah. I'm not trying to "hide" anything. I am very much aware that he is growing up, please don't make me out to be an idiot like I'm denying it.
I don't mind his hair long, I just dont care for it in his face. I suppose if I had posted a picture of him in a collared shirt and shorts as opposed to just a diaper (my bad!) he wouldn't look as much like a girl.
I didn't mean that offensively. Sorry if it came across that way. I have different hair preferences than you and that is no biggie. I just don't understand when people say they want their boys hair long so they won't look so grown up, or they want them to wear rompers when they are 3 so he doesn't look like a "little man" or whatever. They grow up. Goodness knows it happens all too fast. I only said that because to me your other post sounded like you didn't want to cut it because you didn't want him to look older.

Last edited by jen_batten; 10-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #30
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I didn't mean that offensively. Sorry if it came across that way. I have different hair preferences than you and that is no biggie. I just don't understand when people say they want their boys hair long so they won't look so grown up, or they want them to wear rompers when they are 3 so he doesn't look like a "little man" or whatever. They grow up. Goodness knows it happens all too fast. I only said that because to me your first post sounded like you didn't want to cut it because you didn't want him to look older.
I'm sorry too. I'm getting defensive. Part of me dreads cutting it because he still has that cute baby-ish face YKIW? you know how some toddlers just look older? DD looked older than her age, still does. DS has that joyful baby face so cutting it would add to the "I'm almost 2" factor. But yeah, you're right. He's growing up.
As far as the hair, I'm not against long hair. I think it can look cute if it's managed. When I do gel it to the side, he definitely looks like a boy. I think for now, I'm going to try training it so we can do without the pony tail. If his hair gets out of control, then yes I'm most likely going to cut it. Just have noooo idea what style or how I would get it cut