Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #31
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247

Because it's unnecessary, and if they don't want it cut, it's not my choice. It's their hair. I try not to force them to do anything that isn't really necessary for their health or learning responsibility/how to live. It just seems silly to me. I guess I ask the opposite question of yours: what's the point of cutting it?

My oldest asked for a haircut at 5, he really wanted a mohawk, so he got it. I'm not a big fan of it, and put it off for a bit But ultimately, it's not my hair and it looks presentable. My middle asked around 4 and he has a pretty traditional cut, but a little longer....they didn't use the clippers on him.
I agree.

This is my three year old son. He doesn't look like a baby to me, avoiding looking older is not the reason that he has long hair. He likes his hair. Like I like mine, and like my husband misses having a mohawk.

(obviously I don't let him leave home in basketball pants, cowboy boots, and last year's garaminals tees, but he was playing)
He gets called a girl in his tractor shirts, boy cut jeans, and spider man shoes. He doesn't care at all. I don't rock the boat mostly. I just smile when sometime says i have pretty girls. My four year old daughter quickly tells anyone that he's a boy though.

My family jokes and teases him about needing it cut. He doesn't care. A couple weeks ago he told my cousin that Samson had long hair

Advertisement

Last edited by Dory; 10-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: toddler boys with long hair...cut the bangs or let it all grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Personally, it is the rare toddler boy that has long hair that doesn't look like a girl to me. I like my little boy to look like a little boy.
Even with short hair my boy didn't look like a boy, I guess it's not just hair that gives that "look"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFishyMarineWife View Post
DS is 2.5 and had long hair with amazing curls. I went to get it trimmed and the lady cut SO much hair off. he looks more like a girl now than he did with long hair. I'll be growing it out.

I don't agree with cutting it just others don't wonder if he's a boy or a girl. A lot of people have said what a pretty girl he is when he's in the most obivious boy clothes. It doesn't really bother me.
BTDT and regretted it, the curls bounced up and looked so girlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
My son is 5 and often wears his hair in a "top pony" as he calls it. He goes to school with it in and doesn't care about what others think, he likes long hair. His response to being told he "looks like a girl" is "Samurai Warrior wear their hair like this" or "I don't care". He is also a big NHL fan and will list off his favorite long haired hockey players.
He honestly doesn't care. He did ask for a cut recently and he was very happy with it, me not so much but it has grown back nicely.
If he willingly wears his hair like that and doesn't seem bothered by it why not just leave it, if that is what you want.
Here is my son. There is no part he just kind of shakes his hair to one side
I LOVE the way he thinks, mine has hair almost to his bum but also is very into pink and purple which doesn't help Regardless in boys clothes hair in hood at the park they still say "she" as his face is more feminine.

When people tease him he tells them to bug off, that he likes it and that is ALL that matters!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #33
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is an interesting thread! I do think parents should do whatever feels right; hair is a way of having some self-expression. I remember growing up with other girls whose parents insisted they keep their hair long even though they wanted it short, and I thought that was a weird thing to control. As for why I like my boys to have short hair - I like them to look like little boys. When they are ready to take care of their hair regularly etc, they can choose the cut/style. They don't love haircuts, but they also don't love nail trimmings, nose-blowing, teeth-brushing...in general they aren't yet much into grooming.

To the OP -- I agree w/the others that if you prefer to keep it long, try to find a different way to keep it out of his face. I would probably paste it into place with hair gel Or see if he will wear a sweat band! I like the suggestion to razor-cut his bangs, I think they would look very cute just above his eyes in a natural (not blunt cut) style.

I like long-ish hair on my DH, but he has thick hair and complains about it being sweaty so I have to just settle for these guys instead

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...w=1024&bih=510

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #34
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
This is an interesting thread! I do think parents should do whatever feels right; hair is a way of having some self-expression. I remember growing up with other girls whose parents insisted they keep their hair long even though they wanted it short, and I thought that was a weird thing to control. As for why I like my boys to have short hair - I like them to look like little boys. When they are ready to take care of their hair regularly etc, they can choose the cut/style. They don't love haircuts, but they also don't love nail trimmings, nose-blowing, teeth-brushing...in general they aren't yet much into grooming.

To the OP -- I agree w/the others that if you prefer to keep it long, try to find a different way to keep it out of his face. I would probably paste it into place with hair gel Or see if he will wear a sweat band! I like the suggestion to razor-cut his bangs, I think they would look very cute just above his eyes in a natural (not blunt cut) style.

I like long-ish hair on my DH, but he has thick hair and complains about it being sweaty so I have to just settle for these guys instead

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...w=1024&bih=510
My 4 year old has long hair, and he looks very much like a boy. Of course, we still sometimes have people call him a girl, but he dresses way boyish (dino and monster truck shirts all the way) and I kind of feel like people should be able to figure it out on their own. Plus now that he's 4 he tells anyone who calls him a girl that he's a boy.

I also like that he notices more than hair length on other people. If he sees a man with long hair he will still refer to him as "he" or a girl with very short hair, he'll know is a she.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #35
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like long hair on boys. Both of my kids have had the top ponytail at some point. I think it's adorable and I don't really care if people think they like girls. My husband wore his hair like that for a long time as a teenager and I still have s soft spot for it. Ironically, I keep my hair really short because hair on my neck bugs me.
If they ask for a haircut we go get one. Lately ds1 has preferred to keep his hair shorter but I still go specifically out of my way to make sure he doesn't end up with the standard "little boy" haircut because I don't like the way it looks.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #36
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son has always had long hair. He is 4. His hair is/was straight and fine also and it was always getting in his face but I would just swipe it away and eventually it was long enough to part to the side. It just took patience on my part. I like it long. my DH also used to wear his hair long and he likes DSs hair too. honestly everyone always told me to cut it because it was driving him crazy but he doesn't care. it was really driving them crazy. I have to admit I think it's so rude when someone tells me I need to cut his hair so he will look like a boy. What you look like does not make you who you are. Then there is the issue of it just not being very nice. if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all... I don't tell them that I think their kids bowl hair cut or humongous bow looks ridiculous because I don't want to hurt feelings and I'm not the parent. I also don't care if my boy wants to wear pink or purple. I don't want to teach him macho gender stereotypes like long hair and pink and dolls are for girls.

That being said if he wanted to cut it I would totally be ok with that! same for my DD.

Last edited by justineybean; 10-27-2012 at 06:39 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #37
bea2269
Registered Users

My ds is the youngest, and his 3 siblings are girls. That definitely changes my outlook I think. I've dealt with 3 kids worth of long hair, growing out bangs, hair training and so on. I am excited to finally be able to cut off some hair and not deal with it. Haha! It has ended up being a moot point however. He is 17 months old and barely has any hair. I normally don't assign gender to others while out; just because I'm not really sure anymore. I normally just comment on cuteness and leave gender out of it.
bea2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #38
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I just like long hair on boys and guys. Weirdly I prefer short hair on girls and women. I need to try and train DS's hair because he has no natural part
Here is a current picture of him but his hair has been longer and shorter. I don't really think cutting bangs on a boy looks good.
Attachment 122808
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
My son is 5 and often wears his hair in a "top pony" as he calls it. He goes to school with it in and doesn't care about what others think, he likes long hair. His response to being told he "looks like a girl" is "Samurai Warrior wear their hair like this" or "I don't care". He is also a big NHL fan and will list off his favorite long haired hockey players.
He honestly doesn't care. He did ask for a cut recently and he was very happy with it, me not so much but it has grown back nicely.
If he willingly wears his hair like that and doesn't seem bothered by it why not just leave it, if that is what you want.
Here is my son. There is no part he just kind of shakes his hair to one side
I think these two cuts look more boyish. I also mistake boys for girls with long hair, but probably not these two. That being said, do what you want until they are old enough to decide.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
lizzy911
Registered Users

I think he looks cute but I would probably cut it. It really has a feminine look to it right now. If you were fine with that, I wouldn't bother, but it sounds like you want people to know he's a boy.
lizzy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #40
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think he looks adorable!! My ds has long hair too though

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote