Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #71
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: toddler boys with long hair...cut the bangs or let it all grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish View Post
Completely get your point. Can I ask a serious question though? Personally, I just feel bad if I can't tell if it's a boy or girl. I wouldn't say a have a problem with long hair on boys at all, I just feel bad when I don't know what pronoun to use.

Any suggestions on how to handle that? Do you, as a "boys with long hair mama" take offense when someone isn't sure?
It doesn't bother me and it doesn't bother Kearnan. He is plenty old enough to correct people and usually will just say "I'm a boy" or "it's sir not ma'am" when people address him incorrectly. He is called a girl no matter what he does, even when he was a bald baby people told me he was too pretty to be a boy and he does have very delicate little features. Even now that he is getting older he just hasn't grown into a more masculine face. The only time it bothers me is when people argue with me about his gender, as a parent I do know if my child is a boy or girl, or when people are rude about it. The teacher who bullied him about his hair, or the occasional child who just won't drop it bothers me. But more and more other kids think his hair is cool and stick up for him.

Tharen never seems to have this problem. He has curly hair down to his shoulders now and he is actually prone to wearing girl's clothes and loves colorful clippies but somehow everyone just knows he is a boy. I think he has been referred to as "she" maybe 5 times in his entire life.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #72
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I wouldn't cut bangs on a boy. I'm all or nothing. Cut it all or not at all
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #73
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I vote no on the bangs, just let it all grow. I think trying to train it to go to the sides with clips or whatever, would be better than pulling it back.
I made the mistake of cutting my ds's hair several months ago, and I will never do it again, until he insists. It is growing back now, just long enough to start curling again.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #74
xolani
Registered Users
seller

I kinda see what everyone is saying, but I feel that cutting his hair because you don't want him to look like a girl, or not cutting it because you don't want to lose that "baby" part of him (or if you are trying to make some sort of "boys can have long hair too" statement)...they are both about YOU, not him. So it evens out, and you can pick whichever you prefer.
xolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #75
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
In what context do you need to reference a strangers child as a specific gender?
Well, of course, you don't HAVE to! I just find that I will naturally talk to the parents and say something like, "He's so cute! How old is he?"

Glad to know most mama's don't take offense! I've always wondered!

DS2 was referred to as a "she" or "sister" a few times while trick or treating. But I totally got that...he was dressed as a puppy and only the front of his brown hair was peaking out. Didn't bother me one bit though. It's tough to tell especially when they're younger.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #76
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I came back to see what other people thought

All these pictures are of adorable kids...but I don't understand the appeal of long hair on a little boy, I do think it makes them look more like girls. Is it b/c giving a haircut to a toddler is PURE MISERY? LOL!
My thoughts exactly, to each their own though.

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #77
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I vote mullet. Best of both worlds. Business in front, party jn the back. Boom.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #78
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has curls. Cutting his hair short would get rid of those adorable ringlets. No way!

He's due for a trim, but we sort of do bangs, and (try to) keep the back above his shoulders. I think it depends on what their hair is like and the shape of their face. We don't cut the bangs straight across, they sweep to each side but I like to keep them out of his eyes.

I think he's only been mistaken for a girl once, and it wasn't a big deal to me. Most people seem to know he's a boy. He dresses boyishly. He's 2, he doesn't care.

Part of me does like that it's a bit "babyish." I've seen friends cut their boys' hair and they went from looking like a 1 year old to looking like a 5 year old. Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but I don't think a buzz cut is any "better" for a boy or anything.

I say to each their own. I think some kids look great with longer hair. We keep it for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't be so attached to the long hair if it weren't for his curls; we don't know where he got them from but they're lovely and sweet. He's growing up fast enough... if it's wrong of me to want to keep this one precious part of him, then I don't wanna be right.

Oh, and if he asks to have his hair cut short, I would definitely allow it. But I'll also probably cry when it's gone. I'm very sentimental.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #79
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And really, some girls look boyish, too. Not all girls have long hair and wear dresses, you know? I've seen girls that I thought were boys. Some have short hair and wear their brothers' hand me downs or whatever.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #80
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
When they are ready to take care of their hair regularly etc, they can choose the cut/style. They don't love haircuts, but they also don't love nail trimmings, nose-blowing, teeth-brushing...in general they aren't yet much into grooming.
]
I still do my 16 yr old's hair, so I am glad I didn't wait til he was taking care of it himself. It is all the way down his back and I put it in teeny braids.

Quote:
I came back to see what other people thought

All these pictures are of adorable kids...but I don't understand the appeal of long hair on a little boy, I do think it makes them look more like girls. Is it b/c giving a haircut to a toddler is PURE MISERY? LOL!
that would be a rather lazy reason, yes? I have never even thought of that as a reason. I like long hair on boys and this is the 1st boy of mine who I have had long hair on him before he was old enough to decide (I used to cut my older boys' hair until they asked to grow it).
I don't think it makes them look like girls...when my older boys had super short cuts as toddlers, everyone already called them "she". I don't care.

Why are there never threads about girls with short hair and wear pants being called boys? My mom has a super short hair cut and wears pants, wears blue...and I never call her "dad". Drives me nuts when she used to say something about their long hair.

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 11-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote