Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
kharvey92611
Registered Users
seller

When interviwing for a job...

When interviewing for a job and your are expecting like still in your first trimester do you have to tell your possible employer during the interview ? A friend of mine asked me this as she is 6 weeks and interviewing for a job , I didn't know the answer .

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When interviwing for a job...

No you don't. Some people will tell you its in bad taste not to tell but alot of employers are not going to hire someone that is pregnant.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
kharvey92611
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann
No you don't. Some people will tell you its in bad taste not to tell but alot of employers are not going to hire someone that is pregnant.
Thats what I thought . I told her I didn't think they couldn't not hire bc she was pregnant but could possibly find other reasons not to .
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, she doesn't, but she should also be prepared for some fall out when her pregnancy is discovered. Probably won't be illegal type fallout, but could be unpleasant nonetheless -- general resentment, especially if she is starting a new job, only to take a three month break after working there for only 6 months or so -- she will not qualify for FMLA. Here are the labor laws:

Employee Eligibility

To be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must work for a covered employer and:

have worked for that employer for at least 12 months; and
have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months prior to the start of the FMLA leave; and,
work at a location where at least 50 employees are employed at the location or within 75 miles of the location.

So she could only legally take 6 weeks, and if she wanted longer, and her employer was annoyed that she had not disclosed her pregnancy, her job could be in jeopardy.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She doesn't have to tell them, as other posters said. However, they will be annoyed later, and could find other faults that they might have let slide when they do her job review.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My experience with talking about pregnancy in a job interview is you don't get a callback no matter how qualified you are.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStripe
My experience with talking about pregnancy in a job interview is you don't get a callback no matter how qualified you are.
So true!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #8
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I was 3 months pregnant (not showing) with my 2nd and I told during my interview. I was not offered that position, but I was called back 2 months later and re-interviewed for another similar position and was offered the job. The company is even waiting to hire me until after my maternity leave is over (I get disability with my current employee).

Sometimes it just works out. But I work in the field of counseling and I feel honesty is the best policy!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dept hired two people who ended up being early 1st trimester when they interviewed and the managers didn't know till they were 3mths along either time. There was no bad blood. overall when you hire a young married woman it may be in the cards in the near future. I think most employers get that.
Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We recently hired two women who were visibly pregnant at the time. In fact, one beat me out of the job I originally applied for (I was later offered a different position). So you never know what will happen - employers are not suppose to discriminate based on pregnancy but a lot of them do.

In my first trimester, I didn't tell anyone except for one or two close friends, so I wouldn't tell a stranger including a potential employer at that point.