Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Users
Best AIO for EC?

I'm expecting our first in early March, and The Big Plan is for DH and I to be dual WAHP and do EC. We've read the EC books and plan to do mostly PFs and fitteds, sometimes with covers (when out, especially). But I'm new to CD as well as EC and thought I'd like some flexibility, so I wanted to try a few AIOs too.

I visited a great cloth diaper store in person and the sales associate, hearing I was doing EC, recommended BGEs over any other AIO (after recc'ing PFs and fitted, primarily). As I recall, the rationale was that BGEs (BumGenius Elementals) don't suck away the moisture quite so efficiently as some other options, so baby will stay more aware of his/her wetness than with any other AIO. She also kind of steered me away from pockets in general as kind of "not what I'm looking for" when it comes to EC.

So, no problem (if she's right)! I've purchased a couple of BGEs here and was planning on registering for a couple more. But since I've been checking out consignment sales and FSOT, I have seen some great deals on other brands and varieties of AIO and wondered if they'd be worthwhile?

If you EC (especially full-time), do you use AIOs at all? Pockets? If so, which do you feel are most "compatible" with EC?

Any input appreciated!

buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Best AIO for EC?

We use BGE's and they work great! Other cotton inners to consider are Grovia aios or ai2s, Nana's Bottoms, Osocozy, and Swaddlebees Simplex.

I thought I would never want a pocket, but there are a few times I like the stay dry- at night, and for a outings in which my lo might be wet for a while. So consider that too!

Good luck!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Registered Users

Thanks! I was thinking about at least getting some GroVia shells, since Andrea from ECSimplified recommends them. And I do have some pockets I got super-cheap from a yard sale (new FB!), so I think I'm covered there.

What do you think about the Swaddlebees Simplex? I know CD mamas are crazy about them and that they're cotton, but they almost sounded like they'd be "too" absorbent for EC. No?
buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Registered Users

Don't get too many of any particular brand of diaper until you work out what fits and suits your baby best.

I preferred trim items for my baby and moved to training pants quite early so one-size-snap-down style diapers would not have worked for us at all.

Have fun with your stash building!
Best wishes
Noonee Wilga - custom cloth pads, training pants and patterns, EC gear
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote