Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My c-section story (scary) and hematoma/infection questions

Many of you have responded to my prior posts, and I'm now on the other side of my second scheduled c-section for my second breech baby, if you can believe it.

I underwent an umbilical hernia repair at the same time, as I had strangulated omentum through it. The surgeon said he would try to repair it for me under my belly through my incision site, and if he couldn't he would make a small incision at the belly button.

My surgery, which they said would only be 5 minutes longer than a normal c-section, ended up being over 2 hours. They attempted (for a while from what I recall) to repair it underneath, but ended up doing it from the outside. My doc tried to close my c-section with a double layer closure with staples, but ended up realizing they weren't holding, removing them all and using sutures instead.

The anesthesiologist used a heavy long-lasting spinal which made my legs numb and dead for almost two days. He also used a TAP block, which was supposed to numb the c-section incision for 24 hours, but apparently doesn't work at all on a small number of women, of which I was one. So while my legs were dead and unusable, my incision and umbilical area had full feeling and since they didn't give me a morphine drip (because I opted for the TAP block), it took a couple days to even get the pain under control.

The second day, they attempted to have me SIT at the edge of the bed. I broke out in a cold sweat, felt nauseated and passed out. They brought me to with fans and cold rags. At the end of the second day, I decided to get the cath out, even though I was barely walking. It bugged me constantly when it was in. I had a ton of urine after it came out, and ever since I have only been able to pee standing up. (Still not sure why. Doc did a bladder u/s and urine tests and no bladder infection and seems to empty well)

Since then, I have had ...
-severe chest and shoulder pain resulting in 2 chest CTs for blood clots in lungs and 2 chest x-rays for fluid (I had fluid and huge air pockets, no clots)
-a couple of 100 degree fevers (one resulting in chills and teeth chattering)
-massive swelling in my belly and legs, more the left one, resulting in a leg ultrasound to rule out clots. Also has put tons of pressure on my incision.
-a huge black, purple and blue hematoma across my entire belly that is hard and hot behind my incision.

My doc was on vacation the last two days of my hospital stay and the other doc/nurses said the brusing was "normal". But at my baby's weight check (the first my doctor saw of the hematoma) at 6 days old, he was VERY disturbed. Ran a bunch of blood test and determined that it's a huge hematoma (from what or why he doesn't seem to have a clear answer). He said they could do surgery to remove it but it would open site up to infection (and he knows I went kicking and screaming into a c-section again).

I have been trying to rest and ice the area. My doc increased my pain meds as well and told me to come back two days later, today. The bruising and swelling is dissipating a bit, but it is still as hard and swollen as ever. My incision is buried inside the hot, hard tissue. Also, it has travelled down my left leg and hip, which are now also very painful to use or touch. He also prescribed antibiotics to prevent/treat a possible infection of the hematoma/surgical site.
Also recommended compression socks and wants me back in two days.

My baby girl has been spitting up since my first dose of cephalexin, which he said was better than amoxicillin and would target specific bacteria and not cause thrush. I will take antibiotics after each dose (anyone know how long after?).

I feel like a corpse from the boobs down. I look horrible and weight the same as I did before I had her - 155. I am also on Ibuprofen and Percoset. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it resolve? Did you take antibiotics? How long until it got better?

TIA for listening to me whine, and any help you can offer. ETA: My doc rocks. He is super supportive of my extended nursing, not vaccinating, planning my VBAC, opting not to give my kids antibiotics, etc. He honored my birth plan in every way and made sure the hospital went along. I have just had a really bad go of the c-section and he's very thorough. Hope that puts it into perspective.

Advertisement

Last edited by Riverdavidsmama; 08-01-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Riverdavidsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: My c-section story (scary) and hematoma/infection questions

((big hugs))! I've been worried about you and checking on in this site frequently. So sorry for all the complications! What a rough time.

I've never heard of TAP... I can see how one would opt for it though, but how sucky that it didn't work for you!

With the bladder... is it possible they nicked it? They cut mine when they were trying to remove adhesions and scar tissue from it with my 3rd c/s. I couldn't feel that I had to pee for 1 week, then the sensation finally came back. It really took a concious effort to figure out how to release my pee into the toilet. I do have a friend where that happened to her as well and the sensation did not come back... she goes by the clock and wears pads. Maybe because the surgery was so intense, that it really threw your bladder for a loop and it's going to take a couple weeks to work itself out (this happened to my mother after a gallbladder surgery... she was cathed for 3 weeks because of it and then, magically, she could pee again!).

It sounds like you need the heavy duty antibiotics. I remember some mamas on here saying they got bad infections so maybe they'll be able to offer some words.

Keep us posted on what the doc says. You're in my prayers!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Mistymama
Registered Users
seller

Oh my gosh mama! I haven't experienced any of what you are going through...but couldn't read & not offer my sympathy... That sounds absolutely awful & I will keep you & your sweet baby in my thoughts & prayers for a quick recovery.
~*healing vibes*~
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow. Momma do you have help? I know you have a newborn but you really need to heal.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do have help thanks. My mom is here thru aug 7. My MIL through 25tg and DH taking off 25-30 of Aug. I pushed it yesterday and feel worse today. Really trying to rest today.

Will ask about bladder knick. Thanks mama.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama
I do have help thanks. My mom is here thru aug 7. My MIL through 25tg and DH taking off 25-30 of Aug. I pushed it yesterday and feel worse today. Really trying to rest today.

Will ask about bladder knick. Thanks mama.
Don't push it. You have just had surgery with complications.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry! That sounds really rough. I don't have any experience but I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon and they figure out what's going on!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad you posted an update...I've been checking, as I was wondering how everything went. I am so sorry your c-section experience has been like this! I am praying for quick healing for you, and will pray for the specific problems you've mentioned. Hang in there, Mama!

Last edited by boogamama; 08-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my gosh. It sounds like everything bad that could happen did! I hope you start to get over this soon and feel like a normal person again. Lots of hugs!
Congrats on your little girl!
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote