Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Oct 29 - Nov 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
((HUGS)). It is great that you guys prepare yourself every year. How long do layoffs last?
Well it's either prepare or panic, and believe me I am so done with panicking! He usually, weather permitting, will go back in early March. He may also get hired on by a larger golf course to help them shut down for November - the one he manages is quite small.

We have our FFEF, which is over 10k, and our christmas savings for the rest of our christmas gifts. We also have our grocery points from our mastercard which is over $300, and our grocery club order is coming in early december. It should only be 6 weeks before the employment insurance kicks in, and it'll catch up all but the first two weeks. This part, the waiting for EI is the scary part. after that we have to watch what we spend, but we're ok.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadybugMonkey View Post
Well not a very DR update but my sister and I started planning our trip in the spring! I am sooooo excited! We decided on the end of April and a bit into May. I've been wanting to go visit her since she moved to England.

All my debts are paid off, I will have my full emergency fund (10k+) saved and I will have cash for my trip. I have travel points saved up for the flights so that will help too.
THAT IS A DR UPDATE! The whole point of the plan isn't to live poor forever, the whole point is move through the steps and then enjoy life a little. You've done the work, now enjoy the trip. Then when you get back, get right back at the next part of the plan. Save for retirement, college, ect... no where does it say that you MUST wait until retirement to have some fun. Just that while you are paying off debt you shouldn't Enjoy your trip!
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
hodgenkc
Registered Users
seller

I was thrilled to see there was a dave ramsy posting. I actually went there over fall break with the family...to yell we are debt free & to meet him. It feels nice to share this news, even if it is with a posting, as its something we dont feel comfortable sharing with others. But its amazing how much more you like your stuff when you own it!
hodgenkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgenkc View Post
I was thrilled to see there was a dave ramsy posting. I actually went there over fall break with the family...to yell we are debt free & to meet him. It feels nice to share this news, even if it is with a posting, as its something we dont feel comfortable sharing with others. But its amazing how much more you like your stuff when you own it!
Agreed.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I thought I would share with you all our ever unfolding car buying drama. I'm so ready to just be done with my car and buy a new one. So dh and I had decided that we really had no problem taking out a loan of up to $10K for a new car (I know not DR but as we've discussed before it's our comfort level). Well, we looked and looked, and not much "felt right". We finally found what we think feels right and that's a mazda 5. Dh loves it, I like it, decent gas mileage, decent space for pups and kiddo and a low purchase price. We still haven't decided for sure new or used, will really depend on how much we have to spend to get it. So I think we are going to go look at one tomorrow night. But the thing is to get a pretty low miles used one is only about $1K less than new, that doesn't make sense, what happens to "it depreciates the min. you drive it off the lot?" Anyway, that's where we're at. Payday is Wed. I can hardly wait for a new month, this one hasn't been so great.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I need to get remotivated. Well, idk if that's the right word. I feel like we have so much to do before we move to Italy. We were incredibly poor when we got married (I seriously can't tell you how we paid any bills, DH only made less than $600 the month we got married (rent was $450...) and we had NO income the next month, and we didn't have any CC.) All of our stuff is really old and junky because we haven't been able to replace everything (like the couch has springs poking out the back, the pots and pans are kind of burned all over), so I really don't want to move it. I really just want to buy new stuff. I'm SO tempted to buy it all now, but I know that I need to wait until we get our money from the military for the move. (it doesnt help that i have no clue how much we'll get, when we moved here we got like $5-$6k, but a large part of that was to pay for hotel and food and gas for 9 days of travel-GA to WA, plus 10 days in military temp lodging) but i dont think we'll get that much since we won't be driving anywhere). And I know that the housing will be different there, so I *should* wait to buy it all there so I know how much space we have and what not. But I am such a planner that I just want all my ducks in a row NOW. Lol. It's driving me batty, and it's so hard to not bleed all our money.

Unrelated to the move, we had a bday party and a baby shower that were unplanned. Thank goodness for envelopes! They've been kind of drained because of said money bleeding problem, but at least we could cover that.

I accidentally paid off the credit card twice, so there was some excess credit... We decided to schedule our first of three visits before we leave to Italy. We made the decision to lower/delete snowball payments to be able to visit, so our snowball this month will go to paying that flight off. The other two visits will get paid off with December and January snowball payments (we won't be scheduling those flights for a few more weeks).

Want to know something crazy? (well, crazy in mainstream society's eyes.) I'm SO EXCITED to cancel all of our luxuries in December/January. Cable, Internet, cell phones, Netflix. We currently pay ~$320 for those, so that's a little more money we'll have. We'll have Internet and basic cell phones again in Italy after we get a house, but we will be making a conscious effort to keep them minimal. We'll also go down to one car again, although not sure how much insurance will go down... No clue how that works in other countries lol.

This was a pretty good month for Scentsy, I think. I had 3 parties, which I'm excited about. I know other consultants have way more, but i don't have a huge client base yet. So that will be a little cash in my pocket (sort of, that money will just go towards travel). I also decided to start selling Velata as well. So go ahead and hit me up to make your house smell good and your taste buds happy

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
Paid off a credit card last week. I also became a 31 bags consultant since it goes well with my organizing business (that I started earlier this year and haven't been able to do much with).

I either get paid next Friday, or the Monday after. Since the 10th falls on a Saturday, I don't know if we get paid the day before or the day after. Looking forward to getting that check so that I can pay off CC3 and throw a chunk at CC1.

STBXH and I are splitting the cost of a gift for FIL. It's pretty pricey, but I have Amazon gifts cards and credit card rewards saved up, and since we are buying it from Amazon, my half of the gift will be cut in half I normally don't spend so much on one person for any holiday, but FIL has been wanting one of these things for years, and I really wanted to get him something nice in appreciation for everything that he does for me and DS.
Im a Thirty One Consultant too!!! I love it, i hope you do too
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
I decided to get my MBA. I am so clueless with everything, and I'm a little scared, but I'm starting the research for it today.
Best of luck, it can be scary to go back to school, but it will pay off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgenkc View Post
Awesome!!!!!!

AFM: Lights have been going on and off all day, the wind is insane but we are all safe. hoping to say hi tomorrow, but i am pretty sure we won't have power
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Worked a bunch this weekend, here's to hoping that all the stock goes so I can have a record sales week.

Have lots of customs to finish up this week.

I don't think that I will make my goal on the BEF thou . But the week is still young.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Ladies!
It's been a long time since I've been here but I need to be.
Last time I was here we had paid of our only CC and were starting to snowball my car (DH's car is paid off). We had an EF (only $1000 but we were getting somewhere).
And then we decided to get pregnant and I had DD in Feb of this year. I took 12 weeks maternity leave (only had about 5 days paid) which I DO NOT regret but it is one of the factors that put us in the current situation.
CC is almost maxed out ($7000 max). EF is down to about $400. We're seriously living paycheck to paycheck. I'm trying hard to get us back on track.
We have started using the envelope system again. This is week three of that and we're still spending more than I withdraw. I need to freeze the CC again (as in seriously freeze it in a plastic cup of water, in the freezer) and try to keep my debit card at home. We are paying more in DC for both kids ($275 for full-time care).
My guilty habit is that I am slightly obsessed w/ sbish wool and flats!!! It's a terribly expensive thing to LOVE. So I'm selling a few pieces but keeping enough for DD to be in at home. We have pockets for DC. DH is still building his photography business. He was super busy all summer and fall but now I think his next wedding isn't until Feb. Finally I've started a master's program! It's a 2 year accelerated online program and I took out a student LOAN.
I'm STILL paying for my undergrad years!!! BUT once I get this degree and make all my lane changes (I teach and I can make a lane change once a year) I will be making almost $10,000 MORE than I do right now!!!
So I'm here for the encouragement and the support.

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Beccadssmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, one good thing is that tomorrow I'll make our FINAL hospital payment for the amount we still owed for the birth after insurance.

Beccadssmomma is offline   Reply With Quote