Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

October has not gone what I would call to plan. I blew our budget again. However, our BEF is still untouched, so we aren't doing too bad.

I made just shy of $1k at consignment sales in the last month, but between the things I bought at the sales and a coat locker (expensive, but it will be a sanity saver and was 40% off), only had enough to pay for six months of flea meds for our dog and three months for the cats (two of them, so a six month box lasts three), and then about $100 on the CC. Most of the stuff I bought was needed, though, so I don't really regret it. Kind of regret the toys the kids didn't need, but that enabled me to shop in peace, so...

Preparing to do something crazy, we are going to do all of Nov and Dec shopping Nov 10th, then I will be assembling 50 crock pot meals to put in the freezer along with six dozen cooked eggs for egg muffins (they will have various things in them), 120 small waffles (our iron makes three small animal ones at a time), some mini pizzas, muffin tin meat loaf, and some various muffins/breads. My goal is to have to prepare very little for the last couple weeks of pregnancy/first couple weeks after the baby comes. I'll also be picking up enough pet food and litter to last us until we shop Jan 10th. The crazy part? I have to pull this off with only spending $700. The awesome part? If I do pull it off, our entire food budget for Dec (minus $50 or so I'll keep for the couple perishables I know we will need) can go to our sb. After the $50, that is $550, so that would be awesome!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We overspent in groceries for the month for sure, I intend to sit down tomorrow and figure out the amount exactly. Bad news is my one son got better and now my other two kids are sick so no sewing for me right now, I intended on getting a few diapers and slings made for my etsy shop( and actually listing them lol. )
I was reviewing the baby steps and we are at the save for college step, (although I need to increase my retirement contributions). We need to do the will, the replacing car and non essentials envelopes. I am looking forward to working on these things and figuring out a realistic groceries/household budget. I am also trying to slowly get Xmas stuff on sale. Prayers to son the families affected by this storm! I'm hoping we don't lose power so we don't lose all the meat we just got (generators are all sold out here) but I know many are risking a lot more right now
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Ive spent 220$ in the last week on dr visits. At least now her deductable is met. but I had to tap into my bef. Sadness!!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Oct 29 - Nov 4

Soooo it hasn't been a very big DR weekend... or month. Minus the car payments. But we've just been bleeding money. I was determined to do better but didn't.

Yesterday we bought DD her costume, Cinderella. We spent $53.xx at the Disney store for the dress, crown, and shoes. I'm calling it thrifty, since it was all 25% off, but i know thats not true. LOL But prices for shoddy work costumes are insane, and i think we did pretty ok. then we spent $7x.xx in Target getting DS a remote control car, some sheets, and a laundry room garbage can.

Then today (supposed to be my 0 spend day) we went out for lunch. We literally have NO food in the house for quick lunches. No bread, maybe 5 eggs. So instead of running out to buy bread for $4/loaf, I spent $25 on subway.

*sigh*

I need to seriously stop spending everything. This week is the USMC ball and I need to get my hair/make-up/nails done plus we have to pay for a babysitter.

And December we're taking the baby to San Fran for her birthday, since my mom will be flying in there for work.

And i haven't bought any birthday/christmas gifts. Luckily I should have enough to do that, especially since we cancelled cable/phone. Kept the internet, for like $54/month, but its still less than $115.

I just really need to get on board here. Especially if I ever wanna go home lol. Plus DH is talking about getting out of the Corps in 2015, so we will need build our savings back up jic.
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #25
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just made our November budget. I *WILL* stick to it! I think part of why I didn't stick to Octobers budget is that I tried a different format and it just confused me and I gave up on keeping it updated because I got really lost. So I went back to the old one, and I'm taking the debit card out of the mix again (I did really good with it in September, so I thought I could control myself in October... I couldn't). Although, I forgot to budget groceries at first, so I was all giddy when I saw how much SB money we had.... Oops. At least I remembered now, although that SB isn't quite as nice. Lol. I've also decided I think we're going to temporarily stop envelope contributions until we're set up in Italy. I'll probably continue with some (kids birthday, anniversary, christmas), but not others (like garden, gifts, car maintenance [we're not sure if we'll take the car or not and we're going to sell the van]).
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988
I need to get remotivated. Well, idk if that's the right word. I feel like we have so much to do before we move to Italy. We were incredibly poor when we got married (I seriously can't tell you how we paid any bills, DH only made less than $600 the month we got married (rent was $450...) and we had NO income the next month, and we didn't have any CC.) All of our stuff is really old and junky because we haven't been able to replace everything (like the couch has springs poking out the back, the pots and pans are kind of burned all over), so I really don't want to move it. I really just want to buy new stuff. I'm SO tempted to buy it all now, but I know that I need to wait until we get our money from the military for the move. (it doesnt help that i have no clue how much we'll get, when we moved here we got like $5-$6k, but a large part of that was to pay for hotel and food and gas for 9 days of travel-GA to WA, plus 10 days in military temp lodging) but i dont think we'll get that much since we won't be driving anywhere). And I know that the housing will be different there, so I *should* wait to buy it all there so I know how much space we have and what not. But I am such a planner that I just want all my ducks in a row NOW. Lol. It's driving me batty, and it's so hard to not bleed all our money.

Unrelated to the move, we had a bday party and a baby shower that were unplanned. Thank goodness for envelopes! They've been kind of drained because of said money bleeding problem, but at least we could cover that.

I accidentally paid off the credit card twice, so there was some excess credit... We decided to schedule our first of three visits before we leave to Italy. We made the decision to lower/delete snowball payments to be able to visit, so our snowball this month will go to paying that flight off. The other two visits will get paid off with December and January snowball payments (we won't be scheduling those flights for a few more weeks).

Want to know something crazy? (well, crazy in mainstream society's eyes.) I'm SO EXCITED to cancel all of our luxuries in December/January. Cable, Internet, cell phones, Netflix. We currently pay ~$320 for those, so that's a little more money we'll have. We'll have Internet and basic cell phones again in Italy after we get a house, but we will be making a conscious effort to keep them minimal. We'll also go down to one car again, although not sure how much insurance will go down... No clue how that works in other countries lol.

This was a pretty good month for Scentsy, I think. I had 3 parties, which I'm excited about. I know other consultants have way more, but i don't have a huge client base yet. So that will be a little cash in my pocket (sort of, that money will just go towards travel). I also decided to start selling Velata as well. So go ahead and hit me up to make your house smell good and your taste buds happy

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I was super excited to cancel all of my stuff too! Just wait on the stuff, just think once you get to Italy you will be ale to buy it as soon as you want. Otherwise you will have to wait for it to cross the seas and clear customs, could be 2 months
Our insurance went from 102 per month in the states for 3 cars, down to 182 a YEAR here in Thailand, per year!

SO in October I threw away the budget, I literally threw it in the trash and didn't go back. Idk what happened and in the end I don't think we were off by much but I just became so frustrated. I had to take dd to the er, had to buy some new furniture and appliances, then my food budget was a mess I just had to walk away and say forget it. I was shocked to see that it didn't ruin everything. Somehow we still had enough to cover paying off another student loan when that shouldn't have happened until next month. Now the new budget is ready to go, super bonus this month dh gets paid 3x but for some reason I am having budget anxiety again. I just want everything to match the budget that I think I am starting to really let it overwhelm me. We are kicking the you know what out of our debt and I don't want to mess that up.

Which brings me to my latest struggle. Dh and I are going away and renewing our vows in February (10 years married) we never took a honeymoon and I am thinking of stopping our snowball and saving the snowball for our trip, then whatever we do not use dumping back into debt. Or would saving a set dollar amount be more realistic so we don't go over board? Our original plan was to just go for the weekend, but now I think we should go all in on this. Is it me or the snowball talking?

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
I forgot to get coffee at this week's grocery trip, and went over budget by 25$ anyhow. Need to find a way around spending money before payday......so........I have espresso and decaf. If I mix them together, will it be similar to regular coffee???
Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
I was super excited to cancel all of my stuff too! Just wait on the stuff, just think once you get to Italy you will be ale to buy it as soon as you want. Otherwise you will have to wait for it to cross the seas and clear customs, could be 2 months
Our insurance went from 102 per month in the states for 3 cars, down to 182 a YEAR here in Thailand, per year!

SO in October I threw away the budget, I literally threw it in the trash and didn't go back. Idk what happened and in the end I don't think we were off by much but I just became so frustrated. I had to take dd to the er, had to buy some new furniture and appliances, then my food budget was a mess I just had to walk away and say forget it. I was shocked to see that it didn't ruin everything. Somehow we still had enough to cover paying off another student loan when that shouldn't have happened until next month. Now the new budget is ready to go, super bonus this month dh gets paid 3x but for some reason I am having budget anxiety again. I just want everything to match the budget that I think I am starting to really let it overwhelm me. We are kicking the you know what out of our debt and I don't want to mess that up.

Which brings me to my latest struggle. Dh and I are going away and renewing our vows in February (10 years married) we never took a honeymoon and I am thinking of stopping our snowball and saving the snowball for our trip, then whatever we do not use dumping back into debt. Or would saving a set dollar amount be more realistic so we don't go over board? Our original plan was to just go for the weekend, but now I think we should go all in on this. Is it me or the snowball talking?
It's not very DR, but I would take a honeymoon in a heartbeat if I could (We've been married almost 13 years and still haven't had one ). Sometimes it's okay to take a break (just don't add to your debt while doing it) to give you some time to recharge your energy for this.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
drabekgirl
Registered Users

So in Oct we spent $325 on groceries, which is down $75, we are down $20 on electricity (I think it had something to do with no one being home all day), and we didn't buy any clothing so $50, but all that was used on medical bills and gasoline.

My boys thought it was great that we saved so much until they realized it went into gas and towards medical bills or co-pays. Life rolls on and we are doing OK, nothing is going toward savings but we haven't gone deeper into debt either yet. The yet part is we know of about 20 cord of wood for sale but we don't know how much they want for it, as we think they are waiting for us to offer something for it first. The wood would is cut into 8ft sections but not delivered. We want to contact FIL and BIL as they used to be lumberjacks (cutters only) so they might know how much its worth. That would get us 2 years worth of wood for under 1k and we are all set for this year already and we can get more free this year as well. If all falls into place 1k for 2 years of heat is AMAZING we figure 1k a year for heating (supplement with LP) and last year we ended up paying 1k for wood and we will be finishing up that wood this year along with the free wood we keep gathering.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last night I was talking to my FIL. He wants to do a gift exchange within the family for Christmas and everything has to be homemade! I him. It take so much pressure off to spend a bunch of money. Now I just need the perfect project that will be wanted.