Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

GD Advice Please?

So, I cannot keep by blood sugars under control. I got diagnosed with GD last week and met with the diabetes educators on Wednesday. They gave me a meal plan, which I have been following to a tee. I always eat towards the minimum amount of carbs allotted for a meal (I get 30-40g for breakfast and I always eat about 30.) I have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I vary my carb sources and I always pair carbs with lots of protein.

My fasting numbers have been between 100-109 and my post meal numbers are almost always over when I check at one hour. The only time my numbers have been in range is when I didn't have enough carbs at lunch on accident (I realized after I ate the meal that I had counted wrong and only ate 28g instead of my target of 40-50g for lunch.)

I was hoping to narrow down what was making me spike, but everything is. Bread, pitas, fruit, starchy veggies. No matter what I try, my sugars spike.

I have another appointment with the diabetes educator on Thursday. Do I wait until then or do I call them now?

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Make proteins your best friend! I can eat no where near the carb amounts you listed. Maybe 30 at most. I try to eat mostly proteins. I love milk and can only have one kids size cup a day and never in the morning, usually for lunch.

I try to eat nuts, meats, cheeses, no starchy veggies, eggs, peanut butter. Also steer clear of fat free versions of stuff, it tends to have more sugars in place of no fat. For my sweet tooth I drink sweet tea Mio or the crystal light lemon tea.

I have to take 2.5 mg of Glyburide at night to keep my fasting numbers in check.

If the suggested carb load doesn't work for you, play with it and decrease it and see what you can tolerate. I do better with more carbs later in the day but still no more than 30 grams.

Also, I have been GD two times and each educator had me check my sugars 2 hours after each meal, not one hour. I need to be below 120 two hours after each meal. Were you told I check after one hour? What number did they give you for one hour?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: GD Advice Please?

I'm supposed to be at or under 130 at 1 hour. If I forget/miss my 1 hour check, I can check at 2 hours and need to be at or under 120.

I'm really trying to minimize the carbs, but my dietary log has giant printed reminders on it that I must eat at least 30g of carbs per meal and 15g per snack.

This is majorly frustrating.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Usually the logs are a guide, a starting point. If your body can't handle that amount then decrease it to find what you can handle. Also make sure to eat protein WITH your carbs. I make it a rule to have absolutely NO liquid carbs. I eat my carbs not drink them! Lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It takes a bit if trial and error to find things that don't cause your sugars to rise. I'd call and double check that you "must" eat that many carbs. I don't see any reason why you couldn't shoot for less carbs if it keeps your numbers in range.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Have you looked into the Brewer Pregnancy Diet? That may help you.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Can you exercise safely? I have GD and I'm on bed rest now (at 36 weeks) but earlier this pregnancy and last pregnancy I would get up and take a walk. Even a brisk 20 minute walk after a meal really really helped control my blood sugars.

I can't drink juice or eat fruit at all. But I can drink milk and if I have carbs, I eat twice as much protein. Everyone is different, and I hope you find something that works for you!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
romansmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have GD this time around too so I can sympathize. It's hard figuring it out. Definitely trial & error. I always make sure I log the foods I ate when I get a high reading and steer clear of them altogether or try again in a smaller portion. My Dr is only having me test 2 hrs after a meal. I've been surprised at the foods that trigger a high # and the ones that don't when I think for sure they would. I'm on week 3 I think and my #s are coming down. I would give it some more time if I were you.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure that you're getting healthy fat. Avocado, whole milk cheese, yogurt, milk, etc, butter, coconut oil, olive oil...those are all good choices. Make sure that you have carbs + fat and protein. Fat helps to slow down the absorption of carbs and is necessary for the proper development of the baby. (yes, saturated fat even. Did you know that breastmilk is one of the foods that is highest in cholesterol? Baby needs it!!)
I've read that rice actually does not spike blood sugar as much as wheat products or potatoes. Coconut rice is one of my favorite treats