Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Aside from MASSIVE tearing, or horrendous bleeding, why get stitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
I think a lot of times if you don't get stitches for deep cuts elsewhere the scarring is more extensive...? I could be wrong. I always thought that was the benefit. Maybe it's the same after giving birth - to reduce scar tissue?
This is true. I think having scar tissue for a vaginal tear is a good thing in many instances, though, as it will make tearing in that same spot for subsequent births less likely b.c the skin is tougher there.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
I have a history of healing with keloids which is unusual since I am caucasian. I would think my chances of not getting a keloid may be better with stitches but I don't really know.

Eta: I was cross posting when the above was posted. I've gotten 3 keloids from cuts and scrapes, none of them had stitches. I don't know if stitches would help me not develop a keloid but I know I get them when I let my body heal on its own.
I was thinking the same thing -- apparently at the same time!!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

i didnt know it was an option. i dont even think my dr told me he was giving me stitches but i only got like 2 or 3
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had tearing with my vbac. The one spot that he didn't stitch wound up ulcerated. It was really painful while it healed.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an unnecessary episiotomy with my first:/ Got stitches and healed fine. Minimal tear with my second and got stitches, healed fine. I tore about a 2nd degree with #3, a homebirth, and my MW left it up to me. I chose against stitches. She told me to keep my thighs together when sitting or getting in and out of bed. I healed fine, after 3 days I was checked and the tear was pretty much closed.
My MW did tell me of a lady who had worse tearing then me and did not heal right. The tear didn't heal together correctly, it was like half slide forward, then healed. So extra skin hanging. My mw believes she didn't take it easy or ignored the need to heal, I dunno!
If I tear again this time I'll refuse stitches, as long as it isnt horrible tearing.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 10-29-2012 at 06:25 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Purplerain
Registered Users

I also tore very badly with all three of my children. I knew I had an option to not have stitches afterwards but the midwife kind of made it sound like i would be all "gappy and flappy" so I chose to be stitched every time.

The first time it was terrible. The stitches didnt line up properly and healed wrong. Very painful until my next child was born 17 months later when the stitching that time was done right.

Its really the last thing you feel like having done after just having had a baby! Im not sure what the best option is really. I guess like you say, a major tear definitely needs some attention and no doubt stitching. At the time I just went with what my midwife suggested
Purplerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

This is true. I think having scar tissue for a vaginal tear is a good thing in many instances, though, as it will make tearing in that same spot for subsequent births less likely b.c the skin is tougher there.
I was of the understanding that scar tissue doesn't stretch, and so you're more likely to tear with subsequent births?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't even think about it and just got the stitches. It was a must with my first, I had fourth degree tearing, it was awful, took forever to heal and hurt like you would not believe. The girls, I had between 2 -7 stitches and minor tears.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #30
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf88 View Post
I was of the understanding that scar tissue doesn't stretch, and so you're more likely to tear with subsequent births?
This is what I thought too, that while the scar itself is tougher, it is less stretchy and you are more likely to tear along your scar line. I have had stitches with all 3 births and didn't even consider not having them. I mean, if I got a deep cut or tear on any other skin, I would get stitches so why wouldn't I after birth. The reasons I would think getting stiches is better is that the dr can make sure your skin is lined up appropriatly making for quicker healing with less scaring, also, wouldn't you be less likely to get an infection with stitches than without them since you wouldn't have an open wound? I'd be all for holding the area together with glue or steri strips, but with the location that is not an option. Honestly, this is the first time I've ever heard of refusing stitches, but I still think I'd get them if my midwife suggested it.