Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need ideas to keep a 2 year old busy

I'm doing an official curriculum for the first time with my 10 year old and 7 year old. It's going great, EXCEPT that my 2 year old has been getting into lots if trouble during school time. My older kids won't work unless I'm sitting right there urging them on. But while I'm helping them, my 2 year old has been finding all kinds of trouble to get into. He's been drawing on walls, eating non-food items (apparently he loves chapstick and sticks of gum from my purse!), ripping apart toys, anything he knows he's not supposed to do.

So, what are some non-messy activities he can do by himself with minimal supervision while I'm working with my older kids? I'm assume eventually my big kids will need less supervision once they get used to the new routine, so hopefully this is only temporary.

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need ideas to keep a 2 year old busy

Does he still nap? If so, I would just do schoolwork while he's napping. At least, the stuff that they need you for.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
erlyjo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Does he still nap? If so, I would just do schoolwork while he's napping. At least, the stuff that they need you for.
Unfortunately, he doesn't nap.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 2 YO decided not to nap this year as well and has made it hard to get work done. I have found if I let her sit at the table while they are working she is much better. I usually give her color crayons and paper and she can draw or I make large shapes and she can cut it out with her scissors (or at least try..it is one that only cuts paper). She also loves playdough so she will play with playdough at the table as well. The other thing I have found is if the kids are doing math with manipulatives if I give her legos she will use those as her "math"..always seems to help if I have her count a few. If all else fails I find a leapfrog video for her to watch. She seems to love them.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
erlyjo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingk
My 2 YO decided not to nap this year as well and has made it hard to get work done. I have found if I let her sit at the table while they are working she is much better. I usually give her color crayons and paper and she can draw or I make large shapes and she can cut it out with her scissors (or at least try..it is one that only cuts paper). She also loves playdough so she will play with playdough at the table as well. The other thing I have found is if the kids are doing math with manipulatives if I give her legos she will use those as her "math"..always seems to help if I have her count a few. If all else fails I find a leapfrog video for her to watch. She seems to love them.
Thanks! Those are some great ideas!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also- forgot to mention sometimes I put the little tykes picnic table in the kitchen if the other kids need the area to work then she can play at it and still be really close. I have also find she loves to draw with chalk on a little chalkboard (kind of like older sisters handwriting one). With my second DD we had lots of magentic books to keep her busy but my 2YO is completely not interested in the magnetic books or felt books or the dress the dolly stuff..guess it is just not enough action.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
erlyjo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingk View Post
Also- forgot to mention sometimes I put the little tykes picnic table in the kitchen if the other kids need the area to work then she can play at it and still be really close. I have also find she loves to draw with chalk on a little chalkboard (kind of like older sisters handwriting one). With my second DD we had lots of magentic books to keep her busy but my 2YO is completely not interested in the magnetic books or felt books or the dress the dolly stuff..guess it is just not enough action.
I tried setting up a chalkboard. He ate the chalk! He is seriously the weirdest kid when it comes to eating things he shouldn't. And he's a super picky eater!

Those felt and magnetic books he would like though. I hadn't thought of that either!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Purplerain
Registered Users

Hi there,

Its so hard trying to keep the smaller ones busy when you are trying to do something with the big kids! I used to keep my No. 3 busy with things like beading - I got some larger beads (that wont fit in the mouth) and some shoelaces and let her thread the beads on the lace. That used to keep for busy for ages. The magnadoodle was also a hit and also a packet of raisins with some small tupperware containers with lids - she would put a couple in the containers, shake them around and them eat them eventually but the whole game went on for ages! Playdough was also good
Purplerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

thank yo so much for this thread. I am having a hard time right now keeping my 4 y/0 and 18 m/o busy.

I know I need to find something more "hands-on" for my 4 y/o, he can't do K stuff yet, and he has a super short attention span, so I am really losing it trying to keep him out of DD's hair while she works, and yet busy with something so he doesn't feel left out.... ugh. It's really difficult.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another thing that has worked are puzzles. Melissa and Doug make 4 twelve piece wooden puzzles in a box that my 2YO will do over and over. I found that if I left one puzzle on the desk in the corner (which is her sisters) she will wander over and start putting it together. After she finishes she will ask for the next one. It all works well unless Mom forgets and leaves the box on the table then all the pieces are together (I am so glad they mark the backs to make it easier to sort). She now does some 30 piece puzzles as well.
If all else fails I read her a book, give her a snack and then she has "sticker" time. For some reason she loves to put stickers on paper..I just hate the waste.