Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need ideas to keep a 2 year old busy

Quiet things that work for DD:
Cooking with "Slime" and various cookie cutters, rollers, etc. (http://pinterest.com/pin/62487513549835892/)
Building with duplo/legos or wooden blocks
Matching colored pom poms or pipe cleaners on a tray
Beading/Lacing cards
Musical Instruments (we have a whole bin)

And, in desperate times, videos of herself on the iPhone or computer are super-entertaining.

One thing to think about: what is he *trying* to do? If he wants to draw on things, art activities would be a good diversion. If he likes to hit things, playing with a drum set of spoons and old pots would work better. If he's eating things he isn't supposed to, you could try having him pretend to cook for you and the older kids (so at least he brings you his "food" ideas), or you could let him prepare a real snack like breaking up celery stalks or plucking grapes into a bowl.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Something I do with my 2 year old is have the older ones take turns reading to her or playing something with her. That also helps me have one-on-one time with the child I'm doing school with. We try to stick to about 15-20 minutes per subject/lesson so it fits with young attention spans.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Big thanks for this thread!

Stickers have been a big hit here for the little guy (also 2), crafting at my feet, sensory box, drawing with dry erase crayons, cups of beans, beads, rice, noodles.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My daughter loves to button and unbutton toggle buttons, do zippers, unvelcro pockets and put stuff in them. You could find jackets with these features and give him a pile of things to do... I sewed a busy blanket with that stuff on it.

Also, a treasure hunt is fun with treats like pretzels, crackers, cheddar bunnies, etc...

Fridge magnets

I have a low cupboard with all the kids plastic stuff and tupperware, sometimes I'll open it and tell her to play with the stuff and she'll empty it all out and put it back....(just make sure you sweep and mop first)

Those shopping carts for kids are fun if you place the pretend (or real) groceries around the house.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Very helpful thread! I have had the same question for my 2yr old, and soon my newest bambino will be in the playful boat during learning time.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote