Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

Should I stop working?

I can stop working pretty much anytime I want at this point (my employer is family & is VERY flexible/accommodating) but I feel guilty for taking leave from work before the baby comes because I feel like I "should be" fully capable of continuing to work (it's not physically demanding at all, and only moderately demanding mentally).

We have plenty in savings, especially with our tax refund, to cover me not working for awhile AND I have tons of paid vacation time saved up so we can easily make it financially without me working.

I only have limited energy and motivation & my "nesting instinct" is totally failing me. Lol. I really want to have energy to fill the freezer, clean the house, car, etc. but I feel so drained thinking about work & trying to make myself work from home (I set my own hours). I feel like I'm just being lazy for wanting to completely stop working a whole 2.5 weeks before my due date.

I'm just so tired most of the time & I need to focus on getting ready for this baby with what little energy I have left, kwim?

Anyone else feel this way, or am I the only "wimp" who isn't working until her due date?

Advertisement

junvwekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I stop working?

Totally DDC here, but I have always stopped working a few weeks before my due date, this time I plan to go about 3 weeks before. With DD1 it ended up being about 6 weeks because she was late arriving, but it was nice because it was summer and we had a small holiday and some weddings to attend. My job isn't physically demanding, but somewhat mentally demanding, which is almost harder when I am pregnant, my mind is all over the place.

(oh, and I suppose as a disclaimer...I'm from Canada and we can start our mat leave up to 8 weeks before the due date and get a full year off, so taking from the end of my mat leave and adding it on before the baby comes works for me)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I WISH I could stop working. I say if you can leave then do it. I am struggling to make it and have to work pretty much until I deliver I say put the energy into more important things like freezer meals and getting ready!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd like to stop working, but can't. I've always worked up to delivery. If it's an option, I would definitely consider it. Would they let you work part-time for a bit, as a compromise?

I only work 2 days a week (12 hour shifts), but I work them in a row, on the weekends, at night, in the ER. So it's physically demanding on top of being rather stressful. The standing is starting to get to me, and my feet end up watermelon-sized by the end of the weekend. It takes a few days to feel back to "normal", and by then, it's time to go back to work. Unfortunately, I do not get a paid maternity leave (because of my job status) and don't want to waste my 12 weeks of FMLA and my maternity savings before the baby comes. Fortunately, however, my co-workers are very protective of expectant mothers and they do cut me a lot of slack.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Totally ddc. I am all for taking leave when you can. My first I only had a week and a half off before she was born and it was filled with family vacation (she was early). It was not enough time to rest and get everything in order. My second, I took two weeks vacation plus my full four weeks of disability (then he ended up being overdue). It was the best decision. I was able to spend quality time with my dd and get myself ready for baby.

Foggy Knits WAHM Page Foggy Knits Facebook
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

I quit working as of the Thanksgiving Holidays and DS2 was born 12/12/12. Like you my job wasn't physically demanding but I got to a point where I was only sleeping ~ 4 hours per night, and it was killing me not being able to take a nap at work. I have no regrets going out a few weeks early. It gave me time to stock the freezer with fully cooked meals, clean the house, etc. If you are planning on BFing... I highly recommend stocking your freezer with cooked meals and getting your nursing station set up. This is where you'll "live" for the first 6 weeks or so, and trust me, you won't have time to cook.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
stephbrown13
Registered Users

DDCC

Oh man, if you can start your leave now... DO IT

I planned on working up until I went into labor with my first, but my blood pressure started rising a little and my midwife suggested that I go on leave at 37.5 weeks. It was AMAZING! I hadn't realized how mentally checked out of working I was. I had time to relax, get things done, take a nap if I wanted, really get the house clean, and just focus on my last few weeks of being child-free.

With my second I had again planned on working till the end (I have an easy job and wanted to save my vacation time to use after the baby arrived), but towards the end I was too uncomfortable so I decided to go at 38.5 weeks. I worked my normal week (4 ten hour shifts mon-thurs), then he was born early and arrived the next Monday. So I didnt' really get any time before the baby came.

This time I am definitely planning on stopping at 38 weeks. And hoping the baby is a little late so I have even MORE time off before it gets here. Even though my job is easy, by the end I'm just over working and want to focus on my family/self/upcoming delivery.
ESPECIALLY if this is your first I recommend leaving, because this is the last time you'll truly be able to spend your time however you see fit. With the 2nd/3rd etc you have other kids who wake up early, and need and want things. Take advantage of having an understanding boss!
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not a wimp! Take the time for yourself and ur family!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone

I have been feeling so drained from work (or feeling like I should be working when I'm not) & I'm ready for a break. I want to enjoy these last few weeks of peace & quiet & be able to accomplish the things I want to accomplish.

The stress, lack of energy, and not being prepared enough isn't worth a few extra hundred in the savings account.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

Woohoo!!! I'm officially on maternity leave now!

Now, I'm actually getting really excited about all the things I need to do to prepare for the baby, instead of just feeling overwhelmed.

It helps that some of the March mamas are already posting adorable baby pictures & a couple of my facebook friends are filling my newsfeed w/ baby pictures.

It's gonna be a fun month! My MIL/doula gets into town in a week & a half, too.

Ok. Just had to share my excitement. Now I need to go catch up on dishes & laundry. Lol....