Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

medela freestyle or pump in Style? Guess not medela swing?

Okay I thought I would get the swing as I am ebf, and just want to collect when she misses a feeding when napping or first thing in morning, or maybe maybe in car when she nurses and I have let down. So thought I would stock up for when she does wean. Sometimes is earlier as pregnant again type thing. And right now would be nice to pump lots as I get lots of let downs. So time to stock up before that supply dwindles. But in reading reviews, it seems the tubing does not stay on, milk backs up and such and with a very busy household of many children that will drive me nuts, especially since it is still the decent amount of money even 2nd hand. Still hundred dollars. And I do not want only 2 ozs in 40 mins. No time for that.

So what would you choose pump in style or freestyle. What can get the most out shortly? Can you just pump one side while baby nursing on other side? Easiest to clean, use, and last? What are pros or cons to each one. Oh and I can get the pump in style used for the same hundred dollars as the swing.

Thanks Shannon mama to 11.

Advertisement

Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: medela freestyle or pump in Style? Guess not medela swing?

If you won'tbe pumping all that much the swing is just fine IMO. I have one and it works just fine when I need to pump out of the house. The only downside is it eats batteries. If you'll be pumping 1-2 times a day at least I'd go for the freestyle if you want portability while pumping, but if you can sit (but still pump hands free) while pumping the PISA is a great option too. I've heard more bad things about the freestyle than the PISA to be honest, but I'ddef. prefer a new freestyle over a used PISA.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have both the PISA and the Swing. The Swing is handy for on the go or around the house while doing things but it does go thru batteries quickly. I also don't think it pumps as effectively as the PISA. Both pumps are equal in cleaning and I have nursed and pumped at the same time w both.

Last edited by hohaas; 10-31-2012 at 07:48 AM.
hohaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Mommamojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can save lots by using rechargeable batteries!!
Mommamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
eflannery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you aren't going to be pumping much, then a swing will work great. When you get it, if you have issues with it call Medela right away and they will replace. they have good customer service. Hang on to your receipt when you guy it too.

Mama to Regan Louise Born July 5, 2007
and Quinn Annmarie : Born March 30th, 2013
Baby #3 expected to arrive June 14th, 2015!
eflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had a swing and pisa. Both worked fine for me. I did notice the pisa was faster at collecting my milk than the swing. The swing was def more portable.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
jill-of-all-trades
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check with your insurance company about paying for a pump for you. Many insurances cover the cost of one new breast pump. In our hospital (I'm a nurse), we can order a medela pump for patients as a supply for part of their stay that can go home with them and is covered in their hospital bill. You should be able choose from whichever ones your insurance will provide and not worry about the cost.
jill-of-all-trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
MaRoul
Registered Users

Freestyle has been great for me. I was given a hospital grade one at the hospital that I use in the mornings but I use the freestyle when driving, working, sitting in the back seat on road trips. I got a car charger for it and it is great. I also will nurse one side and pump the other sometimes.
MaRoul is offline   Reply With Quote