Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:
Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not I apologize. It's been a while since I have actively participated on the forum, life has been more busy as a family of 6 than it used to be.

Anywho usually we are not a traditional vaccinating family, meaning we usually delay a long time and the vaccinate on our own schedule and terms, weighing the risks and risk of exposure ect....

Well, that being said my 2y old and 4 yr old both got vaccines 12 days ago. Since I have been returning to school, we have a new baby, and my oldest is in big kid school, and the others in preschool, adding to that the risk of pertussis is pretty high in our area right now, I figured it wouldn't hurt to begin to catch the kids up a little on their shots.

So I consented to the MMR (I know it has nothing to do with pertussis or my concerns of exposure, but I went ahead with it anyway, despite my reserves) for my 2y old. (really regretting that now)..

9 days later, she presents with respiratory symptoms, nothing too bad. Now 11-12 days after the vaccine and a few days after initial symptoms, we have fever, respiratory symptoms, watery eyes, tiny bumps in mouth, and a full blown measles body rash. Yesterday the doctor tested her for strep, neg. And today her doctors & I (my mother being an RN, and myself in school for my RN) beginning to lean towards her having a Measles reaction from the shot. So I am awaiting the next thing to do regarding this. But I am wondering, shouldn't something like this be reported to the CDC and recorded?

I am also freaking out about my newest addition who is almost 4 months old..... Please pray for him if you are a praying family... Thanks.

Advertisement

IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014

Last edited by *Willow*; 10-30-2012 at 07:48 AM.
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

yes, report the reaction if it is determined related to the vaccine. (which seems like it would be, but idk if there are different strains and its possible your child came into contact with someone having measels before she was vaccinated and her body time to build up the antibodies to it...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How awful. Definitely report this to the CDC and your local health agency.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Your doctor should have to fill out paperwork on it. My friend at work, her daughter got chickenpox from the vax and he showed her the mound of paper work he had to fill out. Of course, he might not believe it's from the vax so if there's ways to report it yourself, do so. However, check around and see if there is any other kids with measles. It could be possible she was exposed before she built up antibodies as someone else mentioned.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

I believe the doctor who diagnosed her is skeptical the vaccine brought it on. I understand it is possible she could have been exposed other times, that the vaccine may have had nothing to do with it. I also think that sometimes this sort of reaction happens too. All I know is I have a child with measles and she received a MMR vax less than 2 weeks ago. I am going to call and see if there is going to be a report made. Does anyone know where I can begin a reporting process myself, besides through the doctor?
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014

Last edited by *Willow*; 10-30-2012 at 08:54 AM.
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter reacted to the MMR in a similar fashion, although I don't think she had spots in her mouth (not like she would have shown me) and the rash all over her body blanched. It lasted a full 3 days, which is what they told me was the 'normal' reaction duration. And it happened somewhere around 2 weeks after the vaccine.

after the 3 days, it was over. But I was fairly upset about it and have concerns about how I'm going to do the MMR in the future.

I assume, because they tested her for strep and other things that your daughter's spots aren't blanching?

I am sorry that she got the measles, I hope she's feeling better quickly!

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 10-30-2012 at 09:30 AM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://vaers.hhs.gov/index
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My youngest DD had that reaction too. I was already hesitant about the MMR after my other LO reacted to it, but her reaction was pretty mild and definatly not measles so we went ahead and did it for the younger. I regret it very much. It seems like hers started about a week and a half after the shot, if I remember right, and we took her in and her Dr. did dx it as related to the shot. The only plus she gave me was that her immunity would be better than someone who did not have a reaction. Of course it is--she got the illness!!! Most of her symtoms lasted about a week--a very miserable week. I will not give that shot to any future children. None of my children have had any shots since then, we used to just delay and be a bit selective....we might be anti-vax now. I'm sorry your family is going through this and hope that your LO gets better in a hurry and that your youngest does not have any kind of reaction.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

That is the main reason we quit vaxing.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If you look up the CDC fact sheet, it has some reporting info on it. I feel it's very important to report vaccine reactions to help keep accurate information on the safety of vaccines
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote