Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 14,304
My Mood:
Gosh, I am so sorry! That's not fun! We had a measles outbreak here a few years ago.

I just took a class for childcare providers and of course they drill you about vaccines and how important they are. The instructor always acts like vaccines are wonderful and it's the law to get them and there's no side effects. I have to bite my tongue through his classes because its such crap!
My son got a very mild case after his varicella vaccine at his 18 month well-baby. He had a fever and then 4-5 blisters on his trunk region. People claim it doesn't happen but I've seen it with my own eyes. My kids & I all got H1N1 after getting the vaccine. Chances are we contracted it before, but the vaccine made it WAY worse! One of my sons had it during the summer and the rest of us didn't get it. Then we all get the vaccine and we all get H1N1! But measles? Um yeah... Highly unlikely that you were exposed prior to the vaccine.

Advertisement

__________________
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
bluecandi's Avatar
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 3,100
My Mood:
Yes, this does need to be reported to the VAERS. Praying for your family!!
__________________
Hi I'm Candice: mama to E, A,and B. Wifey to K. On the road to being debt free with Dave Ramsey!
bluecandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Connor's Avatar
Connor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,743
Boo!
__________________
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

hit post too soon
__________________
Jennifer

Last edited by z2akids; 10-30-2012 at 12:14 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
bluecandi's Avatar
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The South
Posts: 3,100
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
Measles is a reportable disease. If she is diagosed with measles, it has to be reported to the local health department and the CDC (although I don't know the chain of command for reporting it).
The doctor who diagnoses it has to report it to the health department, who reports it to cdc. The doc should also assist with filing a report with VAERS.
__________________
Hi I'm Candice: mama to E, A,and B. Wifey to K. On the road to being debt free with Dave Ramsey!
bluecandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

Measles is a reportable disease. If she is diagosed with measles, it has to be reported to the local health department and the CDC (although I don't know the chain of command for reporting it). Cultures should be taken to determine whether or not she actually has measles. It is important to get an actual diagnosis - for her health, her future medical records and for those you might come into contact with. I would also be contacting my children's school to alert them to there being a case of measles in the school (or at least a sibling).

If it is a measles-like rash, but not measles, then it is not reportable to the health department. It certainly can be reported to VAERS, but a fever and rash is not an uncommon side effect of the vaccine. Somewhere around 5% of kids get a rash after their first vaccination and is not a full blown case of the measles.

Ultimately, you need to know whether your child has measles or simply a side effect of the vaccine.
__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,966
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Gosh, I am so sorry! That's not fun! We had a measles outbreak here a few years ago.

I just took a class for childcare providers and of course they drill you about vaccines and how important they are. The instructor always acts like vaccines are wonderful and it's the law to get them and there's no side effects. I have to bite my tongue through his classes because its such crap!
My son got a very mild case after his varicella vaccine at his 18 month well-baby. He had a fever and then 4-5 blisters on his trunk region. People claim it doesn't happen but I've seen it with my own eyes. My kids & I all got H1N1 after getting the vaccine. Chances are we contracted it before, but the vaccine made it WAY worse! One of my sons had it during the summer and the rest of us didn't get it. Then we all get the vaccine and we all get H1N1! But measles? Um yeah... Highly unlikely that you were exposed prior to the vaccine.
MMR is a live, attenuated vaccine, so it is possible to contract the disease from the vaccine, though current published statistics have it as rare. I believe flu shots (unless you get the nasal mist) are not live, which means you cannot contract the flu from them. I don't think anyone who's done even mild research believes there are no risks to vaccines. That's just silly. Any medical treatment has potential side effects.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
*Willow*'s Avatar
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WNC.. By The Fire
Posts: 2,497
My Mood:
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

When I took her to the doctor, her doctor was puzzled. In fact she even said she wasn't sure what was going on with her. Her symptoms were respiratory, combined with the rash. It does blanch when pressed, so I am not exactly sure why a strep test was done. Except because I had noticed my daughter was gagging on her food, and questioned the size of her tonsils (which are enlarged almost kissing but not kissing)... I believe the doctor first thought it was scarlet fever/strep with a rash. But it was negative, so they sent it off for culture.
They haven't confirmed with tests she has measles, I agree she needs to go back and be tested.. This is crazy.
When I asked the doctor if the shot caused it, the doctor really didn't seem very inclined to entertain the possibility of the vaccine being the culprit.
She did say it looked like measles.
So basically we left with a "possible" diagnosis, and I have called twice since to find out what to do now.
__________________
Willow <3Wife & <3Mom of 4, CNA, Birth Doula, WAHM, FT Student, Founder Of SBSNC
Before the mountains were born, before you gave birth to the earth and the world, from beginning to end, you are God. -Psalm 90:2 NLV
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014

Last edited by *Willow*; 10-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Measles is a reportable disease. If she is diagosed with measles, it has to be reported to the local health department and the CDC (although I don't know the chain of command for reporting it). Cultures should be taken to determine whether or not she actually has measles. It is important to get an actual diagnosis - for her health, her future medical records and for those you might come into contact with. I would also be contacting my children's school to alert them to there being a case of measles in the school (or at least a sibling).

If it is a measles-like rash, but not measles, then it is not reportable to the health department. It certainly can be reported to VAERS, but a fever and rash is not an uncommon side effect of the vaccine. Somewhere around 5% of kids get a rash after their first vaccination and is not a full blown case of the measles.

Ultimately, you need to know whether your child has measles or simply a side effect of the vaccine.
ITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Willow* View Post
When I took her to the doctor, her doctor was puzzled. In fact she even said she wasn't sure what was going on with her. Her symptoms were respiratory, combined with the rash. It does blanch when pressed, so I am not exactly sure why a strep test was done. Except because I had noticed my daughter was gagging on her food, and questioned the size of her tonsils (which are enlarged almost kissing but not kissing)... I believe the doctor first thought it was scarlet fever/strep with a rash. But it was negative, so they sent it off for culture.
They haven't confirmed with tests she has measles, I agree she needs to go back and be tested.. This is crazy.
When I asked the doctor if the shot caused it, the doctor really didn't seem very inclined to entertain the possibility of the vaccine being the culprit.
She did say it looked like measles.
So basically we left with a "possible" diagnosis, and I have called twice since to find out what to do now.
Maybe you should get a second opinion if you're getting nowhere with that Doctor.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,966
Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
ITA



Maybe you should get a second opinion if you're getting nowhere with that Doctor.
Yup.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.