Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Gosh, I am so sorry! That's not fun! We had a measles outbreak here a few years ago.

I just took a class for childcare providers and of course they drill you about vaccines and how important they are. The instructor always acts like vaccines are wonderful and it's the law to get them and there's no side effects. I have to bite my tongue through his classes because its such crap!
My son got a very mild case after his varicella vaccine at his 18 month well-baby. He had a fever and then 4-5 blisters on his trunk region. People claim it doesn't happen but I've seen it with my own eyes. My kids & I all got H1N1 after getting the vaccine. Chances are we contracted it before, but the vaccine made it WAY worse! One of my sons had it during the summer and the rest of us didn't get it. Then we all get the vaccine and we all get H1N1! But measles? Um yeah... Highly unlikely that you were exposed prior to the vaccine.

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Yes, this does need to be reported to the VAERS. Praying for your family!!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Boo!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

hit post too soon

Last edited by z2akids; 10-30-2012 at 12:14 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
Measles is a reportable disease. If she is diagosed with measles, it has to be reported to the local health department and the CDC (although I don't know the chain of command for reporting it).
The doctor who diagnoses it has to report it to the health department, who reports it to cdc. The doc should also assist with filing a report with VAERS.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Measles is a reportable disease. If she is diagosed with measles, it has to be reported to the local health department and the CDC (although I don't know the chain of command for reporting it). Cultures should be taken to determine whether or not she actually has measles. It is important to get an actual diagnosis - for her health, her future medical records and for those you might come into contact with. I would also be contacting my children's school to alert them to there being a case of measles in the school (or at least a sibling).

If it is a measles-like rash, but not measles, then it is not reportable to the health department. It certainly can be reported to VAERS, but a fever and rash is not an uncommon side effect of the vaccine. Somewhere around 5% of kids get a rash after their first vaccination and is not a full blown case of the measles.

Ultimately, you need to know whether your child has measles or simply a side effect of the vaccine.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Gosh, I am so sorry! That's not fun! We had a measles outbreak here a few years ago.

I just took a class for childcare providers and of course they drill you about vaccines and how important they are. The instructor always acts like vaccines are wonderful and it's the law to get them and there's no side effects. I have to bite my tongue through his classes because its such crap!
My son got a very mild case after his varicella vaccine at his 18 month well-baby. He had a fever and then 4-5 blisters on his trunk region. People claim it doesn't happen but I've seen it with my own eyes. My kids & I all got H1N1 after getting the vaccine. Chances are we contracted it before, but the vaccine made it WAY worse! One of my sons had it during the summer and the rest of us didn't get it. Then we all get the vaccine and we all get H1N1! But measles? Um yeah... Highly unlikely that you were exposed prior to the vaccine.
MMR is a live, attenuated vaccine, so it is possible to contract the disease from the vaccine, though current published statistics have it as rare. I believe flu shots (unless you get the nasal mist) are not live, which means you cannot contract the flu from them. I don't think anyone who's done even mild research believes there are no risks to vaccines. That's just silly. Any medical treatment has potential side effects.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

When I took her to the doctor, her doctor was puzzled. In fact she even said she wasn't sure what was going on with her. Her symptoms were respiratory, combined with the rash. It does blanch when pressed, so I am not exactly sure why a strep test was done. Except because I had noticed my daughter was gagging on her food, and questioned the size of her tonsils (which are enlarged almost kissing but not kissing)... I believe the doctor first thought it was scarlet fever/strep with a rash. But it was negative, so they sent it off for culture.
They haven't confirmed with tests she has measles, I agree she needs to go back and be tested.. This is crazy.
When I asked the doctor if the shot caused it, the doctor really didn't seem very inclined to entertain the possibility of the vaccine being the culprit.
She did say it looked like measles.
So basically we left with a "possible" diagnosis, and I have called twice since to find out what to do now.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014

Last edited by *Willow*; 10-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Measles is a reportable disease. If she is diagosed with measles, it has to be reported to the local health department and the CDC (although I don't know the chain of command for reporting it). Cultures should be taken to determine whether or not she actually has measles. It is important to get an actual diagnosis - for her health, her future medical records and for those you might come into contact with. I would also be contacting my children's school to alert them to there being a case of measles in the school (or at least a sibling).

If it is a measles-like rash, but not measles, then it is not reportable to the health department. It certainly can be reported to VAERS, but a fever and rash is not an uncommon side effect of the vaccine. Somewhere around 5% of kids get a rash after their first vaccination and is not a full blown case of the measles.

Ultimately, you need to know whether your child has measles or simply a side effect of the vaccine.
ITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Willow* View Post
When I took her to the doctor, her doctor was puzzled. In fact she even said she wasn't sure what was going on with her. Her symptoms were respiratory, combined with the rash. It does blanch when pressed, so I am not exactly sure why a strep test was done. Except because I had noticed my daughter was gagging on her food, and questioned the size of her tonsils (which are enlarged almost kissing but not kissing)... I believe the doctor first thought it was scarlet fever/strep with a rash. But it was negative, so they sent it off for culture.
They haven't confirmed with tests she has measles, I agree she needs to go back and be tested.. This is crazy.
When I asked the doctor if the shot caused it, the doctor really didn't seem very inclined to entertain the possibility of the vaccine being the culprit.
She did say it looked like measles.
So basically we left with a "possible" diagnosis, and I have called twice since to find out what to do now.
Maybe you should get a second opinion if you're getting nowhere with that Doctor.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
ITA

Maybe you should get a second opinion if you're getting nowhere with that Doctor.
Yup.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote