Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Diagnosis Measles, within 12 days of MMR vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Willow* View Post
When I took her to the doctor, her doctor was puzzled. In fact she even said she wasn't sure what was going on with her. Her symptoms were respiratory, combined with the rash. It does blanch when pressed, so I am not exactly sure why a strep test was done. Except because I had noticed my daughter was gagging on her food, and questioned the size of her tonsils (which are enlarged almost kissing but not kissing)... I believe the doctor first thought it was scarlet fever/strep with a rash. But it was negative, so they sent it off for culture.
They haven't confirmed with tests she has measles, I agree she needs to go back and be tested.. This is crazy.
When I asked the doctor if the shot caused it, the doctor really didn't seem very inclined to entertain the possibility of the vaccine being the culprit.
She did say it looked like measles.
So basically we left with a "possible" diagnosis, and I have called twice since to find out what to do now.
This was how our doc reacted when we thought my kid had whooping cough. They had all the symptoms. The doc never did a culture, never tested anything, just sent us home with a "could be" diagnosis and a "call if it gets worse" follow up.

I was pretty irritated, esp since we had just travelled to a place where there was a whooping cough outbreak, I was pg., and my DD was coughing until she was blacking out or vomiting. We never got meds, and never got any answers.

Whatever it was (and I wholeheartedly believe it was whooping cough) spread to DS, who had a mild case, and then I caught it and had it FOREVER, and broke a rib during a coughing fit.

Anyway, my whole point is, get a second opinion if your doc is not cooperating. Not having answers really sucks.

I hope your baby feels better.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Update..

VAERS report made, and doctor has officially ordered the blood work at the Childrens Hospital Clinic. Ok so it looks like everything is lining up a bit more appropriately. Still need prayers though. I am not very content to think about my 4month old catching it.

Thank you mamas for all the responses!
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

My ds experienced a violent reaction to a vax and my doc flat out denied it. Knowing that now, if it ever happened again I would go straight to the hospital and ask for testing.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

MMR is a live, attenuated vaccine, so it is possible to contract the disease from the vaccine, though current published statistics have it as rare. I believe flu shots (unless you get the nasal mist) are not live, which means you cannot contract the flu from them. I don't think anyone who's done even mild research believes there are no risks to vaccines. That's just silly. Any medical treatment has potential side effects.
I understand how vaccines work and that the H1N1 isn't live hence me saying we were most likely exposed before, but getting the vaccine before we were "sick" made our illnesses far worse than had we just gotten it. Our Ped has confirmed this as well. DS3 & dh didn't get the vaccine and only the illness and both were better in 3-5 days where everyone was sick for 6+ wks. My point is that while the flu is common, measles isn't! The likelihood of being exposed to measles shortly before the vaccine is very low, where the flu is high.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi

I understand how vaccines work and that the H1N1 isn't live hence me saying we were most likely exposed before, but getting the vaccine before we were "sick" made our illnesses far worse than had we just gotten it. Our Ped has confirmed this as well. DS3 & dh didn't get the vaccine and only the illness and both were better in 3-5 days where everyone was sick for 6+ wks. My point is that while the flu is common, measles isn't! The likelihood of being exposed to measles shortly before the vaccine is very low, where the flu is high.
That's fair. Measles is definitely not common in the US anymore.

Generally curious. Obviously since measles is a live vaccine you have the chance of contracting it. Even though I know the diseases are very different, how is that conceptually different from 'chicken pox parties'? Intentionally infecting your child to gain immunity?

Last edited by mibarra; 10-31-2012 at 10:00 AM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

That's fair. Measles is definitely not common in the US anymore.

Generally curious. Obviously since measles is a live vaccine you have the chance of contracting it. Even though I know the diseases are very different, how is that conceptually different from 'chicken pox parties'? Intentionally infecting your child to gain immunity?
Because you typically don't get the full blown illness from a vaccine, just enough to build/form the immunity.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kason's mommy View Post
That is the main reason we quit vaxing.
when my 17 yr old was a yr old we were in the hospital 1 wk after his mmr bc he was shrieking, high pitched and covered in spots. the ER docs were useless (it was Christmas Day) and didn't believe it was related to his vax. they called his ped who said, "it absolutely is from the vax" . We stopped then and there (and he was dx'd at age 2 with SPD, CAPD and other spectrumy things)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Because you typically don't get the full blown illness from a vaccine, just enough to build/form the immunity.
Sorry, my question was unclear! I was more interested in people who don't vaccinate but do participate in things like 'chicken pox parties', wondering how they look at it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Sorry, my question was unclear! I was more interested in people who don't vaccinate but do participate in things like 'chicken pox parties', wondering how they look at it.
We don't vax and i would totally take my kids to play at someone's house whose kid had CP. The CP vax is still pretty new, they don't know for sure how long immunity lasts, but we do know that contracting the virus naturally gives life long immunity. Also CP is not fatal for kids who are otherwise healthy, with a normally functioning immune system. So I think the vax is worthless anyways. I would RATHER my kids catch it naturally, be itchy and uncomfortable for a week or two, and then have life long immunity, than get a vax for a non fatal illness and not know when immunity runs out.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS2 didn't get MMR until he was 4. However I stupidly got him the flu shot & the pneumonia vaccine in January of 2011. It was a Monday. Friday we spent the day in the ER and with the diagnosis of infulenza, he was admitted to the PICU. Saturday he was diagnosed with pneumonia. Fun stuff. No flu shots for us, thank you very much. I always worry about how there are claims that you can't get xyz from the xyz vaccine. I know better.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote