Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
texanromaniac
Registered Users

EC advice needed!!

So, I still have at least 16 weeks till baby comes (I am 22 1/2 weeks now)...but I am already working on a registry for people who ask what we might need...being as there will be almost four years between kiddos and this one being a girl (Bug is a little dude). For someone who plans on starting cloth diapering/EC-ing once we are past the meconium stage (and who only used disposables/did part-time EC from 6 months with Bug)...what are the recommended basics to have on hand? I don't want to use wool, but other than that...I am pretty open to whatever. Cheaper is better, though...as funds are tight-ish.

Would ya'll do a diaper kit (that has the prefolds, covers, and sometimes extras like liners or a wet bag)...and if so, would you use Econobum, Real Nappies, or Bummis? Or would you just recommend a certain number of prefolds and covers...and if so, which ones? I am REALLY new to both cloth diapering and EC!!

I already added a potty bowl, PUL pads, and some Ecapants to my registry...still need to add some Snappis. I also added some Alva diapers for when we are out away from home, cause I don't know how much EC-ing we will be doing while out and about (but then, we are mostly home).

Advertisement

texanromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
wafflefish
Registered Users

Re: EC advice needed!!

We started using a smart potty around 2 months. It seemed big but she grew into it fast. I didn't like bending down to hold her over the toilet.
wafflefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would do a basic diaper kit, like you mentioned. Prefolds and covers are easiest for EC. If you want a good EC book, I recommend "EC simplified" by Andrea Olson. She has a lot of gear suggestions and recs and tries to keep things economical for you. I usually have baby cover less during the day. I use prefold belts from ecwear.com to keep the prefold in place, really helpful for quick changes and helpful for any type of pull up cover. Could just try using a head band instead of an actual prefold belt. I agree with pp, bbsp is a great potty to start with, even though it will be big for baby at first. Hope that gives you a start!

ETA: There are A LOT of different types of covers out there. I think newborn covers are very helpful, even for big newborn babies. One Size covers don't seem to fit well for newborn until at least a couple of weeks. I like GMD (green mountain diapers) prefolds. Many ppl. Sell them here of all sizes. There's also a "seconds" sale for them at the moment. Check it out at www.greenmountaindiapers.com.

Last edited by strongwoman; 12-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
wafflefish
Registered Users

For us prefolds never really worked out as diapers but for the early weeks I did use them alot under the baby when she was diaperless, in my lap or in the bouncy seat. I mostly used flats and if I did it over I wish a would have gotten some fitteds. I found that going coverless with a snappied diaper they occasionally come unhooked once your baby is moving around.
wafflefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongwoman
I would do a basic diaper kit, like you mentioned. Prefolds and covers are easiest for EC. If you want a good EC book, I recommend "EC simplified" by Andrea Olson. She has a lot of gear suggestions and recs and tries to keep things economical for you. I usually have baby cover less during the day. I use prefold belts from ecwear.com to keep the prefold in place, really helpful for quick changes and helpful for any type of pull up cover. Could just try using a head band instead of an actual prefold belt. I agree with pp, bbsp is a great potty to start with, even though it will be big for baby at first. Hope that gives you a start!

ETA: There are A LOT of different types of covers out there. I think newborn covers are very helpful, even for big newborn babies. One Size covers don't seem to fit well for newborn until at least a couple of weeks. I like GMD (green mountain diapers) prefolds. Many ppl. Sell them here of all sizes. There's also a "seconds" sale for them at the moment. Check it out at www.greenmountaindiapers.com.
Well, I was going to recommend EC Simplified and GMD, but you already did! So I second that. Even if you don't buy from GMD, their site is very educational. Prefolds are very versatile amd easy to use one you get the hang of them, and they are affordable and easy to wash too.

I prefer "sized" prefolds like GMD, Imagine Smart Fit, or Diaper Rite over ones with infant/premium sizing.

For an added luxury, I also really like some aios or ai2's (aplix are easiest) for ripping on and off for pottying and for outings. My favorites for ease of use and natural fibers are Bumgenius Elementals (only come in snaps)), Grovia AI2's, and Nana's Bottoms. You can always get a great deal on Nana's Bottoms by getting a pack and using her sale code. I didn't really need these until after the newborn stage- I just used prefolds until the one sized diapers fit.

A budget option for an easy diaper is to trifold prefolds in a cover and it functions as an all-in-two. If you get one of the covers with flaps it makes it a bit easier to get on and off.

I'd recommend starting with some newborn and/or small prefolds and covers and see how they work for you before buying bigger sizes. If you want to try some other things get one of each and see how you like them before buying a lot.

Also make sure you have a spot to lay baby down and change them near the potty. I put a changing table in the bathroom and that was helpful.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflefish
For us prefolds never really worked out as diapers but for the early weeks I did use them alot under the baby when she was diaperless, in my lap or in the bouncy seat. I mostly used flats and if I did it over I wish a would have gotten some fitteds. I found that going coverless with a snappied diaper they occasionally come unhooked once your baby is moving around.
Yes, once dd got mobile GMD Workhorse fitteds with the snaps were awesome! Easier changes and no snappi.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote