Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Herbal tea for DS?

DS has recently developed an obsession with anything in a coffee cup. He is 17 months, and when my back was turned and my coffee was on a table I *thought* he couldn't reach (or chose not to reach while I was watching!) he drank more than a half a cup of my caffeinated coffee!!!!! Ahhhhh! Luckily all it did was shorten his nap by 45 minutes or so. :S

But what I wanted to know is, if I can give him "his" coffee cup, can he drink decaf herbal tea? Like chamomile, hibiscus/rose (thinking he will like that since it is naturally sweet), etc.? It would just be 1/2 a cup or so a day while I have *mommy's* tea, but I didn't know if there could be any adverse consequences. Thoughts?

Advertisement

KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Herbal tea for DS?

We give my 9 month old chamomile and she loves it! I think it's fine as long as it's not super strong.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I would do some research regarding the particular herbs that you want to give to your LO. Some herbs are very safe for babies/toddlers while some may not be safe or at least have not been tested on babies.

I don't think that a toddler needs tea. I would probably try a dark mug with water in it. Baby won't be able to tell that it is simply water in a dark colored mug.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

I babysat for someone who was a midwife and she let her kids drink herbal tea like chamomile and peppermint and have real tea parties. Im sure its fine its probably even healthy
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
I don't think that a toddler needs tea. I would probably try a dark mug with water in it. Baby won't be able to tell that it is simply water in a dark colored mug.
I don't think he "needs" it, either, but I have already tried what you suggested, even with warmed water or warmed milk. He likes it because it's warm and sweet (the tea is, naturally, I don't add sugar... Not sure why he enjoyed the coffee, though...). He's not going to settle for anything but what he knows is tea, and unfortunately he knows.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama
We give my 9 month old chamomile and she loves it! I think it's fine as long as it's not super strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAppenzeller
I babysat for someone who was a midwife and she let her kids drink herbal tea like chamomile and peppermint and have real tea parties. Im sure its fine its probably even healthy

Thanks, mamas! I think I will start with some mild chamomile or a chamomile blend. I have a "sleepy time" tea... Maybe it will work haha!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Rooibos is also perfectly safe, and can stand up to a bit of milk as well. I've always mixed a simple herb tea (Frontier's Very Berry or Forever Fruit) and rooibos with a touch of honey to make iced tea for our family.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner
Rooibos is also perfectly safe, and can stand up to a bit of milk as well. I've always mixed a simple herb tea (Frontier's Very Berry or Forever Fruit) and rooibos with a touch of honey to make iced tea for our family.
I'm off to google... But what is Rooibos? Never heard of it.

ETA: ah... I see. Just a different type of herb. I'm not exactly a tea aficionado, it's just cold in the house! Haha
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

chamomile tea is very safe for children to drink. we used to give it to ds in small amounts in a bottle when he was a baby and had a hard time going to sleep. just brew it weakly and let it cool a bit
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD loves tea. We just give her a little of ours in milk and she gobbles it up.

Last edited by hbee; 10-31-2012 at 10:42 AM.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote