Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
does your child's teacher organize parties?

When I was a preschool teacher the teacher always organized the party- assigning tasks to parents who volunteer. For dd's Halloween party the teacher sent out and email to 5 parents who had signed up as volunteers telling us to talk among ourselves and organize the party. What does your teacher do? Seems like when I was in school the teacher always organized too. I don't really mind except that of the 5 only 2 of us have been planning the party. Both of us have sent multiple emails to the other parents asking for ideas and if they are going to be in the room. I got 1 email back for someone who wanted to do the snack, but not all the snack just part of it. No one else even responded- no I am too busy, can't afford it, nothing, no response at all. So instead of having an even split up craft, game, story, snack, treat bags we have 2 parents doing (and paying for) everything. I feel like the out come would have been a lot different if the teacher had asked for people to do specific stuff instead of just saying figure it out. Of course since we are all adults one would assume we could work it out. We were completely ignored. Hope the next party planners have better luck. Neither one of really minded planning it with just the 2 of us, we do mind paying for it just the 2 of us though. And that the parents signed up to do parties and aren't actually doing anything- which isn't so much the problem as the just ignoring are contact attempts. its not the hard to respond with a - i just can't do this right now.

I dare one of them to complain about the party or what we have chosen.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
The teacher sounds like a dud.

My daughter's upk teacher seems to have planned this long ago. My daughter started attending October 15. Last Friday teacher sent a letter with a Halloween-ish border recapping what each parent was bringing (apples, crudites, cider, candy) and who was volunteering. This seems to be a middle to upper middle class district though, so I doubt the parents would have let this fail even if it was all on them. I mean, there was something about applying the kids' makeup before class. I was like makeup?? For the class party?!

The good news is, the kids will have fun anyway.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Teaching is quite job enough-- I'm not adding party planning time to my extensive list of obligations in the classroom. I actually do not like class parties and have never had them in my room (have taught 6-12 grades). No one has ever complained, my students and parents love me, and my kids have excellent test scores.

Eta: My elementary aged kids usually have two holiday parties at their schools. Ime, the parents do all o the planning, and I will send in something prepackaged or whatnot, but in no way do I have the time to help plan or execute the party. I'd be fine if there were no parties.

Last edited by soonerfan; 10-31-2012 at 08:57 AM.
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
Teaching is quite job enough-- I'm not adding party planning time to my extensive list of obligations in the classroom. I actually do not like class parties and have never had them in my room (have taught 6-12 grades). No one has ever complained, my students and parents love me, and my kids have excellent test scores.
With all due respect, the foundation of a good upk (and K imo) program should be play. Therefore, it should fall under the purview of the teacher to ensure success.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner

With all due respect, the foundation of a good upk (and K imo) program should be play. Therefore, it should fall under the purview of the teacher to ensure success.
I agree that preschool and K should be based in learning through play. However, since when does "play" equal "party"?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: does your child's teacher organize parties?

i put a list up and if the parents want to bring something then they do...if not I am not going to pay for it all. I buy one thing for the class and thats it. when i worked for the navy we weren't allowed to do holiday parties so that made it so easy. no holiday crafts or any thing.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post

Eta: My elementary aged kids usually have two holiday parties at their schools. Ime, the parents do all o the planning, and I will send in something prepackaged or whatnot, but in no way do I have the time to help plan or execute the party. I'd be fine if there were no parties.
I don't really see why the teacher should have to plan it, we are adults. Thats part of what makes me mad because if the teacher had sent out a you do this or sign up list more people would have cooperated. Its always been my experience that the teacher sends out sign up list. So not really planning, but making people more accountable then you guys work it out. Because my daughter has food allergies I prefer no parties too. In pre-k I would pick her up before food parties. A few books, maybe a treat and them wearing their costumes would be good for me. This is a full fledged party though. And the teacher did say in her email for us to plan food, games, activity and stories. So there was direction but only 2 of us stepped up and actually did anything. I think everybody thought they were signing up to actually be at the party and not plan it, but a simple response would have been nice.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan

I agree that preschool and K should be based in learning through play. However, since when does "play" equal "party"?
Obviously I can't argue that they are the same. I think though, that having a "pumpkin" toss, parade and what have you are play. The party part - putting up a sign-up sheet with items to bring and volunteers to help shouldn't really put a pre-K teacher's neck out of joint.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD's elementary school leaves it up to the head room mother to organize it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner

Obviously I can't argue that they are the same. I think though, that having a "pumpkin" toss, parade and what have you are play. The party part - putting up a sign-up sheet with items to bring and volunteers to help shouldn't really put a pre-K teacher's neck out of joint.
The teacher contacted the parent volunteers to organize the party. How does that either make her a "dud" or demonstrate that her "neck is out of joint?" Your language and attitude towards this teacher, a teacher you don't know, seems really odd.