Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: does your child's teacher organize parties?

I agree with both points of view.

For a pre-K and K class, the teacher should have no problems changing up the normal 'play' to be fall/harvest based play. But, as a parent, I wouldn't be overly excited if the teacher was bringing out coloring pictures of witches and skeletons to my kids as I may prefer to be the one teaching my child about 'witches'. that's a discussion for another time.

For grades past that, I do agree that the focus is more academic and it shouldn't really fall completely on the teacher to organize parties on top of lesson plans. They can make it easy and put up a sign up sheet, but if kids are going home on busses, etc, then the parents aren't going to SEE a sign up sheet, so it gets complicated and how much effort should really go into a holiday type party?

I think it's great when parents take these projects on for themselves and I think it's really crummy when other parents don't even take the time to respond to an email to say 'I will be unable to help' or whatever. But people these days think RSVP'ing to anything is optional, so I don't know how to change the rude nature of society.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For our party, the kids iced and decorated pumpkin and ghost cookies. It was the last half hour of the day.

They went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch last week.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At our school there are a couple of room mothers per classroom who do all the planning and execution of parties (and various other duties throughout the year). We also have a yearly budget of $15 per student (activity fee charged during registration so not an optional thing) that we can use to purchase things for the classroom parties. The teacher doesn't take part in the planning or running (just participating) of the parties. We always send out a letter the begining of the year listing all the ways that parents can help and asking for volunteers. Then when party time rolls around note (or email) is sent out with "assignments" and letting parents know if they can no longer help to let us know ASAP. I would never have thought the teacher would plan/execute the party since they have enough to do with their classes.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never had a teacher plan a party. It always falls on the head room mom to do so. Usually an email is sent out with a list of needed items and parents email back what they would like to contribute from the list. After the initial "I'll bring this" responses, there's another email telling us what still needs to be brought. The day before we get a reminder email with everyone's name next to their item(s).

That said, the kids at the public school are only allowed 3 parties per year (Christmas, valentine's, end of year).

OP, if the other "volunteers" didn't even respond to the group saying they couldn't participate, I doubt that the teacher giving assignments would have gotten much further. It's also possible that your emails got sent to the junkmail box.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I taught K, I changed up our normal classroom activities to include fun seasonally themed activities and projects, but parties were left 100% to room mothers who signed up at the beginning of the year. This is how it was k-5 (and the 6-8 they didn't have parties, just a special snack)

I would be more annoyed that mothers who signed up to help were now dropping the ball, but I don't think that party planning should be left to the teacher
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

My kids school this year does not allow parties at all. They are not allowed to celebrate ANYTHING. I am room mom in one of my kids class and the teacher says they have 2 "learning days" where they do something fun (pj day, bring a special toy...) That is it. I would love to plan a party by myself if it meant my kids got to have one .
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kason's mommy
My kids school this year does not allow parties at all. They are not allowed to celebrate ANYTHING. I am room mom in one of my kids class and the teacher says they have 2 "learning days" where they do something fun (pj day, bring a special toy...) That is it. I would love to plan a party by myself if it meant my kids got to have one .
See, this actually seems better to me
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Preschool has always been organized by the teacher. Parents sign up to being specific stuff. My experience with elementary has been that the room mom kinda organizes it and makes sure people have signed up to bring stuff or help out. nobody is required to do either.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

The parents plan the parties. Well mainly one mom. When I grow up, I want to be just like her

The parents plan the parties and come up with assignments and stuff to buy and give to the teacher. So the teacher will send home notes with each kid that their parent is responsible for. It's usually simple stuff like a pack of napkins or a pack or paper plates. Food is generally handled by myself and this other mom as we are the only two sahms. We recognize that food is the most time consuming task when it comes to parties and as sahms, we have the most time on our hands. My son attends a small private school and every body knows everyone. The parents are very good about doing the things asked when it comes to parties.

Ds's class teacher has a big farm and does a third grade party every fall for both classes. She provides hot dogs and her dh grills them. She also provides water and lemonade to drink. We organized things for each parent to bring. Because it was a combined class party, no one person had to bring very much. It was like a couple packs of paper plates, napkins, mustard and ketchup, a couple bags of chips...etc. Myself and the other mom baked desserts.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

We always have an open house a few days before school starts so the parents and students can meet their teachers. During open house there is a sign up sheet for the parties. During DS1 first year the teacher called and asked 3 or 4 parents to bring an item. Every year since then though 1 parent is chosen to coordinate the party and id given phone number of 4 other parents that want to help. I've been in charge of 1 party for each of my 2 boys for the last 3 years. Every parent that I've called has helped but it has been a little frustrating. Last year I sent goodies to another parent that was going to put together the goodie bags and she missed the party and showed up just minutes before the kids were dismissed so I was solo except for the teacher while trying to help Kindergartners decorate halloween cookies. This year I called 2 parents and asked them to send candy in for goodie bags and they each sent only 1 bag of candy that 8-10 peices of candy for a class of 24. I was going to supply little toys, pencils and the bags but ending up having to go and buy more candy so all the kids could have 2 or 3 peices each. I was annoyed but I think some people just don't think about small details or how important and fun these parties are to the kids. I'm sorry the parents didn't step up. If your in this situation again maybe ask the teacher if she can give you phone numbers which IMO is harder to ignore than an email and if she can't give out their phone numbers maybe ask the teacher to send a note to the parents.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote