Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
argecash
Registered Users

Re: Late talking children

Some very bright children, especially boys, are late talkers. I saw a show about this on PBS years ago. The children turn out to be very analytical.

http://kelleyward.hubpages.com/hub/Children-Who-Talk-Late

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 13 month old says....."Uh Oh!" and that's it!

I plan to discuss at her 12 month check up (we are still getting over chicken pox and a cold- and the ped won't see them if they even have a hint of "something sick")...I am not "concerned" pre se...but her older brother and sister are both getting speech therapy and I had no idea it was a problem until they were a lot older. I don't want the baby to struggle.

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would not worry a bit about it until after 18 months. My daughter's vocabulary literally exploded at 18 months and then again at 24 months. Was overnight.

To get them to speak more, just ask them. If they're pointing and babbling, say 'milk? you want milk?' or you can act like you don't know 'are you wanting milk or juice?' or something like that. You just give them enough chances to try without frustrating them. and animal sounds count as words.. so you can work on those things, which are a bit easier for some kids.

we did a lot of pointing to things at first. "can you find the flower? can you find the monkey?' and then she switched it up to using the words.

HTH
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Trynitey
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes I think pediatricians and doctors are far too quick to suggest speech therapy. They say 18mos to 24mos is their vocab explosion. 2 out of 3 kids didn't start talking until they were 2. My youngest is saying more and more each day and I'm not concerned. My first was talking up a storm and exceptionally well by 2yrs old, while my other 2 had no words except maybe 3 that weren't crystal clear until 2. Each child is different. If they are communicating in other ways, just continue to do what you are doing and read books and point at things while taking walks or cleaning and tell him what they are. He'll catch on. I personally wouldn't worry unless he wasn't communicating at all AND he had no words by age 2.
Need Extra Money? Swagbucks or Persona Paper
Trynitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I agree with your ped, refer at 18 months if no progress. Some kids are late talkers, some have language delays, but by the time you find out by waiting, you have wasted months, if not years, of time they could have been getting therapy. And when it comes to language therapy, the earlier, the better. A SLP will be able to look at the whole picture and help determine which is the case. Most 2 year olds should have about 59 words, and be starting to put two words together.

I would do 2 things:
1) Talk about everything you do. Talk til you feel ridiculous. Talk and talk and talk some more. Comment on everything you see. It really helps.

2) See if he will learn some signs to communicate basic wants and needs, like eat, drink, more, mommy, ect.

Good luck!
This!!! You will never regret getting an evaluation or therapy, but if there is something wrong, you will be upset with yourself for losing important time. I have a son with a language delay and am very thankful I didn't wait. The therapy has helped him greatly. Don't wait!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
i would get an eval if he makes it to 18 months with no words. My biggest mistake was listening to others when I knew something wasnt quite right. By the time we got our eval done my daughter had a speech level of a 5 month old (expressive) at 21 months. Her receptive speech has always been above her age.

Typically the low end of normal is 8 words by 18 months. But it cant hurt to get the call in to EI (it can take 30-45 days for an eval)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son grunted and pointed until 20 mths when he finally said his first word "NO!". He had 10-15 by the time he turned 2. By 2.5 his speech was advanced. He's 3 now, never stops talking, and his speech is clearer than most of the 5yos in DD's Kinder class!

I will say what I always say on these threads: There is a HUGE range of normal at this age. I would NOT be concerned based on what you are stating. That said, if your "mama-gut" is telling you something is wrong (not other people, not comparing to other children; your "gut"), go ahead and get him evaluated. If he qualifies, the therapy won't hurt him even if he would have developed just fine on his own. If he doesn't qualify, then it is one worry to cross off your list.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
At 18 months old, DS1 said about 5 words and not often. The pedi suggested we evaluate him for speech and autism. Having a autistic nephew and feeling comfortable that wasn't the case, I declined. At his next appt at 2, she asked how his speech was coming along and he replied in sentences. He was identifying all upper case letters and some lower. He was one of those kids that wouldn't talk until he could do it fluently. Now, at almost 5, he talks nonstop.

DS2 is now 20 months. He says about 10 words and most of those are only intelligible by my mom and I, even DH doesn't understand most of them. He grunts, points and babbles. He knows a few signs and will use them when he feels like it. Part of me feels like he *should* talk more, but I try to remind myself that he's still ahead of where DS1 was at this point, and he's fine.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi
I will say what I always say on these threads: There is a HUGE range of normal at this age. I would NOT be concerned based on what you are stating. That said, if your "mama-gut" is telling you something is wrong (not other people, not comparing to other children; your "gut"), go ahead and get him evaluated. If he qualifies, the therapy won't hurt him even if he would have developed just fine on his own. If he doesn't qualify, then it is one worry to cross off your list.
This. Exactly.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
It's especially strange when an older sibling is far advanced in language and another seems to fall behind the curve.
This!! It's so hard not to compare. My first kiddo was pretty average overall, then my second was ahead of the curve. My third is developmentally delayed. Since she is so much slower than the one before, it feels excruciatingly slow. I know it's super hard, but try not to compare. And boys generally do talk later than girls. If his receptive language is good, and all other areas of development are fine, I would try not to worry yet. It also seems like sometimes the first child will talk for the second, so sometimes that slows progress. If your DD is talking for your DS, try to curb that. And make sure he has a reason to talk. If he wants milk, have him attempt to communicate that to you with a word (any attempt, doesn't have to be intelligable). So give him lots of oppurtunity, but also give him some time.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote