Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Should I be doing a lesson per day with my Kindergartener?

I'm wondering if maybe I should have bought a full curriculum with a day to day schedule of lessons because right now we just do our work and do whatever interests us and learn things as they come up. But I'm starting to think maybe I should be presenting them with a lesson every day.

Not sure.... any thoughts?

We went with a pieced together curriculum because I wanted to pick and choose the things we cover, and cover things that aren't really covered in the curriculums we were looking at. But I'm wondering if the route we are on right now might not be giving them consistency of learning in a "correct order".

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Should I be doing a lesson per day with my Kindergartener?

We do the basics...reading, writing, math. I also pieced together curriculum b/c I found the K programs I looked at to be too time consuming for what my DS could handle. We move pretty quickly through the basics and only do them 3 times a week. Even though we only do formal school 3x per week he's almost finished with his K reading program. We will probably be done before Thanksgiving. We also cover Bible/character on those days...I try to base it on what behavior/manners might need correction at the time etc. I have devotionals and stories that I choose at random, we also do this quickly and lightheartedly. We do an animal of the day flash card and read about their traits/the kids pretend to be that animal and sometimes we'll have a snack that the animal might eat like seeds/fruit/veggies. We do a few other flash cards that we breeze through SUPER fast. Like numbers to a hundred. I might randomly choose a series of 5-10. We do a couple of telling time flash cards and talk about that and sometimes we'll add shapes or colors so my younger one can participate.

He's not really ready for long stretches of school work so I'd rather he give his best effort on the basics and we'll add in more when we can.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Meh...it's really up to you. If you want a more structured daily lesson, that would be fine. If not, that would still be fine. The only thing I can think of that would be a bit of a pain is if you are planning to use a set curriculum soon, and it doesn't present in the same order that you have taught. Like Math U See and Singapore both cover everything, but their order is totally different. Even then though you can just adjust it to fit your needs. If you are liking what you are doing and it's working for you and your kids, I'd probably stick with that.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I think that so long as you are getting math and phonics in a organized fashion, that's what matters. And even with math, at that age, I don't think it's a need yet.

For us, kindergarten is phonics/reading (Sing, Spell, Read, and Write) and math (Math-U-See). Oh, and some of the kids have done handwriting because they requested it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd follow her/his lead. With ds1 we do because he asks to do school work.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I think that so long as you are getting math and phonics in a organized fashion, that's what matters. And even with math, at that age, I don't think it's a need yet.

For us, kindergarten is phonics/reading (Sing, Spell, Read, and Write) and math (Math-U-See). Oh, and some of the kids have done handwriting because they requested it.

We do exactly this.. Except We do handwriting (print & cursive) practice daily..
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014

Last edited by *Willow*; 11-01-2012 at 07:37 AM.
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Thanks everyone! We use abeka for phonics and math and he's doing great with that. He's reading full sentences and adding and subtracting, reading clocks and whatnot.... I just was starting to worry that by not "dispensing a nugget of information every day" (LOL) I was doing a huge disservice to him....

I think I may still buy the full abeka K curriculum though just so everything is right there, just open the book kinda thing... I like picking and choosing but I am honestly kinda scatterbrained so it will probably help to just have all the books from them and skip certain things if we really just don't want to do that
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote