Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:
Start to Read! Complete Early Reading Program

Anyone have any experience with this program? They are having a sale on it for 50% off, and it looks neat. Just not sure it would be worth it, so I was hoping to get some feedback on it first.

http://www.schoolzone.com/readers/st...m_medium=email

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Start to Read! Complete Early Reading Program

I don't have experience with this particular program, but have some questions/thoughts based on my limited knowledge of school zone products and the description I read. Would you be using this set as the only reading instruction? If so, will 5 beginning reader books give enough instruction without your child memorizing the words and not really learning them? Will 18 books provide enough variety to hold your child's interest?

My impression of this set is that it would be a fun supplement to a more thorough reading curriculum. I'm not sure what capacity you would be using it in, so if that's the way you were thinking of using it, then I think it would be good. My 4yo would work through the book once, memorize the story (with no "reading" of the words) and repeat it back to me word for word. Actual instruction would be lost on him b/c to him, he's already reading the story. For other kids, this might not be the case.

Is the $60 the sale price or is it 50% off of $60? I would probably pass regardless since I have access to a library with a fabulous early reader section, but for $30 it would consider it if I didn't have many other books. For $60, no way.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for your input! I currently do not have a particular program for my son picked out. I wish I could afford All About Reading, but that is really not in our budget right now. I did pick up the book "How to teach your child to read in a 100 easy lessons." I have heard nothing but good things about that book, so figured I would give it a try.

After your input, I guess I need to consider if this will be worth the cost. I guess I may not have fully understood what all was included. We have a good many easy readers, and just like you said, my son will "read" them back to me from memory.

And yes, the cost if 50% off the $59.99, so it is on sale for $29.99.

Thanks for you time with the great input! :]
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
melodyjstray
Registered Users
seller

I used Teach Your Child to Read... and it worked, but my daughter really hated it. (That was OUR experience, though... my sister used it with all of her kids without any problems.) I am currently using Explode the Code, which I really like and think is reasonably priced. Good luck finding something you both love!
Wife of Chris, mama to Evangeline (7/8/07), Cana (7/3/09), and Ruby Rae (6/25/11), follower of Jesus of Nazareth. Get free amazon gift cards: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melodyjstray Read my pointless ponderings: www.soggymama.blogspot.com
melodyjstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not familiar with Explode the Code, I will have to look into it. Thank you! :]
Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am really falling in love with Hooked on Phonics. Like I wish I had used it for dd. I used ETC with her but it wasn't clicking because handwriting is hard for her and that discouraged her. I have bought the HoP kindergarten for 4yo DS and Master Reader program for 8yo dd. They both really enjoy it, it's easy to manage, and I see progress. I also like you can spend as little as $25 at Walmart or Target to get started. I bought Master Reader on eBay for $29.99.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm using The Reading Lesson for DS. I think the idea of it is similar to 100 Easy Lessons. I picked up it used for $12. If you already have 100 Easy Lessons, I would start with that and just do a lot of reading on the side. I've noticed that DS is pointing out words that we've worked on in our "reading" lessons when I'm just a regular picture book to him (not necessarily an easy reader). He's not what I would consider particularly advanced either. I think he's just getting more comfortable with words and seeing certain words over and over. I'm excited b/c he's picking them out before I ever read the page, so I know he's not memorizing them.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

100 lessons is really all you need. It's very complete and easy to use.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
CharmedMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
100 lessons is really all you need. It's very complete and easy to use.
That is good to hear! Thank you! I have decided just to try that this year and see how he does with it. I already have that book, and it will save me from buying it. Plus, I have had SO many people tell me it worked wonderfully.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Claire O Meara
Registered Users

Hey there. Just stumbled across your post. My eldest girl used the "Start to Read program" it's good but a little limited in scope.
Claire O Meara is offline   Reply With Quote