Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: REALLY need suggestions....feel like I'm losing the homeschooling battle :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogerella View Post
Have you considered that your daughter might be a right brain learner? RB learners can be misdiagnosed as ADD or ADHD. If she is RB then curriculum choice becomes a challenge b/c most curriculum is designed for left brained learners. Which obviously doesn't work well for for the RBL. It's like putting gasoline in a diesel engine expecting it to work b/c it's fuel.

This is an article that gives some ideas as to RB characteristics.
http://suite101.com/article/right-br...eristics-a2607

I struggled with my daughter until I realized she was a RB learner (visual & kinesthetic). I then tailored curriculum and learning experiences toward her learning style and what a difference. Now my daughter is only 5, so it's obviously different. But once I tailored her education to her style it went from a challenge to excitement for both of us.

So, food for thought
I will definitely research this. She is definitely more of a kinesthetic learner, so maybe she is a RB learner. I never knew there was a difference

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

If she likes MUS, stick with it.

We use Apologia for science. We like the links in the book extras section of their website, and also supplement those with googled videos of whatever we are studying. My children like the experiments, but we don't do a lot of the writing/notebooking. I tend to fold all writing assignments into our grammar curriculum.

We use Shurley for grammar/language arts, but your daughter may find that boring. There are tons of other ways to learn grammar, including just doing a LOT of writing assignments. There is a grammar curriculum that uses color-coded blocks to classify parts of speech and build sentences. I can't remember the name of it, which is frustrating, because I think one of my daughters would do well with it.

We use Spelling Power for spelling, but you can simply fold that into your other work, focusing on the words she misspells.

We started using Tapestry of Grace this fall, and are really loving it. It covers most of the humanities, except language arts. There is a lot of reading, which can be done together or independently. There are hands-on activities for the lower grades, but I don't know why you couldn't do them with older students, too.

If your daughter is more kinesthetic, try doing more games, incorporating music into your day (and moving to that music), and switching your subjects frequently. Make sure she gets outside every day, and make sure she gets to be physically active as much as possible. You could also try having her sit on a yoga/balance ball instead on a chair and giving her "fidget toys" (check out Melinda Boring, she has a lot of ideas).
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
croark
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=dressagemom;15997979]If she likes MUS, stick with it.

We use Shurley for grammar/language arts, but your daughter may find that boring. There are tons of other ways to learn grammar, including just doing a LOT of writing assignments. There is a grammar curriculum that uses color-coded blocks to classify parts of speech and build sentences. I can't remember the name of it, which is frustrating, because I think one of my daughters would do well with it.

QUOTE]

Def agree about MUS. Don't change what works!

Could u be talking about Winston Grammar? Kinda sounds like what your explaining.
croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

my son who is 8 has autism & adhd. we do alot of youetube videos for him & games on subjects hes not really interested in. we also keep the lessions short & try to base most of them on intrest he is in at the time for sci. we also give him breaks during the day were he can go play for 1/2hr -1hr. then we go bk to r studies.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=croark;16005658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagemom View Post
If she likes MUS, stick with it.

QUOTE]

Def agree about MUS. Don't change what works!

Could u be talking about Winston Grammar? Kinda sounds like what your explaining.

No, it was not Winston Grammar. I really wish I could remember what it was called.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I suggest My Fathers World or konos with a more hands on history and science approach. All about spelling has manipulatives. And writing/language arts can be done more orally.

Last edited by thirdtimemomma; 12-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd look at KONOS. You can try doing a single unit study first and she how she likes that before buying a whole unit study curriculum.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

ok, so, I'm not the most "hands on" teacher, so I'm not a huge help to a kinesthetic learner, however, I do believe that is my son. He is very smart, and learns easily, but he is bored to death of reading history, or anything of length, unless it's a compelling story.

I say, stick with MUS if it's working, like everyone else said!

Science:
Apologia, the Jr. Notebooking journal has excellent activites/hands on busy work. As my son is completing these things, I read the text to him, and I try to make it as fun and interesting as I can. Little do I realize, he takes in a lot of info during that time, and not bored to tears! Also, the experiments are super fun (they sell lab kits, sectioned into labeled bags, doesn't get easier than that)

Writing:
Right now we're using Just Write. The program is fun. Drawing pictures, gives a lot of good info, easy to understand ways of writing. Only problem is, the highest book they have is book 3 which is considered 4th grade I believe. We love it, it's not a bunch of copywork or boring stories, it gets the child thinking about their favorite things, and helps them write about those things!

Phonics:
Explode the Code. Quick, easy, and has helped my son with spelling.

History:
Liberty's Kids TV Episodes? (free on you tube, all 40 of them). My son is also bored to tears with History books, so because he's so young, we're going with the Liberty's kids. We'll discuss/research further after watching an episode.

Grammar:
Unsure about this one, we're using First Language Lessons, and it's good, but somewhat annoying. My DS is doing very well with it, but he too finds it annoying. However, I haven't found anything to replace it yet!

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote