Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Help for very dry scalp

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this, so please feel free to move it if necessary.

My DD (10) has extremely dry skin on her scalp. She has always had issues with dry and sensitive skin, esp. in the winter. It doesn't matter how often she shampoos, or what kind of shampoo she uses, whether or not she uses conditioner. We got a treatment from the salon last year which seemed to help control the itchiness, but didn't really seem to affect the actual dry skin. I have tried massaging coconut oil into her scalp and leaving it overnight with very minimal effect, supplementing with flax and CLO, drinking more water, etc. I would really like to find something natural to help heal her skin. We have a good, not perfect diet. I also have some cocoa butter, shea butter, and jojoba oil, and would love to hear some input on if any of those could be helpful.

Thanks!

Advertisement

dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help for very dry scalp

What helps me is once a week putting some baking soda in my shampoo and massaging it in really well. Anothing thing would be an apple cider vinegar soak. Rub it into the scalp and let it sit for 30-60 minutes before rinsing it out.

I think some of it is the age. Autumn has a rough time with it, and that's about the age when mine got real bad, as well.

Another thing you might try is no-poo. I did it for a month and my scalp loved it. My hair, not so much, but hers might be fine with it.

Thought. I wonder if her pH is off. It just occured to me that both baking soda and apple cider vinegar are alkalizing. I know my pH is acidic and I struggle with dandruff. Don't know that they are connected, but it's a thought.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For me it was to stop using shampoo with sulfates. For 15 years I scratched my head until it bled my scalp was so dry. I decided to switch to Avalon organics and within a few days it was like a new scalp. I also found that I needed to shampoo less because I had restored a more natural balance. Now if I go to the salon for a cut and they wash my hair I will be itching later that day. The sulfates strip away causing almost an allergic reaction. I mostly now use berts bees shampoo and have been good for 5 years.
Many organic shampoos (Bert's bees, Avalon organics, California baby) do not have sulfates, i also believe l'oreal now makes one, and they're easy to find. Try that for a bottle and see if there is a difference.
I would also like to add that after stripping my hair about 1 year ago a protein rich shampoo was nice to my scalp.

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I too found no sulfates helped my scalp. It stops the itching and is healing it. I have sever psoriasis in my scalp and this was the only thing that helped. I found a shampoo in the ethnic section at Walmart that is gluten free too with Shea butter oil and olive oil. Amazing enough we all shampoo less now. You have to rinse it real good the first few times but it helps a lot! My hair even has begun to grow again thanks to it.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
What helps me is once a week putting some baking soda in my shampoo and massaging it in really well. Anothing thing would be an apple cider vinegar soak. Rub it into the scalp and let it sit for 30-60 minutes before rinsing it out.

I think some of it is the age. Autumn has a rough time with it, and that's about the age when mine got real bad, as well.

Another thing you might try is no-poo. I did it for a month and my scalp loved it. My hair, not so much, but hers might be fine with it.

Thought. I wonder if her pH is off. It just occured to me that both baking soda and apple cider vinegar are alkalizing. I know my pH is acidic and I struggle with dandruff. Don't know that they are connected, but it's a thought.
How do you use the ACV in a rinse? Do you have a bottle you put it in and squirt it all over your head? Not in the shower, right, before you get in?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
For me it was to stop using shampoo with sulfates. For 15 years I scratched my head until it bled my scalp was so dry. I decided to switch to Avalon organics and within a few days it was like a new scalp. I also found that I needed to shampoo less because I had restored a more natural balance. Now if I go to the salon for a cut and they wash my hair I will be itching later that day. The sulfates strip away causing almost an allergic reaction. I mostly now use berts bees shampoo and have been good for 5 years.
Many organic shampoos (Bert's bees, Avalon organics, California baby) do not have sulfates, i also believe l'oreal now makes one, and they're easy to find. Try that for a bottle and see if there is a difference.
I would also like to add that after stripping my hair about 1 year ago a protein rich shampoo was nice to my scalp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom View Post
I too found no sulfates helped my scalp. It stops the itching and is healing it. I have sever psoriasis in my scalp and this was the only thing that helped. I found a shampoo in the ethnic section at Walmart that is gluten free too with Shea butter oil and olive oil. Amazing enough we all shampoo less now. You have to rinse it real good the first few times but it helps a lot! My hair even has begun to grow again thanks to it.
I am going to have her switch shampoos. I am also going to have her try shampooing only every other time she showers (she showers about every other day, so she would only shampoo about twice per week).

Mac & Cheeses mom: would you mind sharing the brand of shampoo you are using? I think that sounds like a good option.

I am also considering, but haven't worked out the details, having her try using shea butter as a moisturizer. I don't really know how that would work, maybe if I combined it with almond oil, massaged it into her scalp, and let it set for a few hours.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

For ACV rinse, yes, I put it in a squirt bottle of some sort. I don't always for Autumn's head because I can control it, but for my own, I do.

Tea tree oil is also a big help. Autumn and I both use TTO shampoo as our main shampoo.

Water hardness plays a role for me, but I don't know that you could do anything about that.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote