Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breaking swaddle/sleep training 9 month old

My DD2 was 9 months yesterday. She is rolling around so much in her crib, that she gets out of swaddles or rolls onto her tummy with her arms still swaddled and so on... Not so great.

She wakes at night, sometimes 0 times, sometimes 3 times FOR FEEDS. I know there are some people that say that's fine, but we aren't happy with that, because she doesn't NEED the feed, she just doesn't know how to settle without it, so we want to find a method to help her do that.

Our pediatrician basically said to let her CIO and was pretty surprised that we were feeding her at night.

We are currently trying the pick up/put down method. I read that at 8 months+ you are supposed to just talk/place them back into position, rather than picking them up to soothe them, unless they are really upset. I'm kind of worried it's just stimulating her more.

Since we are trying to break the swaddle habit also, it's pretty tough. That is her cue to go to sleep. She has white noise all night.

Any recommendations on breaking the swaddle and sleep training methods that are gentle, but can be pretty effective for older babies? We did CIO with DD1 and it was horrible and I still feel awful for letting her cry

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We broke the Swaddle at 9 months with a sleep sack. Was the same idea, but different great since its winter now and it's more effective than a blanket.

There is a 9 month sleep regression. Usually associated with learning to crawl or walk. So, that could account for some night wakings.

I would just get up, comfort and leave. You could try bottles of water to appease her. I'd also probably wean the feedings down gradually. So, allow the first one, but then give water or something for the next.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breaking swaddle/sleep training 9 month old

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
We broke the Swaddle at 9 months with a sleep sack. Was the same idea, but different great since its winter now and it's more effective than a blanket.

There is a 9 month sleep regression. Usually associated with learning to crawl or walk. So, that could account for some night wakings.

I would just get up, comfort and leave. You could try bottles of water to appease her. I'd also probably wean the feedings down gradually. So, allow the first one, but then give water or something for the next.
Arms-out sleep sack? I've been thinking about getting some, then wondered if a transitional swaddle (like a convertible woombie) would be a better idea. She just rolls and grabs and throws her pacifier around... DD1 stopped using her pacifier (of her own accord) at around 6 months, so it was easier to wean of swaddling with her! DD2 is also a very 'hyperactive' baby, she is so alert and wants to be involved in everything that she lays her head down, then pops it back up and starts crawling around again.

Her night wakings haven't changed at all, so I don't think she's having issues like that, but you never know! Something to bear in mind certainly, thanks!

Thing is, she cries immediately after we walk away. As soon as she knows we're leaving... It's hard to differentiate between her ACTUAL cries and her 'fake' plain old whiny ones... I'm never sure WHEN to respond.

That's a good idea for the night feeds, I was considering cutting them back from 5oz to 4oz and so on, but maybe watering them down is another option...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We went with arms out because by then I would Swaddle her and she'd break her arms out and be okay. But she needed the feeling of the Swaddle to go down.

If you're not sure about the cries, you could give her a couple minutes to see. But you don't have to give too long where you're feeling like you're doing CIO. Maybe like 2 minutes. But that's probably not long enough to do anything.

Can you try patting her back until she just falls asleep? Some moms have said that lightly rubbing the bridge of the nose puts their kiddo to sleep. Doesn't work on mine, but I have tried
Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

How are her daytime naps? Does she also need a lot of soothing/handling? If so, I would start the training in the day. For me it was a lot easier to do it during the day, at night I just had no ability to do anything other than go to my LO.

I'd start with putting her down for a nap and let her fuss for 1 min before going in. If you need to set a timer, do it. Then move up to longer periods of time before going in to soothe (2 min, 3 min, etc.). The idea is that self-soothing is a learned behavior and she has to be given some opportunity to learn to do it.

In terms of what to do to get her to calm down, I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. Maybe not picking up LO works for some, my LO never was soothed by a back rub. I would pick her up, a little cuddle, rock what ever and put her back in her crib and that worked for us. I also wouldn't put her in her crib until she was just about to fall asleep on her own.

We started swaddling with a blanket, but leaving the arms out.

Keep trying different things until you work out a solution. There are tons of books and different philosophies (probably because not one thing works for ALL babies). Don't be afraid to try any one thing and don't get stuck into don't ever do this, or you must do this type of solutions.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How do you know she doesn't NEED the nutrition at night. It is very normal for a 9 month old to NEED to eat at night. Especially because they have growth spurts the first year pretty frequently. She will sleep when she is developmentally ready to sleep without eating. Gosh, I'm 33 and I still need to eat sometimes in the middle of the night. They are growing so much the first 2 yrs they need the nutrition for brain development!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
How are her daytime naps? Does she also need a lot of soothing/handling? If so, I would start the training in the day. For me it was a lot easier to do it during the day, at night I just had no ability to do anything other than go to my LO.

I'd start with putting her down for a nap and let her fuss for 1 min before going in. If you need to set a timer, do it. Then move up to longer periods of time before going in to soothe (2 min, 3 min, etc.). The idea is that self-soothing is a learned behavior and she has to be given some opportunity to learn to do it.

In terms of what to do to get her to calm down, I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. Maybe not picking up LO works for some, my LO never was soothed by a back rub. I would pick her up, a little cuddle, rock what ever and put her back in her crib and that worked for us. I also wouldn't put her in her crib until she was just about to fall asleep on her own.

We started swaddling with a blanket, but leaving the arms out.

Keep trying different things until you work out a solution. There are tons of books and different philosophies (probably because not one thing works for ALL babies). Don't be afraid to try any one thing and don't get stuck into don't ever do this, or you must do this type of solutions.
During the day I wrap her up and put her down and she might fuss for a couple of minutes (never really crying) and then goes to sleep and sleeps through for 2-3 hours. I rarely have issues with her during the day.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsmama View Post
How do you know she doesn't NEED the nutrition at night. It is very normal for a 9 month old to NEED to eat at night. Especially because they have growth spurts the first year pretty frequently. She will sleep when she is developmentally ready to sleep without eating. Gosh, I'm 33 and I still need to eat sometimes in the middle of the night. They are growing so much the first 2 yrs they need the nutrition for brain development!
Because she eats a ton during the day. If it was a once in a while thing, like waking up a couple of times a night for a week, then I'd say sure...growth spurt... This is just soothing and we like to follow our pediatrician's recommendations for feeding schedules (for the most part (both my kids have fallen into that schedule of their own accord..during the day at least) which is cluster feeding before bed and no feeds until 6am earliest) so we want to find an alternative soothing method/teach her to settle herself at night.

DH sometimes gives her a feed and if she doesn't settle, gives her another feed just a few minutes later... She can't possibly be THAT hungry, she's just looking for something to settle her and feeding her is the easiest thing to do.

Last edited by ExpatMama1990; 11-02-2012 at 12:01 PM.
ExpatMama1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

It may be so that she does NEED to eat or something else. Even if pediatrician and books say she doesn't. I know it is tough to get up at night but it lasts only so long

Did you try to swaddle your daughter leaving one arm free?

ETA: I think, for right-handed babies your leave left arm free. But you can try both ways and see what works.

Last edited by olstep; 11-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVeryBest View Post
It may be so that she does NEED to eat or something else. Even if pediatrician and books say she doesn't. I know it is tough to get up at night but it lasts only so long

Did you try to swaddle your daughter with one hand only, leaving other hand free?
She did the same as my first daughter and stopped waking for night feeds for a few weeks, then started this. It's just turned into a habit. Like I said in my previous post, there are just things that make it appear to ME that she does not actually need the nutrients. And like I said earlier on, our pediatrician just wants us to let her CIO, which I am against, so I don't idolize our ped like some parents, we just like how his recommended feeding schedule works (both kids fell straight into it, without prompting, then this started) and want to figure out how to help DD2 fall asleep without loading her up on bottle after bottle of formula.

Yeah, she breaks out almost immediately. She also grabs at her pacifier, then can't get at it, starts rolling around etc... Basically it's either swaddle her totally and hope she doesn't move around too much, or leave her completely out and she doesn't settle. Any half way points lead to the latter...