Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
It took us about an hour to do our 2 streets. I had thought it would take less and that we'd go elsewhere if we wanted, but the 2 streets were enough.

DD is 2. She had a blast and probably could have gone longer. But we would have had to drive a bit or pull out the stroller to get to more houses and I felt an hour was sufficient.

SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
No Longer Here
My Mood:
We were out from 6:20 to 7:45. With 11 kids. But only 8 were trick or treating. 2 were babies and one big kid. .
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When do you "End" trick or treating?

We went to the end of the culdesac and back...about 2 blocks total. It was plenty. After the first house, our almost 3yo said "let's go back to our house". He had fun, but didn't feel like he needed to keep going...probably because we don't give them candy as a rule, so they don't know what they're getting excited about lol

I think next year will rock tho...almost 6, almost 4, 2.5 and a baby
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Registered Users
We made it about an hour with 2.5yo DS and 16mo DS in the wagon, but we agreed, we should have ended earlier. You definitely picked the right time imo.

We called it when DS1 decided his bucket was too heavy to carry between houses and started putting it in the wagon.
Kelly "Ann" (25) .... wife to Michael (8/30/09) ... SAHM to Miles (1/20/2010) and Perrin (6/22/2011!)
We are a CD / BF / ERF / BW home, full of nerdism and love
SkyeSpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Registered Users

Last year we only had my then 4 and 2 year old and after 20 minutes they were done and wanted to come home. This year we had all 4 kids and they lasted 30 minutes at the mall and then 1 hour at the fall harvest festival of playing games and doing a cake walk.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

That seems completely reasonable to me. If the kids are done, why keep at it?

My almost 3 year old would go for hours if he could, so we started late (~7:00) and did one block. He went to maybe 25-30 houses and by the time we came around to our street, most houses were dark. At one point he didnt want to carry his bucket anymore so we said that meant it was time to go home. Of course, he then had nonproblem carrying it! He got PLENTY of candy, way more than we would allow him to eat on his own, so it's good to have a natural stopping point rather than us saying that's enough. Plus, starting later meant more walking with less payout, which is perfect for us.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

We were kinda all about it this year. I have a 6yo and 2yo. We got dressed up at story time around 1:30; left the library at 3:45 and tot'ed at the kiddos grandparents house in that town. We got home, changed into new costumes as a whole family, left around 5:30, visited neighbors then went to the town where my hubby works. We tot'ed there until 7:30, then visited more neighbors. All in all we were out about 3.5 to 4 hours plus we'd gone with the cousins las Saturday. I don't know what we'll do with all the treats, maybe donate them or do some sort of exchange thing, but the kids were having a blast. We were all singing songs, both boys were remembering to say thank you and it was just overall great until they fell asleep this evening around 10.
Last year we went around with a larger group after both boys were done. We just carried them and didn't ask for or accept any more treats, daddy and I just said "happy Halloween". We got to be social and have fun and the kids were totally fine with it.
Lisa, Wife to Kenny, Mommy to Miah and Z.
Handcrafted Toys and Nursing Necklaces.
percussionsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Registered Users
That sounds plenty long.

We basically go until we've fulfilled our "obligations.". We live in a very small town, so we hit all the houses of the people that expect us to come, which is only about 10 houses. We were home by 8pm. We get tons of candy though because there are only 20 kids in town. We also go trick or treating to the local businesses (all three of them) during school. Yesterday we went trick or treating at the local gold mine...they picked up the kids in vans and took us up the mountain to their offices. Between those three things, we got over 10 lbs of candy...I think I'm going to end up eating most of it since its mostly the good stuff.
wife to John (8/5/00) mom to D (7), A (4.5), and N (2)

Last edited by rverrone11; 10-31-2012 at 11:52 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #19
Registered Users

When the kiddos seem done. We go to the mall (our boys are 4 and 2 this year) and we walk around and trick or treat until they feel done. The kids mostly like the commotion going on, so we go till they seem tired. My 2 year-old was nearly dragging his bucket after 45 minutes so we headed for the car.
Nicole; spunky, sassy mama to my two little wild ones: Logan (9-08) and Liam (11-10) and Grayson (12-12)
I blog about the hilarity that comes along with raising my boys!
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #20
Registered Users
My Mood:

We went a little over an hour but there was quite a distance between houses with lights on and the kids were all doing good even the 2 year old who wanted to be held but loved going house to house and hopped down when we got to a house. I didn't even go trick or treating when my oldest was 2 so 30 minutes is plenty

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 11-01-2012 at 01:16 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote