Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive Cupcake
Some of the kids were being carried and the parents kept leading on. That's what I found very odd. If she can't walk she doesn't need more candy, right?!!
That is our rule. We brought a wagon and when the kids wanted a ride that meant they were done and we went home. We did a 2 streets and 2 houses on our street, it made a big circle and took about an hour. The kids were my nieces age d6 and 4 and my daughter who will be 3 in December. The baby was with us too but she just rode in the ring sling.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor

Must depend on the area. I grew up in this area, and now own a house in it, and around here it's common knowledge that if you are handing out candy, you turn on your light. It's been like that since I was a kid. I guess if your light doesn't work then you sit outside or put a sign up or something if you want ToT'ers.

I wasn't trying to be rude or argumentative, just saying that here and most places I've heard of, if the light is off, you don't let your kids go up and knock.
Yes it is basically the signal. I was annoyed last night as a few houses had the light on and no one was home. We moved to the suburbs so it is a big trek up to the front door and the kids are just sitting and waiting for someone to answer. I thought it was very rude.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mil told me that Gigi had a small bucket and that when her bucket was full she decided that was enough. My daughter is pretty practical that way.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #34
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: When do you "End" trick or treating?

this was my 2 yr old's 1st time and we went to about 15 or so houses up a few cul de sacs in my old neighborhood (nicer houses than my current one, lol) and we there for about 90 min.....he wanted to do more as it took him a while to warm up to it, but I know he also wanted to do the hayride at church, so we made him leave.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #35
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Must depend on the area. I grew up in this area, and now own a house in it, and around here it's common knowledge that if you are handing out candy, you turn on your light. It's been like that since I was a kid. I guess if your light doesn't work then you sit outside or put a sign up or something if you want ToT'ers.

I wasn't trying to be rude or argumentative, just saying that here and most places I've heard of, if the light is off, you don't let your kids go up and knock.
It is true here as well. I open the front door so the light shines from my house through the storm door. I think it interferes with the decorations a little less but still allows TOTers to know that we are participating, if all of the decorations didn't give it away.

When the boys were tiny they didn't go out for very long or would come back, unload some candy and go back out. When Tharen was a baby and we lived with my parents I would go out with dh or we would go out on TOT dates with friends and their kids as well and we stayed out for 1-2 hours depending on how the kids did (toddlers can get pretty cranky) and how the weather was. Some years it is super hot and some years it is cold, you never know what you will get. Now that we own our own home I stay in and hand out candy while dh takes the boys out alone, some years he does better than others. We've had the Kearnan has a full on melt down years, and then the Tharen refuses to walk years, but they usually make it at least around our neighborhood. This year they were out from just before 6-8:30 in our neighborhood and then went to visit my parents and old neighbors and dropped in on MIL and FIL. They walked the entire time, no wagon now that they are almost 7 and 11 years old. I am quite impressed. I'm actually pretty shocked that Tharen didn't melt in his fleece costume as it wasn't particularly cold out but they seemed to have a good time. I remember TOTing for 3hours as a kid and we were still getting a few stragglers at 10pm though not many. Surprisingly our last visitors of the night were a couple of cute little fairy princesses who couldn't have been over 7 years old. We don't mind being up late on Halloween and I don't turn the light off until I have the boys ready for bed.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
It is true here as well. I open the front door so the light shines from my house through the storm door. I think it interferes with the decorations a little less but still allows TOTers to know that we are participating, if all of the decorations didn't give it away.
we also don't go to any houses without the front door open. Even if the light is on and the porch is decorated... I assume if the front door is closed (everyone here has a screen door) that they're out trick or treating and shut down for awhile.

I wouldn't let my child knock on doors without lights on. Or an open door.. unless, I suppose, there were no screen doors.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #37
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Usually we do the "L" shape block we live on- up one side and down the other. This year was a bit different. We walked 20 min. (Not far just short legs ) to the high school for trunk or treat. Then we walked home stopping at 2-3 houses that had lights on (it wasn't even 5:30 so most people weren't ready yet.) Then stopped at home for dinner and went out after 6 only doing our part of the "L". MDS (7) and ODS (14) stayed home and gave out candy from the back of our van (our light is motion activated) while the little 2 and mdd went with us. ODD went with a friend and stayed out longer. When we got home, MDS and MDD (9) handed out candy and ODS sat outside to keep an eye in them for me.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We are out for 30-45minutes, not very long but the kids don't mind and still have fun.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #39
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I let DD knock on any door that looked like they were participating - IE obvious that people were home, front light on, decorations up and on if they light up, etc. If the door is closed, the outside lights off, and there's no decorations I assume they don't want to be disturbed, so I don't let DD ToT there.

As for how long, I let her dictate. We normally go up around the block just north of us, so once we're done that we're 3 doors down from our house. If she's done then we go home, if not, we cross to the other side of the street and go down to the first cross street, cross back over and trick or treat up to our house. That's as much as she's ever done and that takes about an hour. This year because it was very cold and rainy she was done about 3/4 of the way around the block, so I just pushed her (really not hard) to finish the block and then we went home.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #40
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our town doesn't do door-to-door, they close down the downtown area and all of the businesses (and couple houses there) give candy. That started at 4pm. We were in line waiting for it to start at 3:45pm and we were back in our house at 4:30 with two giant bags of candy.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote