Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #41
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: When do you "End" trick or treating?

we went for about an hour with our 3 yr old (the 5 month old was in the carrier, and sleeping most of the time. she doesn't care about candy. people gave it to her anyways, but that's mommy's candy she'll get it through the breastmilk.) he was totally having fun and raring to go. we only planned on going to the end of our street and back, but he was having such a good time that we just kept going and went for another street. by the time the hour was up, he still had a fair amount of energy, and i think would have kept going, but his bucket was almost full, and he kept wavering between wanting to keep T or Ting or going back to our house so he could hand out candy to the other kids. tough choice. but we decided to call it while we were ahead, and he was more than happy to go home.

i think you just kind of have to evaluate the kid and how much fun they're having and how tired they're getting. no point pushing them until they're miserable and whining. then it all ends on a bad note. last year, ds was 2, and we literally went to like 5 houses before he was d.o.n.e. when he sat down in the middle of the sidewalk and started dumping his candy out of the bucket to eat it, i decided we'd had enough

Advertisement

Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #42
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've gradually upped the ToT time every year.

- DD's first Halloween, she was only 6 months old so we didn't ToT.
- Second Halloween, we only did houses of people we know in our neighborhood. Maybe out 30 minutes total?
- Third Halloween, took DD to a few more houses than the previous year.
- Fourth Halloween, did all of our very short street, the short street behind us, and the street that connects the two.
- This year, did this entire section of our neighborhood. She was out for about an hour.

Trust me, we have plenty of candy. And DH and DD were getting hungry for supper (it was about 7 pm by then), so they came on home.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When someone has to pee. This year it was a little more than an hour.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #44
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We didn't take DS his first year because he was only 7 months old, or last year because Halloween was DD's due date. This year we were out for about 2 hours, towards the end DS wanted to be carried between houses, but we kept going for a little longer because he was still having a blast finding houses with a light on and knocking on doors. DD was also having a great time throughout.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #45
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversive Cupcake View Post
Some of the kids were being carried and the parents kept leading on. That's what I found very odd. If she can't walk she doesn't need more candy, right?!!
Love that.
My older son first went to ToT when he was 3yo. The younger was 2yo but I let him go only because he is his older brother tail.
He said "done" after 30 min walk around the block.
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #46
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
We did an hour this year (DS1 is almost 17m). I would've done longer, but we hit all the houses on 3 blocks and that was all that was available in that area. (We do a specific spot at the town square every year, part of an event). But, it was because he was LOVING it. It was his first Halloween walking, he thought everyone's costume was hilarious and he was all about it. He was upset when we left, even.

If they're done or you're done, go home. Who cares? I had to carry DS1 the first half block (we're having shoe aversion issues and it took a bit to get him to want to walk in them), and every time there was a line at a house (he doesn't get "waiting" yet). But I didn't mind. If either of us weren't digging it, it would've been over.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy

Yes it is basically the signal. I was annoyed last night as a few houses had the light on and no one was home. We moved to the suburbs so it is a big trek up to the front door and the kids are just sitting and waiting for someone to answer. I thought it was very rude.
Some like to be able to see when they get home and drag in kids after dark. It sucks, but lights have an actual purpose. I despise the light = candy rule for this reason.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #48
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

Some like to be able to see when they get home and drag in kids after dark. It sucks, but lights have an actual purpose. I despise the light = candy rule for this reason.

I totally get that any other day of the year. Could they just turn it off for Halloween and bring a flashlight that day?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #49
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy

I totally get that any other day of the year. Could they just turn it off for Halloween and bring a flashlight that day?
I used my headlights on the car, but it was a PIA. If I would've had to have one hand free for that while lugging my dead weight asleep toddler inside, I think my arm would've fallen off LOL. And then there are those that just don't care, too.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #50
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
We go around our block and that's it. DD is 5. She was the one that actually asked to go home. We use the pumpkin buckets from Target, and when hers is about 3/4 full, she is usually ready to quit. The buckets get kinda heavy for a little kid to carry, and she isn't about to let me carry it! We did about 30 from about 6-6:30ish. DS goes to bed at 7 since he gets up at the crack of dawn for preschool, and DD needed to practice violin, so the first time she said "I'm kinda tired." I was all over heading for home. It was cold here!
my ds just turned 5, and thats how i knew we were done too, lol. we hit about 4 blocks, but there were only 3 or 4 houses on each block, so not that many... we were done in 30-45 minutes.

he was also hot, it was in the mid 80's i think, and he said the muscles on his power ranger costume "sweated him".... when he started taking it off, we were done, lol.

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote