Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Elecare Questions

We recently got on a new insurance and also found out DD did best with alimentum ready to feed after dealing with other formulas and breastfeeding. She had essentially stopped eating. She would eat enough to curb hunger, but not more. This wa swhen she was combo feeding and had started refusing me. I upped the nutramigen, but then she was having bad silent reflux flares. Dd is nearly 6 months.

Anyway, i went to the ped to get the alimentum rtf civered by insurance and after listening to our long feeding history said it was warrented. However the insurance doesnt cover that form. So based on the history and my multiple food allergies (soy, dairy, peanuts, eggwhites, and gluten) she decided to prescribe elecare because it was covered.

I am a bit nervous about the change because i am afraid new issues will pop up or something like that. She does have mild eczema on her face and a really obvious patch on one arm by her elbow (no idea what caused that one) , it went away for a bit with the formula change, but has come back. She is gassy at times. She still wont eat more than 4 ounces at once and in fact usually only eats 3 or less in frequent feeds form. We also are finding fruit seems to really aggravate her silent reflux, but all foods seem to cause really minor flairs at times.

So, anyone use this and how is it working? We do have a ped gi appoinment tomorrow for the first time so im hoping for zantac for the silent reflux.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Elecare Questions

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh goodness, I hope she's not allergic to rice. I just started it on her rice cereal and I'm still not sure if it was her crying and fussing in the car seat that caused a reflux flair or if she has a problem with it. She seemed fine with green beans.

I'll definitely talk to the GI about all of this.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, we do homemade most of the time. The green beans were by Happy Baby Organic Company and semed very pure, but i will make it next time. I did buy Earths Best rice cereal, but i will make it next time as well, they seem like a good company, but not very allergy aware.

I hope its not allergies too. I know people say thicker formula is better, but she was horrible on thicker formula. I guess we will find out iver time.

Last edited by blueone; 11-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Elecare was our miracle too. We have no idea what is actually the issue but his skin cleared up, the itching stopped (a big deal when your 5 mo is wearing mitts all the time still), and best of all he went from failure to thrive to the 25th %.

He is continuing on Elecare even after he turns 1 in 2 weeks. I am too scared to stop it & his docs agree.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks. I will know on Monday if they approve it. The insurance requires that soy formula be tried before a special formula, but she was doing so bad at the time that we went straight to hypoallergenic. Even then she didn't do that great. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

I could have written your post. It sounds exactly like my now 13 month old. I hope you don't mind, but I'll tell you our story. It helped me, when we were dealing with it, to read what other had gone through. It gave me hope, I guess...a light at the end of the tunnel.

My little guy had terrible silent reflux and would refuse to eat. He started out great, but by 2 months, would only nurse for 5 minutes at a time. He would pull off and scream. He cried constantly. I cut out dairy very early (by the time he was 2 weeks old) because it made him worse. At 2 months, he was a whole 8 lbs. He was 7.5 at birth. At that point, he was put on Zantac and we started supplementing with Nutramigen (mixed to a higher calorie content). He started gaining a bit. We quickly switched from Zantac to Prevacid and that did help with the constant crying. We didn't do any thickened formula or cereals (and we skipped baby cereals all together for that matter, as they are basically so processed they are just empty calories/sugar). Anyway, by 3 months, he was completely refusing to breastfeed and went to all Nutramigen. He was off the chart from 2 months up until 9 months (he would get up to the 2nd percentile every so often and drop off again).

At 5 months, we took him in because he had had diarrhea for 2 weeks and for such a tiny guy, that is not good. We had talked to his doctor before hand and she wanted to check a stool sample, which ended up having blood in it and showing signs of inflammation. We switched to Neocate (which is like Elecare) at that point. The diarrhea was gone by the end of the day! He started gaining better, though still slowly, but that seems to be the norm for him. At 7 months, we figured out that he also has celiac. Once we made sure he was 100% gluten free, his head-to-toe rash (that he had from 2 weeks on) went away and he got better and better. At 9 months, we discontinued the Prevacid slowly and he did great! He still stays around the 3rd percentile for weight (and 60th-70th for height), but he is healthy now and has really filled out lately!

We did do a dairy trial (milk) at a year old, as per his doctor's instructions. 2 oz. (no more) daily for a week. He seemed fine the first day and was fussier than usual the second day (spit up a little once). By the third day he was a mess...refluxy, really fussy/crying a lot, restless, spitting up (not large amounts, but several times). Oh and he also had diarrhea again. We hope he'll outgrow it eventually, but who knows.

For now, he's still on Neocate and will be until he is at least 18 months, maybe even 2 years. He is a "normal" weight, but after all the issues we've had, I like for him to have the extra nutrition. I'm sure your little girl will do great with Elecare! I do agree with pulling all foods for now and just starting with the Elecare to get a "baseline". Once she's on just the Elecare for a couple weeks, I would introduce 1 single ingredient food each week (and feed that food daily) and see how she does. She's young enough that it would be fairly easy. An older baby is much harder to keep solids away from, lol! Good luck to you...I hope you get it all worked out soon!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for that post, it is so similar to what we are dealing with for DD. She has mucous in her stool again, but I'm not sure if it was the green beans we tried a couple days ago or new from the formula. She did not do well with green beans and started pooping semi liquidy mucousy poop and refluxing badly. The poop slowed down and is getting thicker, but still has mucous. I really hope the over look the fact that we didn't try soy and approve the formula.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

UPDATE: They approved the prescription so now we are waiting for the formula to be delivered! I'm so relieved.