Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
4boys4me
Registered Users

Do you all just ever want to give up CDing?

I have been CDing for about 4 months now. I have my stash established and actually one of my 2 ds's is in the midst of PLing so he only wears a CD at night time now(in which he has had absolutly no accidents at night, but it is just in case he does). I am tired of the smelly amonia smell in the diapers.. I am tired of swishing and dunking and flushing; I am tired of a smelly washing machine. My water bill went up almost $50.00 in the past 3 months from running more water in the wash with the "recommended" cold prewash, hot wash and 2 cold rinses. I am tired of the leaks and the clothes changes almost daily when my ds gets up from his naps. I am tired of stripping diapers all the time. Maybe it is the detergent I am using (all free and clear)? I don't know? I have gone through gallons of vinigar and hot water (even boiling water on the stove)... I am tired of washing till I see no more bubbles too.

So, all in all, this is really getting to be a pain in the behind! I even stooped as low as adding some bleach the other day and now today they all smell again...

I am soooo aggravated and ready to just be done. I am starting schooling soon and with 6 people in the family and all the laundry I do anyway... this is just not adding up to be worth it anymore. I am so just having one of those days...

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you all just ever want to give up CDing?

I can honestly say I have not wanted to quit once. But I havent had the problems you or others have had. I started out with a free and clear detergent and realized it didnt work for us. I went straight to sportswash and have stuck with that till just the last week when I switched to the sams club stuff. Now that Sophia eats solids her poo rolls right off so I dont have to dunk/flush. So I also stopped doing the cold prerinse. I just do the hot wash and then one cold rinse afterwards. Sorry you are having such trouble.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
4boys4me
Registered Users

Thanks..

Jesse does eat solids as well but his poo is always smashed in there and up his back, etc... I think he is a super soaker as well and 1 cotton babies is not working for him either.. He leaks out the top and the legs and the insert is soaked and heavy.. This is just after a nap. I change him often and well with in the 3hr. time slot that seems to be the usual, etc.. I just can't buy any more things or whatever.. this is just getting on my nerves more and more...
Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

All F&C is rumored to cause build-up, so the problem could all just be your detergent.

But if you don't enjoy it and are beginning to resent it, use sposies for a little while - if you miss your cloth, go back to it. If not, sell it. Personally, I never have "I want to quit" days, but that's because our system works really well and we have no build up or stink issues. I've only ever used Bi-O-Kleen on my dipes, I do a cold pre-wash, then a long hot wash/cold rinse cycle and that's it. I also use mostly hemp - microfiber doesn't seem to be enough for Isabel, but hemp (and sherpa, sometimes) works great.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I've wanted to quit before! I almost have over night before.
I haven't quit completely though, I like using cloth and love using it during the day. Over night, I'm torn with the convenience of 'sposies because I hate the pee smell in the morning when I use cloth.
We're still plugging away though.
GL with whatever you decide.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Termie
Registered Users
seller

I second that it is/could be your detergent. It seems like a lot of mamas who are having stink/build up issues are using All F&C. Grab a non F&C, cheap one and have a go at it. Sun, Surf, WindFresh (Sam's), or a more expensive one like Allen's or Sportwash/Sensiclean. If you grab a Sun and it does diddley bubkis on the stink after a couple of hot washes, chuck it! You'll only have wasted $2-$3.

Good luck in your decision though, I imagine at that point you are ready to have a big bon fire.
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you have been having a lot of trouble.

Do you have a top loader or a front loader? For a top loader I don't think I'd do so many extra rinses. Also, don't strip unless you are having a problem, like with the smell.

For the smell I would try Sportwash or even just plain old Dawn. I use the antibacterial kind cause I'm a nut, but my diapers always come out smelling clean if I used it, and it washes out very clean with few rinses. Just don't use too much. Also, try soaking overnight in Borax. Borax will adhere to any detergent left in the fibers and pull it out, but you need to soak overnight. Some people also swear by baking soda in the wash and then vinegar in the rinse and nothing else. Baking soda is abrasive, so it will scrub the diapers, and vinegar is an acid so it will kill all the yuckies.

I think the leaking has to do with the build-up from your detergent. But what kind of diapers are you using? Some are more absorbant that others. Like for my son Rumpsters just weren't cutting it so I sold them off. He does really well in Little Rain Dancers though.

It sounds very frustrating. If we can get the detergent hting figured out you probably won't have to wash and rinse so much, and the leaking and stink would go away.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
4boys4me
Registered Users

Well, I don't strip all the time,lol.. that is not fun. I have only done it and only do it when necessary,lol.. I do use a bit of Dawn as well. I can not use baking soda because that just causes build up for me. I only use a tbls. and have tried it a few times and it just makes things smelly and worse.. The vinigar will work for that wash but other than that they are back to needing washed again.. I have a top loader. A lot of the leaks are from the top of the diaper and out the legs ( I use wonderoos mostly) so I know they fit him right... most of the time the insert is soaked so I know I must have a super soaker on my hands,lol.. but there are times when it is barely wet but his sheets and his clothes are soaked... There are just a lot of variences about what happens with them,lol.. I could give you 20 different explinations on all the different situations.. I feel that a majority of my time is being devoted to living, breathing and washing diapers,lol...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
mom2cassie
Registered Users

I wanted to reiterate the detergent being the source. Also, I wanted to recommend Charlie's Soap -- it's the cost of a regular detergent, but works as well, if not better than SensiClean/Sportwash or Allen's. BTW, Charlie's isn't actually a Soap... it's a detergent. The name is just an homage to it's heritage.

You can get it on their website -- www.charliesoap.com. And the nice thing is that they include shipping in their cost. The gallon jug works out to about 15 cents a load. It is WONDERFUL. I've actually switched over all of my laundry to it now.

And, to make you feel better, YES, I did want to quit several times when we were having issues w/ rash b/c of buildup. I didn't b/c of all the money I had invested in the diapers. And I'm glad now that I didn't. We've finally worked through our wash issues, and it's no longer as frustrating.

Oh, and btw, just to give you a heads up if you try charlie's. The first time you wash, you'll probably have to run a bunch of extra rinses. It's REALLY good at getting off the buildup of other diapers, so the first time I used it, I had suds galore. But by the end, I finally had diapers that smelled like nothing! And after that first time, it was fine.

HTH!

Lea
Mom to Cassie (11.2.04)
mom2cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you're having a rough time. More

I agree, I'd switch detergent. If you have hard water skip the b/s & vinegar, that makes it worse. Roos do leak on some people so make sure you have plenty of insert in there. If you're getting leaks without the insert being soaked I'd guess the s/c is repelling. Make sure the s/c is down around the waist. If it's up the insert will be right there and get the waistband area wet. If ds is a super soaker a CB insert isn't enough. If you want to stick with m/t try buying some cheap m/t towels to add to the CB insert.

If you decide to stick with cloth I HIGHLY recommend getting a mini shower (or have dh make one for cheap). It is a great investment. I use it on lots of things, not just dipes. Plus I don't need a pre-rinse in the washer.

I've had my share of problems, but want ds in cloth. I know it's best for his bum and sposies gross me out.

I hope you figure out what works for you!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote