Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #101
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Oh, I looked and the flashlight is a coleman max.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #102
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah didn't you make a bitty pen out of an old box spring for them??
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #103
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, but my broody is being broke in it. Dang hormonal thing, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #104
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Hey sarah when do you first candle your eggs? I knew I wouldn't be able to see much today , but I did it out of sheer curiosity. I can't see thru Lacy's at all but I'm pretty sure all I see on Carmen's is the yolk. It's a dark orange spot about the size of a nickel.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #105
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

24 hrs you start to see the yolk, 48 hrs it will appear even more visable, day 3 sometimes you can see either some dark spec or the start of a spider (venious system). I may have the exact days wrong but it's pretty close. Normally with my dark eggs I can see something by day 4-5. I can only see the more formed yolks now. When you first put them in you really can't see the yolk. Am I on day 2.5? I'm gonna candle them again befor ebed. I like to know of any to set aside to watch more carefully. If you see any red ring around the yolk, it's the #1 sign of bacteria growth. I've actually been watching 3 and tossed 2 tonight. I thought I saw movement in the 3rd so I'll give that one more attention and time. I can not deal with another explodeing egg! Thank the good Lord it was in my hand and not the bator. Also, watch for ones that get a dark blob that floats to the eggs shell where you can see it well, normally a dead lo. Then, there are some that start to get very foddy and when you turn the eggs the yolk/growth area will kinda slosh. It shouldn't do that. It's normally a dead one. There are exceptions. I have 1 in there with the ring still growing, no idea if it will die? I also have had some look sloshy, just to see legs wiggle. I take 2 out at a time with small groups, more for bigger, and check movement, air cell, and growth. I set ones that need more attention to the side and put them all back. i know the next day only to candle the ones I'm worried about.

I know, don't handle them too much, I'm just terrified of the rotten explosion!

Did you get your new light??!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #106
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, at one point, forget theday but around 1/4-1/2 way to day 21 half of the egg will be dark, from top to bottom, later you will need to candle from the bottom where the air cell is to see movement. HTH. I found some day by day pic albums when I searched bing pics. From schools and such.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #107
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Ok well that sounds more promising. They're a little more than 48 hrs now also. What I see is a orange translucent dot that sloooooowwly slides up to the top of the egg when I turn it in my hand. Nothing dark or black and I looked to see if there was a ring around it and there wasn't. I think one is a clear but I'm going to give it till day 5 or 6 to be sure. I don't know how I'm going to figure out lacys, lol. I used dh's LED light to candle.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #108
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Thanks everyone.

I may have seen some of you on another chick thread. But I got them some meal worms at Wally World tonight. About to head in and give them a treat.

I can sit forever and just watch these babies, yes I have them on a table so I can see them easily. They are in the garage.

It must be in my blood to care for chickens. Just makes me so happy!

I am also going to reset and splint my gimpy's foot tonight, not looking forward to that. I have had to isolate him again, he is just so much smaller and getting hurt. So I turned a basket upside down on top of him and it is protecting him, he has lil food and water dishes in the space. I started him on antibiotics yesterday. Praying for healing, I know he has the will to live. :-)

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #109
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Um, there is no way I can reset his leg. It is broken at the, I guess it's the knee. Before, it has been flexible, but not today. We had it splinted for first few days. But took it off to do some irrigation the last few days. Now the lower part of his right foot just below the knee is sticking up and out to the right and it is stiff. His toes are still working fine. Swelling at the break at the knee, little black still, but much much better and less swelling than before.

The wound is looking a lot better since we have been doing the irrigation, he is on antibiotics. He is a week and two days old, arrived in the mail from hatchery with compound fracture at the knee.

I don't know what do to for him now. He is eating and drinking, but only using the one good leg and hopping around.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-09-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #110
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Michelle, can you take a pic of the leg at the front eye level showing the extent of the legs span? Are the hocks getting raw from trying to move or is it walking on just the one leg ok? A break can be set and heal, but with a wound where the bandageing will go, that's not a good combo. You deff don't wanna remove the bandage for wound care, but you can't not do wound care, kwim. that's a hard one. Could you also get a pic of the wound? If it heald pooprly when he get's older he will have trouble walking. It will have to be splinted well soon. split popcycple sticks in half if their too big, wrap them in gauze so they won't rub raw, bandage the leg and hold splint on, wrap with strips of that stretchy medical/sport tape. Make sure not too tight. It would notmally need to be checked in like 4 days or more, but with a wound, I'm thinking daily. Are you giving yogurt or probiotics yet? That's a super idea. The bandage will need to stay dry, and non-sticking. Is it colseing up yet or just looking better and healing. It's not in a lot of pain is it? The one I just had break, it had been 24 hrs that way and the way the knee was snapped, it was stuck straight out to the side. There was no way to set that without either breaking it further, or causing trauma and severe pain. It was already in too much pain.