Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #121
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Yea, that's what my lo's looked like. Except it went strsight out to the side and was so stiff I was not gonna attempt to straighten it to splint. Mine would have prob had pain forever. I don't know what to tell ya hun. I can say the gas chamber method is awfull! You use a butter tub with a cup of baking soda in it, then add the vinegar and close tightly. I left one in for 20-30 mins and it was gasping and i had to just act quick. I used to pop the neck real quick but something bad happened and I'm still traumatised. Never again. I won't say what I do now. Too visual. I think what Liz's dh does is prob fastest.
I'm so sorry sweetie!

On a better tone, the chicks are out in thei pay area. I hung the feeders so it should not happen again. I took the bins out and scrubbed it all too. I guess I just felt so bad i needed to do something extra special for the little buds. Made another wire top for the bin too. Now they can see out better. The feeders I have are the long trouph kind with the lid that has the little head holes. I just don't know what happened. They had to have just gotten really spooked and started flying off the walls. They either bonked walls too hard or ran on the feeder and a leg got in a hole and sap. I have no other idea.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #122
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Unhappy Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Oh my goodness, def not for the faint of heart! Will look into all options before taking any permanent measure. Thanks so much ya'll.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #123
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Chicklet update, all three of carmens eggs have a little "spider" in them Lacy's are just too dark to be sure. I see a yolk shadow and can't make out veining. Hopefully by day 6 I'll be able to tell more so I don't have any exploding eggs. I'm a little worried about one of hers, it's a long skinny egg and has a big yolk. I'm worried the baby's going to get too big and be unable to hatch. Guess only time will tell.

This isn't my eggs, but a good visual of what I see on top of the yolk.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #124
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was gonna ask Liz, how the heck you get your cam to take good dark shots. Mine refuses! Booo.

Congrats! Mine finally started showing the spider, lol. I can see a dang think in the dark eggs now. Only one has any light show through now.

Don't worry about the long egg. I have a cpl in the bator to try and find who's it is. hey are developing very well. Now to see if they hatch though. I have a day or 2 left.

I have 2 eggs due to hatch today, both have piped!

OHGosh, I caught a rock on the nest this am. Now to go see if it's her who has been laying this tiny egg, lol. It's the same exact color as the cochins, uhoh. I will never be able to tell the diff for hatching purpouses. I asked on a genetics board of fb and was told to do food color with a pipett. Come spring, that's what I will do. I need to see if that splash is laying. I still have never seen her in a nest. She is my fav color and she has that frizzle back and bum. LOVE her! She's the one that follows me through the garden waiting for worms, lol.

My pride and job mottled cochin, think it's a cockeral? No comb though. Just look at those legg feathers!
Also is the bantam mix. And the buckeyeX. Look at the wild colors. They are so beautifull! The eggs show the little one I believe to be the br's. And lastly, play day.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #125
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Always something with these chicks isn't it? After we got home from the wedding, we got 5 eggs!! But when we went to close them in for the night, there was a pile of egg white and yolk, like no shells and no membrane
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #126
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, great turnout Becky! Don't worry too much about the no shell if it's a one time thing. Just check often to make sure it was a one time thing. I'm no expert, that's just what I would do.

The dang dog got left out and nocked the fence over. Chased one of. I was on the couch and heard a peep and went running! Looked for the chick for over an hour. Gave up and started setting up the new pen location, ramed pvc pip in the corner regions for more support. I went to get water and heard a peep from the pots under the carport. The kitty had found it and was checking it out. I was hoping the pen would draw it back in. Yay!!!

Now, Ray said I can't sell the stinkin buckeyes. Apparently he decided they were his again. Dork, jk.

Look how purdy and big the girls have gotten. I'm so tickled!!!

Oh, babies are starting to turn and unzip!!!!!!! yayayayayay!

And a better pic of the buckeye cross. They look like a rir so the mix would look simular with a rir Moma.

Anyone know why my blue is turning golden brown? Like the feathers are really worn out and dulling. Could she be a slow moulter?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #127
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have much time, but was lurking on the ouchie chick legs and I had a thought? I don't know, but I thought I remembered seeing on backyard chickens some threads with ouchie chick legs, and it was due to a nutritional imbalance? I'm not sure, but I wanted to throw it out there. I hope they feel better soon!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #128
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Love all the pics today. Not much time to write, mom got a canary last week and is borrowing a cage from us. We are going to a flea market to find one for her.

DH said for dd and I not to come home with anything alive, lol.

FYI, our 10 day old lil broken leg chick (calling her forest gump) is doing well today. She's behind on development, but her crest is just starting to show, she's a buff lace polish. I am falling in love with her. Guess we will just have a one legged chicken.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #129
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great thought about nutrition. I don't think that's what happened with my 2 though. They eat an organic chick starter. They are also getting veggie tidbits. Very healthy little buggers. They get spooked easily. I hear them flip out a cpl time sa day. I'm pretty sure that's what happened. This is the only brand we have ever used and just love it. Not loveing the price with corn $$ on the rise though. I'd feed something elese, but then I would seriously worry about what you were saying, the nutrients. Excelent thought!

Michelle, how wonderfull the chick is doing better!!!! I'm so glad to hear it. Did the joint ever loosen up enough to splint? That way at least she could have a kind of peg leg. When our dog broke her leg, we started calling her peg leg Meg. Her name is Meg, short for Meagan. Sorry, just made me thing of that. I really am happy to hear it's better! Ray wants a Polish or Silkie so badly. I know we would need 2 because they would be picked on though. I may have to give him a promise note a Christmas, lol. Hatch some for him! Oh hey Michelle, will you have fertile polish eggs? If not, do you know anyone? Does anyone know someone?

Well, the chickies did well in their playground today! They grow like darn weeds! Kinda sad, like watching your children grow up too fast.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #130
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah the girls look so great, I love your roo he's so regal. All the babies are sure getting pretty! I think you're going to have to wait and see what happens with the feathering. I'm betting some of your rescue girls have never had a "real" moult due to lack of nutrition so you may be seeing their true color as they grow new feathers in? The splash is just gorgeous! Love your baby's feathered feet too, sure takes after his daddy!

AFM, busy busy weekend. Had the boy's b-day parties today. Had a bit of trouble with my incubator this am, the temps went a little wonky for a bit. ambient temp and probe temp have a 2 degree gap and I can't seem to dial it in. Only thing that has changed is that the eggs have begun to develop. Thinking of adding another heat sink to see if it helps. I know I shouldn't, but I candled the eggs again tonight. For sure, 2 of Carmens are doing well, one even wiggled around when I was watching it! Looks like we may have 1 early quitter, Lacy's I still can't see anything but a yolk shadow. Shell is too dark to see veining. I see a potential problem in one of hers, egg #4. Half the shell is dark and when I was looking really closely it seems to be a twin egg. Probably won't make it.

Good news though, I got 11 eggs today!! SO I only have 3 more I'm waiting on.

Becky, woohoo! The splat egg is a newbie layer. They do that at first. Congrats on some good egg production! Has the fighting settled down?

Glad to hear your gimpy chick is doing good Michelle.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote