Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #131
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Sarah the girls look so great, I love your roo he's so regal. All the babies are sure getting pretty! I think you're going to have to wait and see what happens with the feathering. I'm betting some of your rescue girls have never had a "real" moult due to lack of nutrition so you may be seeing their true color as they grow new feathers in? The splash is just gorgeous! Love your baby's feathered feet too, sure takes after his daddy!

AFM, busy busy weekend. Had the boy's b-day parties today. Had a bit of trouble with my incubator this am, the temps went a little wonky for a bit. ambient temp and probe temp have a 2 degree gap and I can't seem to dial it in. Only thing that has changed is that the eggs have begun to develop. Thinking of adding another heat sink to see if it helps. I know I shouldn't, but I candled the eggs again tonight. For sure, 2 of Carmens are doing well, one even wiggled around when I was watching it! Looks like we may have 1 early quitter, Lacy's I still can't see anything but a yolk shadow. Shell is too dark to see veining. I see a potential problem in one of hers, egg #4. Half the shell is dark and when I was looking really closely it seems to be a twin egg. Probably won't make it.

Good news though, I got 11 eggs today!! SO I only have 3 more I'm waiting on.

Becky, woohoo! The splat egg is a newbie layer. They do that at first. Congrats on some good egg production! Has the fighting settled down?

Glad to hear your gimpy chick is doing good Michelle.
At first? Who on earth would just now be laying? Our pullet is for sure, our RIR are almost 40 weeks old, and the wyndottes are over 2!!!!!

Advertisement

Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #132
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Didn't one just start 2-3wks ago? Mine did it intermittently for almost a month.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #133
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Didn't one just start 2-3wks ago? Mine did it intermittently for almost a month.
Nope they all have been going now for about 4 weeks give or take. But maybe it's the wyndottes starting to lay here again :shrugs:
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #134
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah the girls look so great, I love your roo he's so regal. All the babies are sure getting pretty! I think you're going to have to wait and see what happens with the feathering. I'm betting some of your rescue girls have never had a "real" moult due to lack of nutrition so you may be seeing their true color as they grow new feathers in? The splash is just gorgeous! Love your baby's feathered feet too, sure takes after his daddy!
Thanks! I think he is just the most handsome man! He rund like a jogging ostrage, haha. The chick does look just like him. I NEVER knew they had soooo many leg feathers so soon. It amazes me.
I do hope they have a real moult soon. They are so raggedy.
AFM, busy busy weekend. Had the boy's b-day parties today. Had a bit of trouble with my incubator this am, the temps went a little wonky for a bit. ambient temp and probe temp have a 2 degree gap and I can't seem to dial it in. Only thing that has changed is that the eggs have begun to develop. Thinking of adding another heat sink to see if it helps. I know I shouldn't, but I candled the eggs again tonight. For sure, 2 of Carmens are doing well, one even wiggled around when I was watching it! Looks like we may have 1 early quitter, Lacy's I still can't see anything but a yolk shadow. Shell is too dark to see veining. I see a potential problem in one of hers, egg #4. Half the shell is dark and when I was looking really closely it seems to be a twin egg. Probably won't make it.
to the lo's! Sorry about the temp issues. I took my other thermomiters out. I was only getting more and more ticked. They ranged from 1-3 deg diff. errrrr. Don't worry about that half dark egg. That was one of the things I was trying to explain. They will all do this. Draw a immaginary line from tip to tip and it will be dark one one side, half the egg. Mine are at that growth stage now. I can't see a thing in my dark ones from the cpl days before. I converted the storebought bator into a hatcher and the other is the bator. This way I can keep up with diff temps and humidity and also protect other eggs from ickies. With diff batches that is.
Good news though, I got 11 eggs today!! SO I only have 3 more I'm waiting on.
Awsome!

AFM-severe winds and bad rain since yest afternoon. Everything is blown across the yard and flipped over.

Well, both eggs hatched. They were both long and skinny. Turns out they were cochin, who knew, lol. One has a really bad herniated umbilicus. I didn't think it would make it through the night. it's finally holding it's head up now and moving around some. Poor fella! The belly dried up and looks like dried meat, must be thin skin there? It's smaller than it was though. I'm gonna go get some antibiotic ointment and a swatch of qauze. See if it will protect that tummy. Don't want any infection.

Guess what though, ONE IS BLUE!!!! I have got to be getting all these blues from that blue girl I have. I didn't think she was doing much laying. I still havn't seem the splash in there. I did find out a blk and blk can only have a blk. So it's not one of their eggs.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #135
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is the pic. I posted for help on byc for a possible prognosis.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #136
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Just hiccups Becky, don't stress about it if it's not happening consistently.

Sarah I don't know enough about it, but I think that comes from them hatching too quickly? He/she should be ok. One of my original EE's had a bellybutton like that and they're all fine and dandy, running around in the coop raising cain as I type.

I think your blues come from your splash because she'd be the carrier for the blue gene. I hope you get more blue and splashes! I can't wait to see how your flock turns out.

The one egg I think is a double yolk you can see what looks like two yolks and a line (light space) between them. They seem to be fused at one end like they share a membrane. I don't think it's going to develop. J and I were talking last night about maybe taking it out and just letting them pass away now rather than letting them go all the way up to hatch day and either die the day before hatch or die on the way out. It just isn't a good scenario all the way around. It's a small egg, so it's not even like they have any extra room to move around. If they do hatch, it's unlikely they will be big enough or strong enough to even survive the first day. I would have never put that egg in if I suspected it was a double but it just looks normal-sized. I did take egg #2 out, the quitter. Actually, it was a clear. I thought I saw a spot of growth in it but it was a dark deposit on the egg shell. Wasn't fertile. So I have 5 left in the bator, 2 of carmen's are developing nicely. I could see their little hearts beating thru the shell last night! and 3 of Lacy's, the one that is a possible twin and the two others that I can't see development thru b/c of the shell.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #137
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Just hiccups Becky, don't stress about it if it's not happening consistently.

Sarah I don't know enough about it, but I think that comes from them hatching too quickly? He/she should be ok. One of my original EE's had a bellybutton like that and they're all fine and dandy, running around in the coop raising cain as I type.
Good to hear. It seems normal now otherwise. It's retracting nicely and drying more.
I think your blues come from your splash because she'd be the carrier for the blue gene. I hope you get more blue and splashes! I can't wait to see how your flock turns out.
Here's the stats on the genetics of the hens:
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Black x Black = 100% Black
black with blue ,you will /should get 50% blue and 50% black
The fb sites have been just awsome. If you ever need the links, lmk. I won't be able to get a real splash untill I get a blue roo. That why I had hopes of a blue, lol. I only have a 50% chance of frizzle though. I can get mottled. The older chick I have with all the pics, lol, is I'm pretty positive a mottled.

The one egg I think is a double yolk you can see what looks like two yolks and a line (light space) between them. They seem to be fused at one end like they share a membrane. I don't think it's going to develop. J and I were talking last night about maybe taking it out and just letting them pass away now rather than letting them go all the way up to hatch day and either die the day before hatch or die on the way out. It just isn't a good scenario all the way around. It's a small egg, so it's not even like they have any extra room to move around. If they do hatch, it's unlikely they will be big enough or strong enough to even survive the first day. I would have never put that egg in if I suspected it was a double but it just looks normal-sized. I did take egg #2 out, the quitter. Actually, it was a clear. I thought I saw a spot of growth in it but it was a dark deposit on the egg shell. Wasn't fertile. So I have 5 left in the bator, 2 of carmen's are developing nicely. I could see their little hearts beating thru the shell last night! and 3 of Lacy's, the one that is a possible twin and the two others that I can't see development thru b/c of the shell.
Aaaa, hard decision. I can pic what you mean now. They are hard to handle, but it can be done. If I had just waited a bit longer mine would have been fine. They just weren't done absorbing. Prob 12 more hrs. Next time I would wait till exactly 21 days to the hr and only pip so they could breath. Then go from there. They often die because of suffocation. Only one air sac.

So glad to hear they are developing well! I love to sneak a peak and candle, lol. It's just amazeing. I have to try hard to stick to candeling on specific stages though. Just to check for failure. Keep an eye out for bloodspots. They won't develop any further. The ee eggs are impossible, lol. I could only tell development by part of the egg being translucent and half not. I'm so worried about a splat!

We still have that nasty weather. I turned the lights back on so the girls could dry off and get warm. I'm just gonna leave it on. They are just dripping wet. Out playing in the rain. WORMS!!!!!

My big littles are in a foul mood not being able to go out and play.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #138
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ours play out in the rain all the time, guess there is no truth to the saying.... Madder than a ole wet hen
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #139
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know right Becky, lol.

I just had to lock them in the coop. It's 40 deg out there, high winds, and those wacky girls are so sopping wet I can see the skin. I'm so worried they are gonna freeze. I make a huge hot pot of oats and dogfood. Hope the protein will help them warm up. They don't wanna get up in the warmth of the actual coop though. They are all in the run, wanting to go out. Ugh. I should have taken the cam out! They look like drowned rats!

I really am worried though. It's supposed to be in the 20's tonight. Please say a little prayer for them. So worried!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #140
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Hope your girls all dry out Sarah! Mine are crazy and like to hang out in the rain as well. Silly things. I wonder how they're going to deal with the foot or two of snow the farmer's almanac says we will be getting in a few weeks!

I did the chicken calculator based on my EE's coloring to get an idea what the babies will look like. I know with EE's they can hide a lot of things but after dreaming that I got a silver baby last night... I tried it and if my birds don't have any hidden colors they're carrying it looks like suprisingly.. the pairing btwn fred and Lacy the white/columbian ee will yield buff or red/blue combos like Fred's sister Greta! or.. incomplete buff/red columbian type. Whodathunkit? But the real kicker... the pairing of Fred and Carmen the black patterned EE hen should yield.... blue, black and probably some mottled versions of those two! LOL! Maybe I will see that silver fluff baby after all! These next 2 weeks can't come quick enough, I'm ready to hear some sweet peeping from that box on my table.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-12-2012 at 03:44 PM.