Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #171
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Oh Sarah! You are killing me over here with the cuteness! Oh and I am totally hitting you up for hatching eggs next year, I want a blue cochin!

Advertisement

Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #172
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hah, I miss them when they grow so fast. Within weeks they are little teens, lol. I'd be happy to send you some hun. HOPE to have a mating male at that time. I think my hen that keeps giving me the blues is older? I'm not sure. I have only had one blue make it. I had one hatch with this batch, PERFECT baby! Perfect. I must have failed at day 20. (((((( The other turned out to be a mottles, then that one super cutie passed at like 24 hrs?, the one I have left doesn't have the goot true to cochin look. Not good feathering on the middle toe, stance, ect. It may grow into it. It's a sweetie. A keeper regardless. I'm pretty sure it's a hen, I need a cockeral to get a higher rate of blues. I don't want to chance hatching eggs from older hens because of fail. It's sad. I also have a girl in Australia tradeing me next spring and I just can't be ok it giving her eggs that may give her a higer fail rate. She has buff cochins!!! I'd love a cpl. I adore the buffs. So lovely. I think I'm slowly gonna get to where I wanted to be to start with, lol. That is breed wise. I like the friendlier chickens, kwim. We do have to have a good dual purpose though as we really have to have them for food. I am happy I had such a good hatch rate this batch. This was all cochin eggs. I only lost the blue out of this batch. I'm having trouble keeping up with who's who's eggs and who's fail, ect. So many are having identical eggs. I posted this issue on a genetics fb site and a breeder told me to get food coloring up to a week before collecting eggs. Take a pipette and insert some. Then I can collect the correct eggs. If I'm gonna be trading, I have to do the best I can. I sound silly right, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #173
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

sweet babes! I love how the last one is a little fluff ball. LOL Love the look of the cochins but the feather footed gals just don't do well out here in our intense dry heat. Food coloring, now that is a great idea! I wasn't sure how I was going to get you an egg from my wyandotte gals without totally stalking them. Now I know! I swear I can't tell most of the brown eggs apart anymore! I'm getting excited to see our chicks. The eggs are pretty dark now, they are growing fast and their air cell looks great. Connor and dh watched as I candled one today and we could see the little baby swimming around in there.

Daisy is hanging in there. She ate so well yesterday that we tried giving her another spoonful of food last night and while I was sitting on the chair knitting she threw it up and slipped or got vertigo.. or something. It was awful to see her collapse. I got to her about the same time she finally got her feet back under her and went and laid down. We've decided to put her down next week end. She's not in horrible pain but we both agree she's not happy in life anymore.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #174
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry Liz. At least the pain hasnt gotten out of controll. I took poor Kora in before most would have. She would wake up screaming and even wouldn't let me touch her to calm her so i'd just lay beside her. A tumor popped up beside the anus and I knew it was time. Ya know, only those times at night was she visually in pain. I kew there was a huge problem when i lanced the tumor and it was muscle, yes I numbed it and knew what I was doing. It was a sign of later stage cancer. She was showing signs of having issues passing stool. I couldn't let it go further. I would have done anything for one day with her. I just couldn't be selfish. I did it for her. Thanks the Awsome Heavenly Father I did it when I didn. The euth didn't take becaus ethe cancer had ravished her insides and lungs. Not allowing the meds to infuce properly. Because it was such a bad case, the vet let me have the room alone with her for quite some time. They told be before to say my goodbyes before because they only had 2 rooms. The vet was also forced to watch her thrash and gasp for almost the full 5 mins and even she was in tears and shocked. Of course she let us have the room as long as possible.

Like another Moma said, it takes a kind heart to let an animal go and prevent suffering. Liz.

On a little happier note, Cayden won the chicken chick contest, he got a chicken book and a dog one. He is gonna be extactic!

Ray took Meg potty before he came to bed at 3 am and spooked the dang ferril cat. It was hunting again. So nothing in the trap yet.

So the huge question, is anyone elese signing up for the byc hatchalong? Gonna have to explain this one, hehe. I'll just do a few.

Now I just need to get some pipetts to do the food coloring, lol. Hope Tink is laying well by then because she is awsome quality!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #175
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Liz, so sorry for Daisy-poor girl, happy belated birthday also!

Sarah beautiful chickys! And congrats to Cayden.

Fodie I'm drooling over those EE, we just love ours. They are gorgeous beings, have a wild look about them. I will say that I love their markings and hawk like faces and necks and everyone I have/had is slower to start laying but once they do they're very reliable.

We got 10 eggs today!!! I did rehome our roo Sparky, he lives w my mom now, however I had to send our Delaware Whinie and our EE Lynnann aka the escape artist! Our salmon favarelles are laying but not pink/cream eggs as expected;(

Plus I'm checking out some books for our spring peep order. I'm not as brave as Liz and Sarah!

Chloe
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #176
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chloe, if you want to play around and make your own bator, Liz and I just did our and could totally help. I messed that wireing up every way but correct first, so I'l ALWAYS remember the quick and easy way, lol. I would have been done in half the time if I had just found easier directions. Just luk if you do decide to. I'm sure we could all come up with plenty of eggs for you too!

So what breeds are you looking for? I love window shopping, well, magazine.

Did you Mom need the hens or were they so make him more comfy?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #177
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi ladies! Mind if I join in?

I am a first-time chicken owner as of yesterday. Brought home six French Black Copper Marans, about 2-3 weeks old. They are living in a home-made brooder in the basement right now.

I will probably have a lot of questions, as I am completely new to this. And absolutely PETRIFIED of raising chicks in winter!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #178
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bekki, I have found this time of year to be better for me. They will be ready to lay/consume come spring, I have way more time with them, something inside for the kids to enjoy, many reasions. I'm getting a jump start on spring, lol.

Chat away anytime! We're here for ANY question.

So, I have an issue. One or more of the grumpy batch that just went into the chick grow out coop/run is feather picking. I have NO clue who it could be. It's not a room issue or a food issue. Do the peepers fit lo's of this size? They are only 8-9 weeks. I just didn't think they would fit?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #179
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ugh Sarah I haven't had that issue with any of our many lot of peeps, they getting enough protein? Just a thought, I've never used the blinders so I'm no help there

It was kind of a bribe for my mom LOL!!! Hey I'll give u two daily layers if u take my mean roo! Now the boys can go in our pen again.

I'm looking at a few different ones, my DH wants sultans or something with a feathered head! Not me though, I'd love to try some welsummer, lavender orpingtons( but after all of our health issues w our buffs I'm nervous) marans would be great but I've read they're very flighty, same w a leghorn was thinking of those also, I'd be really happy with our tried and true.....a ton of americaunas as well as speckled Sussex, u just can't beat them for friendliness and personality! The catalog didnt have any olive eggers either. Those are the only ones I can remember currently. I also thought of trying the specials they have, like mystery chicks and the colored egg special. I'm gonna def pay more this x for hens only, so sick of dealing w Roos!!!

And no offense but currently I have no desire to hatch any eggs! Maybe in a few years-how do u gals get the x. I wonder if u could let a broody hen sit? That's what I do w my peeps, works great and a lot less work! LOL

Oh and Sarah can u please post step by step how u do your hard boiled eggs w fresh eggs? I can never peel them!

Thanks,
Chloe
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #180
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post
Ugh Sarah I haven't had that issue with any of our many lot of peeps, they getting enough protein? Just a thought, I've never used the blinders so I'm no help there
Found some game bird size and ordered 5 tonight. I know they are getting enough protein. They get such a huge variety of food. I also give a little cat food for fun for them with it being cold. Extra protein helps with heat production. This is my first issue with it. It seems to be a cpl of them. I sat and watched this afternoon and there are around 3 that have all their feathers. These are the worst persionality chickens I have ever seen.
It was kind of a bribe for my mom LOL!!! Hey I'll give u two daily layers if u take my mean roo! Now the boys can go in our pen again.
haha, tried that with fil and it didn't work.
I'm looking at a few different ones, my DH wants sultans or something with a feathered head! Not me though, I'd love to try some welsummer, lavender orpingtons( but after all of our health issues w our buffs I'm nervous) marans would be great but I've read they're very flighty, same w a leghorn was thinking of those also, I'd be really happy with our tried and true.....a ton of americaunas as well as speckled Sussex, u just can't beat them for friendliness and personality! The catalog didnt have any olive eggers either. Those are the only ones I can remember currently. I also thought of trying the specials they have, like mystery chicks and the colored egg special. I'm gonna def pay more this x for hens only, so sick of dealing w Roos!!!
Great choices. I'd love a top hat or two, but not sure how they would fit in. Need to do more research.
And no offense but currently I have no desire to hatch any eggs! Maybe in a few years-how do u gals get the x. I wonder if u could let a broody hen sit? That's what I do w my peeps, works great and a lot less work! LOL
That's why I'm doin so may meaters this time of year. The ones I'll keep will be ready to lay by spring and the others ready to eat, a cpl to sell. The bator is no time at all. I have the huge totes and raise the feeder and water with age so no biggie. I try to keep the # per brooder down so they don't get icky. I clean them well on clean out day though. Toss them in the driveway and spreay them out with the hose. Done. really not much work. We do more holding of the ones we plan to keep. I don't plan to get to attatched to the meat chicks. I do love them all though.
Oh and Sarah can u please post step by step how u do your hard boiled eggs w fresh eggs? I can never peel them!
You need something acidic in the water, vinegar or lemon juice. Just a splash-prevents the egg from leaking through the hole. Bring to boil and pop a thumbtac hole in the end of the fat side of the egg, where the air cell is. Boil as usual, rinse, toss in a bowl of ice water. The shell comes off almost in one piece. The boys help now it's so darn easy!
Thanks,
Chloe