Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #181
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! We love hard boiled eggs but i wasted half of it peeling them! Hmm what's up w your baby's then? Are the ones they're picking different in any way?

Yes I'm super bummed about my buff orpingtons, one passed away and the other still is sickly. Sometime I wish she would pass because she just doesn't seem rt? I've done everything I think I can for her. I dunno I wonder sometimes if its the hatchery like a bad batch? Not sure what the proper term is but I just don't know if that's true for the breed?

I've also raised our other peeps in brooders but it was truly amazing to watch one of my girls mother them that way. I just loved seeing it! She did a great job to!

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #182
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh post if u find anything out about the "top hats" I just read that u need at least two and they may not be great layers?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #183
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Sarah I had some issues around that same age, and no the regular size blinders don't fit until 12+ weeks for standard hens IME. I couldn't find the little ones, please share where you got them! If they're roos and pecking I'd cull them now. Not worth them damaging the young hens or make it a flock wide problem to grow them out. Which is what my experience was. One started, three more joined in. I just took the blinders off my last 2 wearing them today. Seems like after they begin to lay they stop doing it. At least in my flock.

My only concern with having babies this time of the year is the lack of free range time they will get until they feather out. I'm hoping it won't cause any behavioral problems or transitioning problems. I'd love to have one or two of these! I have also heard they are 2 egg a week type hens but I just think they're pretty to look at.

Sorry about your buffs, I haven't heard of them being anything but robust so I would think that yes, it was inbreeding and poor genetics. If you regularly have sitting hens I would order some hatching eggs from a Orpington dedicated breeder. Lots of them on backyardchickens.com . Seems like there's a ton of interest in the "lavender" orps. I also have two hens that seem to be poor quality, my RIR's. One has a curled toe which is a birth defect from inbreeding and the other just doesn't look 100% well all the time. She's had some strange issues with laying and doesn't tolerate heat at all during summer. I think there may be a liver issue or something internal I can't see.

Happy mamax4 , you and I have the same flock favorites. My easter eggers and the speckled sussex gals will always be the core of my flock. Sweet and funny, good layers and they're not big eaters. I love how Greta my EE and Hazel the SS will come up and chat with me while I collect eggs or work in the coop.

The reason I did the incubator is that all my girls are under a year old but I did specifically choose one gal for broodiness. I have a red partridge rock who is in a good place in the pecking order and motherly enough to do the job when the time comes. I also would like to sell some chicks in the spring because EE's are hard to get at our one local feed store. Last year they didn't have any. They are the perfect breed for this area, so it's a shame they aren't more available.

ETA: EEK! 8 days until hatch day! I haven't even thought about gee... maybe I should get a brooder set up. All egglets are moving around. Can see beaks and little feet kicking now, so cool! Hoping all 5 make it.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-19-2012 at 01:55 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #184
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post
Thanks! We love hard boiled eggs but i wasted half of it peeling them! Hmm what's up w your baby's then? Are the ones they're picking different in any way?
Yea, the bullies seem to be specific ones. Prob from dang meanie Elly May!
Yes I'm super bummed about my buff orpingtons, one passed away and the other still is sickly. Sometime I wish she would pass because she just doesn't seem rt? I've done everything I think I can for her. I dunno I wonder sometimes if its the hatchery like a bad batch? Not sure what the proper term is but I just don't know if that's true for the breed?
I think it may have been a bad genetic thing. I have an online friend that lives a cpl towns over and she will only own buff orps. Never an issue. I want to get 1 or 2 pullet chicks from her next spring.
I've also raised our other peeps in brooders but it was truly amazing to watch one of my girls mother them that way. I just loved seeing it! She did a great job to!
We have to save for a nice brooder coop/run. My coop would be impossible for them to get into. I also have those mean buckeyes. Ray won't come off of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah I had some issues around that same age, and no the regular size blinders don't fit until 12+ weeks for standard hens IME. I couldn't find the little ones, please share where you got them! If they're roos and pecking I'd cull them now. Not worth them damaging the young hens or make it a flock wide problem to grow them out. Which is what my experience was. One started, three more joined in. I just took the blinders off my last 2 wearing them today. Seems like after they begin to lay they stop doing it. At least in my flock.
I think it's just their grouchy persionality. I've complained since they hatched that the mixed ones were mostly mean. The cochins get the worst of it. They are so sweet and gentile, bigger though. Ha. I found some, I'll get ya the links. Now I just need some big ones to put on my mean gals just before integrateing.
My only concern with having babies this time of the year is the lack of free range time they will get until they feather out. I'm hoping it won't cause any behavioral problems or transitioning problems. I'd love to have one or two of these! I have also heard they are 2 egg a week type hens but I just think they're pretty to look at.
Could you toss together something like I did. I had $0 in in because we had all the supplies and I upcycled?

What a lovely!
Sorry about your buffs, I haven't heard of them being anything but robust so I would think that yes, it was inbreeding and poor genetics. If you regularly have sitting hens I would order some hatching eggs from a Orpington dedicated breeder. Lots of them on backyardchickens.com . Seems like there's a ton of interest in the "lavender" orps. I also have two hens that seem to be poor quality, my RIR's. One has a curled toe which is a birth defect from inbreeding and the other just doesn't look 100% well all the time. She's had some strange issues with laying and doesn't tolerate heat at all during summer. I think there may be a liver issue or something internal I can't see.

Happy mamax4 , you and I have the same flock favorites. My easter eggers and the speckled sussex gals will always be the core of my flock. Sweet and funny, good layers and they're not big eaters. I love how Greta my EE and Hazel the SS will come up and chat with me while I collect eggs or work in the coop.

The reason I did the incubator is that all my girls are under a year old but I did specifically choose one gal for broodiness. I have a red partridge rock who is in a good place in the pecking order and motherly enough to do the job when the time comes. I also would like to sell some chicks in the spring because EE's are hard to get at our one local feed store. Last year they didn't have any. They are the perfect breed for this area, so it's a shame they aren't more available.
I think I'm gonna set up at the fleamarket and leave them in my van with the hatch up, sit at the back and put up a sign. At least people would have a healthy chicken option there. The sellers are awefull.
ETA: EEK! 8 days until hatch day! I haven't even thought about gee... maybe I should get a brooder set up. All egglets are moving around. Can see beaks and little feet kicking now, so cool! Hoping all 5 make it.
I know!!!! I'm ready! I can finally see a lit into the dark eggs at the bottom by the air sac.

So, is anyone entering the bcy nye hatchalong? The set date is dec 10 at noon. TONS of prizes. Super small batches welcome. I think I may sell those. I'm getting so excited! Some super awsome prises!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #185
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found many like this:
http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers

But sadly because of $ atm, I bought these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130601687997...84.m1423.l2649

I figured I can deal with the pin while it's ashort temp thing. They grow so fast anyhow I need to find some cheap big girl ones. Any links?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #186
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found many like this:
http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers

But sadly because of $ atm, I bought these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130601687997...84.m1423.l2649

I figured I can deal with the pin while it's ashort temp thing. They grow so fast anyhow I need to find some cheap big girl ones. Any links?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #187
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I can't remember where I bought mine, but I believe they are all made by the same company. They're pretty cheap on ebay for a few but as many as you have now I'd consider getting them in bulk. http://www.eggcartons.com/Home-Page/Pinless-Peepers

I just can't recommend using the pinned ones. It actually pierces the membrane in the nose. As thin and tender as a baby's is, it could do some serious damage if they got it caught on something.

No hatch along for me. I need to survive this one first! More later in the spring if all goes well. I'm hoping by then I'll have a couple new EE layers to add to the diversity of the flock as well. SHHH!!! I would really like to keep one or two females from this hatch. We go thru so many eggs, way more than we ever did before owning chickens but they are just so good and I bake a lot more because of it too.

Watch, now having said that they'll all be roos.

Sarah are we going to have to do an intervention on you?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #188
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

You need something acidic in the water, vinegar or lemon juice. Just a splash-prevents the egg from leaking through the hole. Bring to boil and pop a thumbtac hole in the end of the fat side of the egg, where the air cell is. Boil as usual, rinse, toss in a bowl of ice water. The shell comes off almost in one piece. The boys help now it's so darn easy!

Sarah!! You are a rockstar. I am so trying this. We love hardboiled eggs, but NEVER do we get them anymore because I couldn't get the hang of doing it so the fresh eggs would peel. My neighbour always buys an extra dozen from us every two or three weeks, just to hold onto to hard boil. Thank you!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #189
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well, that day has come. We'll be saying goodbye to our pup tonight. If you don't want to read further I don't blame you. Don't want to bum everyone out.

Hidden:
I called the vet to ask what it's going to cost and made an appt for Friday for Daisy and then called dh. He called me back a few minutes later sobbing and said he just couldn't go the whole week with that being on the back of his mind. So I changed it to tonight. Its horribly sad and surreal. I gave her a bath, I don't know why it mattes but I wanted her to be clean. I've prepared a box with some fleece and her collar and leash and her chewed up monster toy. It feels so wrong to think of putting her in a box. I know this is the right thing to do but my heart is breaking. She's barely taken a bite of food today. She's sleeping constantly, doesn't open her eyes much and she just hobbles around. Say a little prayer for us tonight mamas, her appt is at 530 tonight. I hate this.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #190
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I can't remember where I bought mine, but I believe they are all made by the same company. They're pretty cheap on ebay for a few but as many as you have now I'd consider getting them in bulk. http://www.eggcartons.com/Home-Page/Pinless-Peepers
Thanks for thelink. I'll check it out.
I just can't recommend using the pinned ones. It actually pierces the membrane in the nose. As thin and tender as a baby's is, it could do some serious damage if they got it caught on something.
I seriously didn't want the pin kind. I just couldn't find affordable ones in that size that were under 100 quantity. I have to do something. Gonna try blue kote first.
No hatch along for me. I need to survive this one first! More later in the spring if all goes well. I'm hoping by then I'll have a couple new EE layers to add to the diversity of the flock as well. SHHH!!! I would really like to keep one or two females from this hatch. We go thru so many eggs, way more than we ever did before owning chickens but they are just so good and I bake a lot more because of it too.

Watch, now having said that they'll all be roos.
No, that's my luck. Most of my chicks out side look like roos. BUT, with australorp blood, those have a bigger red comb.
Sarah are we going to have to do an intervention on you?
I know right! We REALLY need the meat though. There is a HUGE market here for chicks, and we deff need some help with feed.
Prayers they sell fats, lol. Not a good market for healthy chicks though, so once the word is out, I should do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
You need something acidic in the water, vinegar or lemon juice. Just a splash-prevents the egg from leaking through the hole. Bring to boil and pop a thumbtac hole in the end of the fat side of the egg, where the air cell is. Boil as usual, rinse, toss in a bowl of ice water. The shell comes off almost in one piece. The boys help now it's so darn easy!

Sarah!! You are a rockstar. I am so trying this. We love hardboiled eggs, but NEVER do we get them anymore because I couldn't get the hang of doing it so the fresh eggs would peel. My neighbour always buys an extra dozen from us every two or three weeks, just to hold onto to hard boil. Thank you!!!
Great! I can actually garentee it, lol. I have the worst luck with boiled eggs, no more now though. I now keep them in thefridge for snacking!