Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

I'm so sorry Becky. You are going through so much.

Liz, I keep him in the dang pen. It may calm Sadie down too? Two's a pack kind of thing. The mean girls in my pack, well trouble makers/not mean, are the 2 identical buckeyes. Errr. The br's are kind of a pain too, lol. Every time there is trouble though, those 2 buckeyes are at the front of it all.

How is everyones weather?

So I just snuck out front, yes now have to sneak, to take Meg potty and got instantly bombarded by beggers flying around the corner. How the heck did they hear me? I need to now oil the doors? Lol. We have to sneak and leave too. They are now trying to get OUT of the gate. You should see them run when we try to drive off. Flock of mad hens! SOOO funny. Told Ray we needed to put that on AFV's! or utube at the least. They are like wolves. They actually fly and try to cate up with the vehicles.

Oh that reminds me!!! You will laugh at this one! Picture this in your head, really. The delivery man backs down the drive, here come the girls to investivate, stranger/who cares, He opens the back of the truck and comes out with the dolly, here the girls go making a mad dash for him......Then remember Nemo and the silly "MINE" seagulls? That's how it was, all the way to the door. I had to get a bowl of treats so they would leave him alone and more so he could leave and I could get that gate shut before they followed, haha! Dumb girls! I was so embarised. I garentee it was the first time EVER he met gaurd chickens! I did warn him as he got out of the back. I later appoligised and told him we didn't have a guard, just them. So he was welcome to just come in the gate if it was shut next time. I have to come up with a box for deliveries or something, lol.

This is part of the flock, being their usual Mob when you try to come or go. Don't think I posted this one yet? Ray tried to pull the van up to the house to distrace them while I shut the gate. You can see they did not fall for it! See, look who's at the front, hehe.

Hey Liz, are you ok or did Fred get ya that time?

And forgot to ask, HappyMomma (I don't remember your name hun. ) Did Sparky get ya or was it a miss?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

LOL poor delivery guy! Mine don't pay the meter readers much mind. He was intrigued by them. He said he'd been watching my garden, and them all season and he just basically asked me 100 questions in 5 min. LOL I sent him home with some fresh eggs and he was so excited.

Unfortunately, I don't have a separate pen that I can put them in where all the others will have access to the nesting boxes or I would! He didn't get me but he's getting sneaky about it. He waited until I was bent over fixing the bird mesh until he puffed up his neck and took a step toward me. I warned him sternly and he tried a stomp/kick and I kicked toward him, fixed the wire and when he puffed up again I yanked my shoe and flogged him. Not gonna happen in MY house! Sadie's just been a pain. She is the one that has had all the problems laying, often lays her hen in weird places, never looks quite healthy and is always getting into things. And she's mean. Like I've said before, NEVER EVER getting more Rir's.

The Nemo seaguls! Yes that's exactly how they are! I can't go out the back door when they're out there without getting mobbed!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Beginnings of the coop. Rough right now, lol. I put up the wall on the first picture with the door all by myself this afternoon, going to need another piece of plywood though. Up next is the nesting boxes and shelves. Thinking we might be putting in a floor too because I don't want my babies to get bumblefoot. Siding and roof last and then should be good to go. I got some nipple waterers and I'm going to install them into a bucket. I hope I like them because I certainly don't like the fount type they have now.

Phew! It's been a lot of work, but worth it. I hope it's big enough....
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow Fodie, hun that's great work. Look at how square that door is girl. WTG! I guess we have one thing in common, we can't stand to wait around for someone elese to dilly dally around and get something done. Put our mind to and and it's done. I may not be near as accurate as you though, lol. I suppose on the actual coop, I was more precise. The little queen tractor coop I just wung it. I wanted it done then and I really didn't want Ray to touch it to be honest. He just grumbles about exact measurements and proper pressure treated this, stainless screws that. If we don't have the money, I'm happy to just do it now and get it done with what I can upcycle. Ray will wait for the proper materials. That's why it took forever and a fortune to do our coop.

Seriously though, looks awsome!

Liz, I should have thought to offer some eggs, lol. Can't believe they didn't hop in to steal the mans lunch bag. Great idea!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
How's your injured girl doing Becky?

Speak of the devil, so I look out to check on the chickens and one of my least-favorites Sadie has again gotten into my garden beds and fred followed her. they didn't tear too much up thankfully but in getting them out fred tried to take a swipe at me twice. I took my shoe off and threw it at his rear and launched him. LOL Starting to really dislike the little a hole. Those two always seem to be the leaders of the pack every time they get into trouble.
Shes pretty quiet. Shes eating and pooping and the hole seems to be closing....but no idea other than that.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hope she heals fast Becky!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sarah, it's Chloe that's ok! Yes he did get me! Thank goodness for my generic "ugg" very hi barn boots! They cushioned it, I agree fine line, I wanna enjoy my girls not deal with that!! As soon as I turned my back he did it, I gave him a boot, I'm the one who feeds them!!!

Our old roo sir tophem hat our speckled Sussex was just stunning he attacked our son something horrible. We rehomed him and he was sooooo mean even after a year. I'm not planning on hatching so I don't need them. I heard that fertilized eggs taste better??

Also when we had our pair of speckled Sussex hens (rip sunny) they were just like the nemo pelicans, they would get in our vehicles w us!! No lie we would be bucking kids in seats and they'd come in! Friendliest girls like little dogs.

I heard buckeyes are like that, do yours make good pets? Other then scratching in flower beds?

Btw it's cold n damp here, maybe 40-50's
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, sorry for the bad luck with the roos.

The girls are close to that point of trying to get in the darn vehicles, lol. ALWAYS at our feet. It can get annoying when you need to get something done.

I thought the buckeyes were rir's. Just found out otherwise. They are actually really odd creatures. Just pester you nonstop. I really can't seem to figure out if i like them or hate them. I love they are different and have very distinctive persionalities. Ray just adores their charicter, lol. They fly up and rip snacks from your hands, get up in your face ALL the time, nosey bodys, leader of the pack when it's trouble making time, strong willed, just odd. Not like any bird I have ever met. Here is a pic I have posted before, but it describes them to a T! Trying to take group pics and they get up close in every pic. Stinkers!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes I hate when they're under foot! A few times I almost broke my neck!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I need help. The feild trip was way better than expected! They had the most lovely chickens ever! I wouldn't let up about how much I loved them and we all talked chicken forever, lol. I had an agenda. Well, he sold be 10 hatching eggs for $2!!!!!!!
They forgot the breed, but did say yea to arucana (sp) and americauna. The green egg layers were beautifull and some had blue all over! I only got the 2 pics when we first got there. I sould have gone back. Some were laced, blue, and looked kinds like wyandotes? I'm just amazed at how awsome they were.
So I got 3 georgious green eggs, 1 lrg tan speckled, 2 med-smallish light tan, 1 light cream, a 3 darker tan med-smallish.

Please help identify the breeds. One hen was wht with blk specks. The size of a rir. The others were as big as cochins.

HELP!!!!! YAY!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And cause you all know how much I love pics!