Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #211
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Renee, any ideas to help? Does it just go on and on but never cause a problem? Any thought on the feather regrowth?
She's such a sweetie. Lays daily now too.

Becky, first

Now, what the heck? You poor thing. How come the one is wounded? Fights? And for the record, I HATE the rir and any breed originated from them. With 1 exception, we ended up with a sweet rsl.

Have you thought about a sweet breed. That's why I'm trying to go to mostly cochins. Such HUGE hearts! A cpl sit in my lap. One get under me when kneeling in the garden helping look for worms.

What needs do you have for a breed. TONS of options. TONS! We would all be more than happy to help brain storm with you sweetie.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #212
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here she? is all dry. A cpl more to go. no peeps yet. This one was early, pipped yesterday. It's either ameracauna or AXwyandote. The egg was tinted whitish pink. She has some cute little muffs. I had to fix her little toe.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #213
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Renee, any ideas to help? Does it just go on and on but never cause a problem? Any thought on the feather regrowth?
She's such a sweetie. Lays daily now too.

Becky, first

Now, what the heck? You poor thing. How come the one is wounded? Fights? And for the record, I HATE the rir and any breed originated from them. With 1 exception, we ended up with a sweet rsl.

Have you thought about a sweet breed. That's why I'm trying to go to mostly cochins. Such HUGE hearts! A cpl sit in my lap. One get under me when kneeling in the garden helping look for worms.

What needs do you have for a breed. TONS of options. TONS! We would all be more than happy to help brain storm with you sweetie.
I have no idea for needs. A gentle breed, that lays really well. Like as close to everyday as possible. We can only have max of 6-8 hens and We use 5-6 dozen eggs a month....
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #214
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
And fwiw, the reason this all happened, was because dd got sick in the night and we didn't let them out until 8:30
Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #215
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man Becky, so it was a fight.? I'm sorry! Hope you dd is feeling better.

I know I'm partial, but the cochin is very friendly and lays well. I know some of the other Momas have had good experiences with other breeds.

Well, hope everyone had a wonderfull Thanksgiving!

I had one more hatch before midnight, lol. The others are running late.
Blue laced red wyandotte?

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 11-23-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #216
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No not really a fight. Just being jn the coop too long, amd being bored. Typical stuff
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #217
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Becky I'm so sorry, I think in your case it's a conglomeration of things and I would send the meanies back too. I would start over, were it me, with a single group of sexed chicks so you don't have to mess around with your flock.

Sarah the chicks are cute, I wonder why you're getting so many foot issues? I think you have the breeds right too!

6 days till hatch day and my fan inside the bator has started randomly making a funny noise. I think I'm going to order a new one (this one we took out of an old computer) and have dh replace it. FX this one makes it through this hatch. Figures it would happen now when it's the critical last few days.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #218
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think in this case it was because the egg was so tiny. I have a slip gaurd in the hatcher. I turn daily. Steady temps and humidity. Oh, these were in the bator when the stupid temp spiked!! Come to think about it, all the ones that had the issues with feat and legs were. I read last night it is a big cause of these issues.

Sorry about the fan. The one in my hatcher is mounted on top like a ceiling fan and sometimes gets moved a tad and starts with the sounds. I just move it a smidge and it stops. They vibrate. I have the other one mounted pretty tight so it doesn't do it. Crossin my finger it lasts through hatch for ya!

BTW, ya doin ok hun?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #219
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Oh that makes sense. How high did your temp spike? Mine went up to 101 one day when the water got a little low and while I opened the bator right away and adjusted everything the water wiggler temp stayed at 101 for about 45 minutes. I hope that didn't do any harm. I guess the fan could have just vibrated loose a bit. Doesn't seem to have slowed down at all. I'm doing ok, we've had a lot of distractions the past few days obviously so that helps. I think I'm going to decorate the house up for Christmas to try and scare some happy up in here. LOL
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #220
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The dang thing went to 109! I had been in there 30-60 mins before. So a long time. I've ended up loosing tons of these eggs. I lost the last wyandotte and green/blue eggs just now. SUPER bummed. Super. It was that spike.Errrr.

Oh, don't worry about the 101. I found several universities that recoment 101 temp for a bator with a fan. It's the no fan you have to be super carefull with, so they say.

I'm glad you have been staying busy. I find that really helpfull.

Hey, what day are you on? Is it day 20 for you now? How is the egg you thought may be a double?