Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #231
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

I'm having kind of a hard time figuring out just how old they are. The breeder was kind of difficult to understand. When I e-mailed her about the chicks, her response on November 10 said she had 1-week old and 4-day old chicks. She gave me some of the bigger ones, so that would put them at three weeks old now. One of them is tiny, though. She might be one of the younger ones?

When I picked them up last Saturday, she told me they were 2-3 weeks old. I think it's safest to assume that they are three weeks old as of right now.

My concern about bringing them outside is the temperature. It's below freezing right now. I also worry about trying to catch them and bring them back in once I take them outside. These babies LOVE to fly. Eeeekk.

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts about heating the coop! I read such mixed things. Some say that it MUST be done. Others say that it's a horrible idea, because it turns chickens into wimps who can't handle the cold, and they're totally screwed in the event of a power outage.

The thought of putting a heat lamp in the coop terrifies me because I have read so many stories about coop fires.

Aahh this can be hard! I just want my babies to be happy and safe!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #232
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Bekki- How old are they now? I looked at the baby calender and mine that are outside are 6,7, and 8 weeks. They've been out for around a week I think? Do you just want a daytime playground? or, do you have something like a growout pen for the? For a playground for good weather, they can spend the whole day in something like this: set some pvc poled to cupport the chicken wire, make a corral for them where nothing can get to them, provide a warm spot out of the wind, a light is very helpfull if they get a chill. Sounds like they are getting cabin fever like mine did. Just ready for some sun and spread their wing time. I starte dwith a cpl mins in my lap and then went to an hour in their play ground. Then it wasn't enough so they went in the tractor grow out coop I made for them. They are so much happier. Especially since I sprayed them so the 2 hellyens would leave them in peace.
We do have one of those baby play yards they could play in. I'm pretty sure the holes are way too small for them to squeeze through (must double check that!). I just worry about them flying over! I don't know how high they can fly right now, but they get pretty high in the brooder. lol

We have a little coop with run (yet to be assembled) for them to move into when the time comes. It's going to be a temporary thing until we put up a shed in the spring and convert that into a giant coop.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #233
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
I'm having kind of a hard time figuring out just how old they are. The breeder was kind of difficult to understand. When I e-mailed her about the chicks, her response on November 10 said she had 1-week old and 4-day old chicks. She gave me some of the bigger ones, so that would put them at three weeks old now. One of them is tiny, though. She might be one of the younger ones?

When I picked them up last Saturday, she told me they were 2-3 weeks old. I think it's safest to assume that they are three weeks old as of right now.

My concern about bringing them outside is the temperature. It's below freezing right now. I also worry about trying to catch them and bring them back in once I take them outside. These babies LOVE to fly. Eeeekk.

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts about heating the coop! I read such mixed things. Some say that it MUST be done. Others say that it's a horrible idea, because it turns chickens into wimps who can't handle the cold, and they're totally screwed in the event of a power outage.

The thought of putting a heat lamp in the coop terrifies me because I have read so many stories about coop fires.

Aahh this can be hard! I just want my babies to be happy and safe!
I think heating depends on your coop, the temp conditions you get, ventilation, breed, and what YOU want.

For me it was kinda a no brainer when it started to get cold. We clip the lamps on a good beam or one of the 2X4's. I then put screws in the handle and at the outer edge sandwiching it secure. Even if a chicken hit it full force, it wouldn't fall. My cords are wrapped around the bean and then out. No chance for a hang up. It's the same in the chicks coop. I had to go with 250 bulbs, started with just 1 light and 60 watts. Not even close to enough. I went to 2 250's. One shineing on each side of the coops perches. The key is excelent ventilation. You don't want any condensation! We have vent holes all along the roof and the chickies have the open walkway. I humbely believe that chickens are tougher than we give then credit for, i don't agree I'm makeing them wimpy. I think they will be fine with power outages. Prob fine without the lights too. We need the eggs though and my main reasion is I just want them happy and comfortable. Not to have to rough it, kwim. Now they do produce 10 watts of heat each.

I got that runaround with this last purchase. I was surprised when with proper food, the rocks grew beyond belief and started laying!
I'd go with the youngest date. Or compare the size with the same breed and see how they compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
We do have one of those baby play yards they could play in. I'm pretty sure the holes are way too small for them to squeeze through (must double check that!). I just worry about them flying over! I don't know how high they can fly right now, but they get pretty high in the brooder. lol

We have a little coop with run (yet to be assembled) for them to move into when the time comes. It's going to be a temporary thing until we put up a shed in the spring and convert that into a giant coop.

I use our leftover roll or coop wire, pretty high. Here's apic. I had to move it and do the 4 pvc pipes for support. They no have their own little house though. You can always clip one wing for now.
Here is the 2 pics.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #234
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You gals won't believe this crud. Errr. My nemisis (sp?) Elly May the buckeye won't leave me alone. I have had to run her off 4 times this am. She came up the stairs at the back 3 X!!!!!!!! to flog the door and loudly bok. Wanting more food no dought! :/ Then she came to the front and flogged the glass door! Ray has got to let me ring her neck! Ahhh.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #235
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pritty Henny Penny.

Poor little Patience.

Yes, that's the breast bone.

Hip bone.

Sweet snuggley girl.

She did wonderfull with her first hand feeding this am!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #236
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki you won't turn them into sissies by giving them heat. It will only affect how heavily they feather in for THIS winter. I personally would give them heat if you have rough winters esp with there being so few of them. They aren't going to have a lot of muscle mass yet to make heat and they'll hit their 12 week moult in the dead of winter.

Sarah She seems so sweet, that's going to be tough. She's going to be a lot of work, and since you have talked about a few aggressive hens in your flock (and miss ellymay particularly) I have to wonder if she will harm the little one. Maybe you could try to adopt her out as a lap chicken? It's probably hectic now, and with the garden being expanded next summer and homeschooling I just wonder where you'll find the time to care for her like she's going to need.

AFM: Lockdown! I'm running btwn 99.5-100 heat and 64% humidity which I'm trying to stabilize more around 60% with 2 big vents open for fresh air flow. My eggs are totally dark now so I can't tell if I have any quitters but the air cells are bigger than they were on day 14 so that's a good sign. FX for 100% hatches for both of us Sarah!

Sorry about your blue eggs, but remember I'm sending you more, come spring. We'll get ya some EE babies yet! Any more wyandottes hatch out? I love the blue laced reds.

ETA - sarah your comment about miss ellymay made me think of my norah, one of my speckled sussexes. She's so pushy! I walked in the coop with a bag of apple trimmings from making pies for T-day and before I could even close the door she was jumping at the bag and even caught it and hung on for a second! Rude little snot! LOL She steals food from the kids if they hold it low enough that she can jump and get it too. But she's never flogged the door, that's an impressively smart hen. LOL

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #237
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

eggs are moving and shakin'! Been checking the humidity hourly since this is the first day changing it and it often takes a good 24 hrs for it to settle. The light popped on and egg #3, one of carmen's reacted to the sudden light by doing a little jiggle. I stood and watched and I see three shaking around. Brooder's all ready, I can't wait to see them! Don't hear peeping yet but my fan is pretty loud.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #238
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Bekki you won't turn them into sissies by giving them heat. It will only affect how heavily they feather in for THIS winter. I personally would give them heat if you have rough winters esp with there being so few of them. They aren't going to have a lot of muscle mass yet to make heat and they'll hit their 12 week moult in the dead of winter.
Agreed!
Sarah She seems so sweet, that's going to be tough. She's going to be a lot of work, and since you have talked about a few aggressive hens in your flock (and miss ellymay particularly) I have to wonder if she will harm the little one. Maybe you could try to adopt her out as a lap chicken? It's probably hectic now, and with the garden being expanded next summer and homeschooling I just wonder where you'll find the time to care for her like she's going to need.
I know, I know. I'm really batteling what to do. I made her a little house today. Took half the day. It looks a little rough, but it's pretty nice I'd say. Like a dog house, lol.

I'm gonna let her lead the way and see what happens. If she makes it to merge time, I'll intigrate her with all of the others so she's not singled out. I know she would go straight to meat if I rehomed her. Or let either choke to death or starve. I figure it will be good for her even if I can give her a happy year. Sure I don't want to deal with it. The only thing that would be diff is grinding her food and feeding her at meal time in the run locked till she could finish. I don't think she will get picked on. The girls pick at all the new little girls, but they never keep at it long. Just a pecking order kind of thing, average. I have some super shy gals out there that are at the bottom, but still do well. If it doesn't work, I'll rehome her. Ah, I just don't know. I only plan to hand feed her for a cpl days. Just a good start. Then we will see. She's actually almost emptied her bowl of ground feed!
AFM: Lockdown! I'm running btwn 99.5-100 heat and 64% humidity which I'm trying to stabilize more around 60% with 2 big vents open for fresh air flow. My eggs are totally dark now so I can't tell if I have any quitters but the air cells are bigger than they were on day 14 so that's a good sign. FX for 100% hatches for both of us Sarah!

Sorry about your blue eggs, but remember I'm sending you more, come spring. We'll get ya some EE babies yet! Any more wyandottes hatch out? I love the blue laced reds.
Woohoo! I love to see them move, lol. I remember! That's why I'm not litteraly in tears! I want some EE's so bad! Nope, the last of the wyan's quit. It peeped and popped a blood vesil. I'm pretty sure it inhailed blood. Didn't look like enough to bleed out. I should have known something was wrong when it stoped peeping. It never cracked the shell, just the air cell.
ETA - sarah your comment about miss ellymay made me think of my norah, one of my speckled sussexes. She's so pushy! I walked in the coop with a bag of apple trimmings from making pies for T-day and before I could even close the door she was jumping at the bag and even caught it and hung on for a second! Rude little snot! LOL She steals food from the kids if they hold it low enough that she can jump and get it too. But she's never flogged the door, that's an impressively smart hen. LOL
Hahah, soulds like her! Stinker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
eggs are moving and shakin'! Been checking the humidity hourly since this is the first day changing it and it often takes a good 24 hrs for it to settle. The light popped on and egg #3, one of carmen's reacted to the sudden light by doing a little jiggle. I stood and watched and I see three shaking around. Brooder's all ready, I can't wait to see them! Don't hear peeping yet but my fan is pretty loud.
Yipee. I'm so excited for you!!! I bet you are all ready! You better be at ready for pics now!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #239
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

aw bummer that they quit. How many wyandottes did you get?

I'm excited but trying to contain it because it's going to be a long three days if I keep staring at them.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #240
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just the one little chipmunk and the blue laced red wyan. I'm real bummed, had to be the stupid temp spike. I lost so many. Remember the batch before that was like what, 90%, something good. I'm sure hopefull this round with the much more controlled enviroment.

I know girl, you had me runnin in there to stare at mine to see if any were rollin, lol. MUST NOT TOUCH!! hehe.

Night.