Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #261
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

So this am the little one hadn't made any more progress beyond one little chip so feeling that this was a bad situation with the long, small egg and the wrong end pip I made the call to help him because it was low risk to the other chicks since nobody else has pipped yet. I zipped the shell all the way around. I accidentally touched the membrane next to the hole he pipped and it bled a tiny bit but stopped, thank god. He/she is still moving well, sticking it's beak thru the hole and peeping. I threw a wet washcloth in the brooder to bring the humidity up a bit for all of them and I've been sticking a straw with warm water in it thru the vent hole to keep the membrane moist on the pipped guy. Hoping it makes it!

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #262
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great more with the straw!!!! Smart thinking. Little prayer for the little fella!

I have 3 unpipped still. No sound and I went ahead and candeled them and I see quite a bit of air/light shines through. Either they hve pipped the membrain or are faild, or....developed very slowly. I'll make the call tonight of what to do. The others hatched a while ago, so these appear to be?? fail?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #263
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Hm.. hopefully just late sarah!

Here's the little runt (#5), he/she has needed so much help. In such a weird position and tuckered out. Still breathing well and pushing every so often. If she's not fully out by bedtime tonight I may try to help her out. Lacy's eggs appear to have a very thick membrane. My dad even commented on it when he has used her eggs to eat. Wonder what causes that? I've been reaching a wire through the vent to pick the membrane away from her face. She looks like she's going to be a pretty one!

I have another pip! egg #4, another one of lacy's pipped while I was helping the other one. This one is thankfully on the air cell side. It's the big/heavy one. I believe it's just one chick, just a big chick so we'll see! Thankful that I won't have to help this one, figures my first would be a toughie.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-27-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #264
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liz, to know when to peal back membrain: wet it and see if there are any red veins. If there is, let it be. If it's all clear, you could be able to peal it back. With the size of that hole, it should be able to get out as soon as the yolk is absorbed. They know when it's time to wiggle loose somehow, lol. I have had them take a day when open that much. If you procede and the veins arn't all dried up and absorbed, the bleeding from the umbilicus is very hard to stop. The one I just did looked ready and had this problem. I ALWAYS keep one of those $ store men's shaveing stop blood sticks on hand. If you have to hatch it, be ready to grab the umbilicus fast and squeeze tight. Hold it for a full 2-3 mins! I also keep neosporin handy. I have had some nasty stumps that have all healed 100% this way. If it doesn't hatch on it's own, you almost always have a leg or foot problem.

Congrats on the second pip!!

Well, I took the 3 leftover eggs and candled them. No movement so I covered them well and made a small pip in the air cell. Covered so no more eggsplosions on me!!!! 2 wew gonners around day 18. One wasn't dated and the dag um thing was from the other batch! Ugh. I didn't even nic the membrain to I has a roll of tp for guests, grabbed it and moistened it. I very gently packed the opening. Please, Please, Please be ok!!!!!!

So I have more crap for events here. I got the van burried out back today. Forgot Ray brought up about 5" of good soil from down back and covered all the area on the one side of the drive. It's been pouring here and all dirt here become like sludge when wet and not pack down. I went to pull around his truck when we got back from pu feed and sank, BAD! So he woke up to get ready for work tonight and had to get me out. I didn't wanna risk making it worse. Had to carry the boys to the drive. Almost fedd and thank the Lord I was wearing my boots! I sank to the layer he covered.

The worst part is I went to feed the chicks and one had somehow gotten ahold of a string and hung it in the fence. It was hanging there with the tongue almost ripped out! AHHH! He's fine. I ripped the pen open and grabbed him. Got some scissors and cut it all out of his tongue. He's ok somehow. It's all ripped up, but he sure gobbled down food like it never happened.

Next to worse----------Dumb bu## Elly May has been on a nest all day. Thought she was having trouble? NOPE. No feathers on her tummy and had an egg under her. Fought me bad but she's now housed in the run. No I have to worry about her!

I know I shouldn't udder the words, but what is gonna happen next?

Really?

Errrr............................................. ...

Sorry for the rant.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #265
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah! Don't ever ask that question. LOL Sorry about your quitters, hope the lo makes it and stinkin' Elly may!! And on the chick with the string.. it takes a male, right? LOL

That's as far as I helped her, gosh does she ever look like her mama. She's sleeping so I'm letting her be unless the egg sticks to her when she decides to kick out. She's awfully tired. Poor thing must have been trying all night. I just wanted to get her head clear so that I could be sure she was breathing. I hated doing it, I really didn't want to help but somehow I knew if I didn't she'd die. The way she's in there there is no way she could have zipped. I sure hope everyone else is normal.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #266
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, don't be affraid to help. You'll get that instinct. You did right imho. I didn't mean to scare ya. I just wished I had known all that before I had to help my first.

The membrain is super bad to stick as it dries. I always try to keep it folded back over the shell or snipped off. If that makes sense? It's so impossible to keep it moist.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #267
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Oh I know, and I appreciate the info. I have been so nervous all day long, hoping I didn't cause her other issues.

Dang it all, I looked outside earlier to check on the flock and there's fat old Rudy, standing next to the EE girls dustbathing, plucking their back fluff out. WTH is it with these girls!! I put her glasses back on. Has had them off for a good 2mos no issues now this.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #268
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wanna know hat the chicken man said.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #269
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Excited to read of today's events! Wish I had more time to post.

Gimpy with the one compound fracture is 4 weeks old tomorrow, still hopping around, not using the broken leg, only to scratch his chin or something. It healed, but to where it is sticking out to the outside of his body. Found a big open gash today on the thigh of his good leg. Looks like the skin just split open or something and is exposing the pink flesh, about the size of 1/3 length of my pinky, so pretty big for him because his growth is so stunted he looks a week old.

I gave the new leg wound a flush with iodine warm water mixture and put some neosporin on it. I have him indoors now in the bottom of our finch cage. They are not bothering him at all, thankfully. I have no idea how this injury even happened. His skin just must be really paper thin or something and maybe got caught on something, have no clue.

When I first saw the new wound I thought that's it, I am putting him out of his misery. But then treated the wound and he is just so darn sweet and precious, eating and drinking and hopping around happily. He makes this sweet tweet like a canary, I am attached. He is a polish, so not the cuddly type, but he sure is vocal and sings like crazy.

The rest of the flock is outdoors in the coop now, will try to post a pic ASAP. They are happy and healthy, loving being out of the garage. Sould hit 78 on Monday, won't need the heat lamp that day.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #270
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
I wanna know hat the chicken man said.
I thought this was a riddle at first, and then I finally got it
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote