Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #271
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Oh man sorry Liz.

Yea Becki, it's killing me to know too, lol. How's the trouble makers?

Michelle, I was wondering how he was. Sorry to hear he got hurt again. Poor fella.

Lol Fodie.

Sounds like we all had cruddy days! Minus Fodie.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #272
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Here are some pics.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 01-21-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #273
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awsome Michelle! How many are there again? I also forgot the age? I love the setup!!!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #274
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Awsome Michelle! How many are there again? I also forgot the age? I love the setup!!!!
Thank you! We adore this lil coop and so do the chicks, it has everything we need, nest boxes up top in back and a drop down door for gathering eggs. We plan on mostly free ranging when they are bigger, so they will be overnighting in the coop.

Ok, so we have the following:

Standards:
1 White Cochin pullet, my only pick and only one that was guaranteed pullet. The rest we got straight run and multiples in case of Roos, which we will have to part with.
2 Buff lace polish 1 is our poor Gimpy
2 Black polish

Bantams:
Red frizzle, 1 red frizzle that didn't frizz
2 Black frizzle
Red silkie
Buff silkie
2 Buff seabright
2 Mille fleu d'uccles

We have 15 total, hoping to have a flock of maybe 7 or 8 hens. Not sure how it is going to turn out, but that is part of the fun, right?

ETA: Born 10-31-12

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #275
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Got a photo-bomb for you ladies, hehe. A pic of Patients mouth with no tongue, Cayden won this book on the chicken chick's site, a house down the road that got tp's again (it had the whole car covered all the way in post it notes but when I got back with the cam that was gone), A pic of some of the olders still in the house, many ages, the news, lovely orange french toast, Harmony's new little house I made the other day (now has chips and is moved my the chicks outside with a fence and removable perch for broodies in the future), and the 2 t-giving babies. Oh, William doin an Al Bundy!!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #276
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Michelle, I just love your flock variety!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #277
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Michelle, I just love your flock variety!!!
I will tell my dd, she picked everything except the white Cochin!

Thanks!!

Was wondering when buying chicks, how many do you usually factor in as being Roos, wondering if we are way off guessing half could be roo.

Do you ever add extra to your orders to help account for losses or injuries, like this one coming with a broken foot?

When you would like to have a flock of a certain number, how many "over" do you normally order to factor in for the variety of problems that may lower your ideal flock count? Also considering losses from things like hawks...is this ever factored in ahead of time?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #278
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah, love the photo bomb! Your boys are adorable! Do they helps lots with the chicks?

Ariana was the impetus to our getting chicks in the first place last time we had a flock.

I read about the chicken getting caught in the string, did it really take the whole tongue out?! Man, these chicks have it rough!

ETA: You made that house? That is empowering, I have always wanted to make something else, a bonus run or coop for our chicks. We got ours off Craigslist, someone makes them the size you want, you just shell out the dough.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #279
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
I will tell my dd, she picked everything except the white Cochin!

Thanks!!
My true love is the cohcin! In every way!
Was wondering when buying chicks, how many do you usually factor in as being Roos, wondering if we are way off guessing half could be roo.

Do you ever add extra to your orders to help account for losses or injuries, like this one coming with a broken foot?

When you would like to have a flock of a certain number, how many "over" do you normally order to factor in for the variety of problems that may lower your ideal flock count? Also considering losses from things like hawks...is this ever factored in ahead of time?
?? No idea. I bought my orriginal from flat out liers that used me to unload over priced roos. One guy charged extra for the feather sexing. I hatch my own now. I have (6 wo's) 15 outside, 19 big hens and the roo, 7 young in the brooder, 8 ittys in another brooder, and 14 in the bator (the egg from tonight passed.).
We will eat all the roos and many of the hens, a cpl of the best will replace some older non-layers, a cpl will be additions, and some may be sold. It was always the plan. Dual purpouse. I end up with about 30-40 % roos with our hatches. Not bad. As soon as it warms up I will start processing then, some of them. That will feed up well for a while! Lord willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Sarah, love the photo bomb! Your boys are adorable! Do they helps lots with the chicks?
They LOVE to help, every step of the way. the chickens are technically Cayden's, lol. I just do the majority or the care and worry.
Ariana was the impetus to our getting chicks in the first place last time we had a flock.

I read about the chicken getting caught in the string, did it really take the whole tongue out?! Man, these chicks have it rough!

I tell you it looked like part of the esophagus was pulling out. Didn't amputate, just gashed it all up. I didn't know what to do and paniced. I litterally ripped the wire off the pen to get to the corner where he was. Believe me or not, he was eating 5 mins after I brought him in! Didn't look like he had been there long though.

ETA: You made that house? That is empowering, I have always wanted to make something else, a bonus run or coop for our chicks. We got ours off Craigslist, someone makes them the size you want, you just shell out the dough.
I was determined to start doing the small projects on my own. Here is the little moveable grow out one I made for them: They get tarped in bad weather and at night. There is a light that shines the whole length of the coop part. They seem so much happier out there. can't wait to let them free range with the big girls later on. Hope they do ok. I want to transition them to the main coop as fast as possible if that goes smoothly. That's kinda far off though.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #280
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6

I thought this was a riddle at first, and then I finally got it
Stupid auto correct
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote