Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #291
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Ok so you're forewarned, I'm gonna photo bomb the thread probably this week. Had to snap a pic, I walked past the brooder while she was sleeping to check on the eggs and she was flat on her belly, foot outstretched behind her. LOL How did I forget all the silly cute things they do?

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #292
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

We had our first egg this morning. ODS ate it and said it was great!!
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #293
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

OMG I love the chick pics!!! They make my chicks look so big now!

I heard back from the breeder, and we're going to meet sometime to swap the babies. She's put aside two girls for me.

Now I have learned that a local woman is selling 14-month-old FBCM layers for $11. Kinda wish I had room in our little coop, because I would love to have eggs NOW! DH is going to put it together this weekend, then we will see. I don't want to crowd them, but I already want more chickens!

The babies are starting to get a little better about my presence. Teriyaki gets VERY excited every time I come to the basement. She runs right to the door of the crate and looks right up at me with her head cocked to the side. She still runs away when my hand goes inside the brooder, but she is the last to escape. I think she will be the first one to tolerate me. LOL

Oh, and there is no doubt now that my two suspected roos are all boy. In the last two days, they have really developed on the comb & wattle front. There is a stark difference between them and the girls.

I hope the swap doesn't bother them too much. I'm going to miss the boys that are going back - especially the little one! Can't keep three roosters, though. No way!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #294
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats Heidi!!!! Love those firsts, lol.

Liz, I'm sorry about #1. Gongrats on how well the other is doing. What a DARLING!!!!

Bekki, sounds like they are doingawsome! Hope the new girls warm up fast too! That is so cool she is willing to swap. Are these a feather footed breed? You may have lucked out with not getting older chickens. I sure as heck learned my lesson! Scaley leg, cocci, old hens, non-layers, won't use a box, won't perch, stuck in starvation mode, the list goes on! The biggest issue is the lies about age. It's near impossible to tell too.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #295
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Smile Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawheid View Post
We had our first egg this morning. ODS ate it and said it was great!!
So exciting!

How old was your hen?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #296
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
So exciting!

How old was your hen?
She's only 15 wks. I was so surprised. I really didn't expect eggs till January.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #297
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Congrats Heidi!! Wow that is early! What is her breed?

Bekki, pics! They change so fast.

Both carmen's eggs hatched about 20min ago! They're dark looks like with some blond on the beard. I'll post pics when they are dry, they look nice and healthy and active! Just one left, the one of Lacy's I set late. It's got a good pip hole going and the chirping of the babies around it is encouraging it. FX it makes it out ok. I think it's pipped on the short end as well. So far it's moving ok.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #298
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Got 3 eggs today again, which is a good day now that the days are shorter and colder. And the funny thing is, since the 2 flocks are seperated, the wyndottes are laying 3-4 eggs a week again. Guess the stress was too much for them.

We are dividing off the coop this weekend so eventually we can put them back together.

Come febuary its game on again
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #299
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like you've got it figured out Becky. Glad your girls are laying again! What kind are you thinking of for your new flock?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #300
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow I lurk alot because I can't keep up with this thread! Liz so sorry about baby #1 but Sophia is cute! All americauna to.

Aren't first eggs great! I'm still excited everyday to collect our girls eggs.

I have a question, we now have a hen who lays HUGE brown eggs, I'm just not sure who? We have three EE so it's not them, one black jersey giant and I've seen her eggs they're small! Four barred rocks, three salmon faverelles, a speckled Sussex (sure it's not her) two buffs but I think only our healthy one lays, and our "mystery" chick which I believe to be a golden laced wyandotte-do they lay bigger brown eggs? I wish I could be a fly in the wall all day in there!

FTR we are doing a heat lamp this year, haven't in the past-our girls love it. There is such conflicting info out there. I think it's important to have adequate ventilation as Sarah mentioned and also take into consideration your climate.

Oh and since our three squirly EE still get out and take Tillie our JJ w, my DH found another nest in the woods w 14 eggs!!! I get so mad, I could be eating those!lol!! I have to get game bird netting to cover our run, ugh!

Sarah your boys are precious, they are all boy! Country boys! I love it!

Night,
Chloe